Will the new core engine upgrades benefit older computers? (DLSS and Multi Threading)

Sheepy

Good day 🙂

As the title mentioned will the new core upgrades like Multi Threading benefit older systems. I currently have a 9700k, 1070Ti and 1440P monitor. The game runs I would say ok to nice in most instances with most settings on High and then Antialiasing just enough to not make it look edgy (40-80FPS). I don't think with my current GPU DLSS would do much for me. Hopefully I can get my hands on a RTX card soon.

Thanks

• Like 1

i7-9700K || GTX 1080 Ti || 32Gig 3200 RAM || 1TB NVME & 1TB SSD || X56, Track IR, CH Pro Rudder Pedals

Well regarding multithreading it should make a difference since your 9700k is an 8 core CPU so in theory it would benefit from multithreading...

Your GPU might not benefit from DLSS since is seems that DLSS is only available for NVIdia 20xx generation and newer...

• Like 4

Aircrafts: F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-15E, JF-17, F-16C, A-10C II, AH-64D, Black Shark 3,  Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, FW 190-D, Spitfire LF Mk.,  FC3 + some mods 🙂

Maps: Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, Afghanistan

Packages: Supercruiser, Combined Arms, WW2 Asset Pack

System: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x@3.70GHz, 32GB Ram, Sapphire Radeon RX 580, Samsung 870 Evo 1TB SSD, Win10Pro 64 Bit, 2x24" BENQ

Equipment: TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TRP Pedals, Total Control Multi Button Box, TM MFD Cougar, TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro

You'd Hypothetically see improvements in the 2 Scenarios where you were CPU Bound due to CPU Overhead,
-When MT Launches you'd see improvements where you were CPU Bound due to AI Scripting and Objects bogging down a Mission.
-When Vulkan Launches you'd also see improvements where you were CPU Bound due to DirectX Draw Call Overhead.

outside of those 2 scenarios, you cannot use DLSS without an RTX GPU.

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You can use NIS, though, so that might be of some use. It's not DLSS, but it should be something of an improvement. Beyond that, Vulkan and MT will hopefully bring improvements for everyone. Sadly, it does not currently look like a total overhaul, they seem to be attempting to replicate old functionality exactly and perhaps reuse old code, so the way I see it, we won't see as much gain as we would have with a system designed for those things from ground up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:32 PM, Sheepy said:

Thanks for all the answers. Hopefully I can get my hands on a RTX soon.

DLSS can seem like literal witchcraft, too. It's well worth it. I don't use it much at all on my 3080, but it will seem like absolute black magic when it is used.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I've started looking at a 3080ti, but it'll be long till I can afford one. Prices where I live are insane, my only realistic chance is a used one. Till I can get it, I hope that natively supported NIS will provide a better experience than one that comes with OpenXR toolkit (which is OK, but not great).

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I've started looking at a 3080ti, but it'll be long till I can afford one. Prices where I live are insane, my only realistic chance is a used one. Till I can get it, I hope that natively supported NIS will provide a better experience than one that comes with OpenXR toolkit (which is OK, but not great).

That's what I did. Got a 3090 for $750, 3080ti was $725 and 3080 was $700. No regrets, applied the undervolt as recommended and been bangin' ever since. After the last round of patches to DCS, OpenXR, OpenComposite, etc, I've finally got everything in a good place with good framerates, high res, and acceptable smoothness. I consider my rig DCS VR capable at last! At least until the next patch and or hardware failure borks it all and I have to start over. The engine improvements inbound should push me into truly stellar territory.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I get 45~ FPS on a MSi 7970 Lightning w/ DCS OB, And that's with a few things on High, If I Drop everything to low, pretty sure 60 FPS is possible.

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs