We need a way to measure objects in the VR world?

The_Nephilim

NVM!!

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

3 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hey everybody,

I was trying to get the scale of my Cockpits to be accurate. I know if you mess with the IPD setting in the options menu this will do that but I seem to be way off from what most average set is.

From what I see the F16 looks way to small from just gauging my Thrustmaster MFD's to what I see in the game, heck even the Stick looks to small. How am I to accurately get this setting so the cockpit is a 1:1 scalle if I was sitting in it..

I was looking for a Tape measure utility that would let me measure objects ingame but I did not see such an app. I was wondering since there is no app are we to just eyeball what we think is correct to get the cockpit to look to scale?

If so, why am I so off from what most set it at.. Does anyone know of a measeuring program I could use in DCS to measure the MFD or a know sized part and set it accordingly?

Tape measure inside VR would be pointless as it itself would be off scale.  You need to compare it to RL.  Place your controllers in VR at points you want to measure from and to.  Corner of left and right MFD for example.  Then measure the distance between your controllers in RL.

You will most likely find that the scale of the models are correct.  It is the distortion of the lens and in-game VR camera focal length that throws off the scale.

2 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hey everybody,

I was trying to get the scale of my Cockpits to be accurate. I know if you mess with the IPD setting in the options menu this will do that but I seem to be way off from what most average set is.

From what I see the F16 looks way to small from just gauging my Thrustmaster MFD's to what I see in the game, heck even the Stick looks to small. How am I to accurately get this setting so the cockpit is a 1:1 scalle if I was sitting in it..

I was looking for a Tape measure utility that would let me measure objects ingame but I did not see such an app. I was wondering since there is no app are we to just eyeball what we think is correct to get the cockpit to look to scale?

If so, why am I so off from what most set it at.. Does anyone know of a measeuring program I could use in DCS to measure the MFD or a know sized part and set it accordingly?

I owned the old cougar hotas which is a replica and remember the size and alter accordingly and can tell ya the sick default is way to small. 

edit: I just go by stick sizes in he pits.

Edited by freehand

Well it was easier to measure the MFD's when I had the big 92" DLP Projector screen and I can tell you they where life size. I have a similar feeling with VR but I was just trying to find a way to be a little bit more accurate then just eyeballing it up..

My Current IDP setting in DCS is 33 and at that number it seems close to life size and I am not some giant in a toy plane..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

2 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

My Current IDP setting in DCS is 33

Unless you're ill-born with tiny head you have the setting wrong. Make a measurement between your eyes' center points and set it right. Average is 63mm.

Maybe you also have set this elsewhere in your headset driver/software?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

vor 1 Stunde schrieb draconus:

Unless you're ill-born with tiny head you have the setting wrong. Make a measurement between your eyes' center points and set it right. Average is 63mm.

Using 63 too - feels "realistic"

i9-9900K / Bios Profile XMP1 / Rog Strix Z-390F Gaming / Zotac Geforce RTX-3070ti Trinity OC / 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 / Saitek X52 HOTAS / Pico 4

I think this also depends slightly on the HMD.   I have a Pimax 8kx, and I use 64.5mm IPD on the headset (my actual measured IPD is 66mm), and I use 66mm IPD in DCS.   I have the Winwing F18 setup, and I mounted it on a frame built from 2080 extrusion so I could get them positioned as per real-life.  I find that the above settings perfectly match my VR scale to RL scale.

As draconus suggested, measuring your own IPD and using that as the setting in DCS isn't a bad starting point.

• Like 1

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

2 hours ago, freehand said:

The ipd setting in game are for scale and are different to your head set. 

That is correct - but if you're using a Leapmotion controller, like me, it has a profound effect on the relationship between VR scale and RL scale.  I've found that the optimum DCS IPD value to be not too far off of your actual RL IPD.

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

16 hours ago, draconus said:

OK NVM I will look elsewhere..

27 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Well I think you all have it wrong and have huge heads or something. At 33 world setting the ingame cockpit feel the right size. I have the headset it self set at 66IPD like it should be.. 

At a higher number the cockpit gets small and does not look real.. I am sure there is something wierd going on here but the measurement thing would solve all this.. 

There are two things that affects sense of scale.

1.  If you look at your car through binoculars, it would look huge.  If you measure your car while looking through binoculars, you'll find that the measurement is correct.  But it still looks huge.  This is focal length.

2.  In-game IPD adjusts the separation of left and right camera within the game.  By lowering it, you're basically making your in-game head small.  Which in turn makes the world bigger.  SteamVR calls this World Scale which is more appropriate.

Ideally, we'd want a way to adjust #1, the focal length of in-game left/right camera because it's headset/user dependent.  G2 I believe have 2.5m focal length and Quest I heard has 1.5m.  It also depends on custom lens, glasses/contacts etc.  But since DCS doesn't give you focal length adjustment, only option we have to offset that scale is with #2.  So use whatever value you feel happy with.

But again, it's "SENSE" of scale.  Measuring while your measurement tool in VR is also affected by #1 and 2 would be pointless.  Actual scale of the in-game 3D models were all accurate when measured them with passthrough camera of my HMD.

Edited by Taz1004

4 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Actual scale of the in-game 3D models were all accurate when measured them with passthrough camera of my HMD.

Yep, only AR can tell you the truth. You can setup the same scene in both DCS and RL with the object of known size (cars are probably the easiest) and compare RL vs VR.

The simple quick and easy method is to just look at your VR pilot body (adjust if you're much bigger/smaller*) - how the stick look against your hand? how far do you see your feet when seated?

*Keep in mind if you're way out of standard size you wouldn't be allowed as a pilot in the first place, so you won't feel good in VR cockpit either 🙂

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I remember when I had a oculus cv1 and sat for the first time in the A10 and looked out of the window and looked scary big drop to the ground out side but now the Hight sensation sitting in the A10 has gone.

Only the CV1 gave a nice sensation of Hight the : oculus rift S the odyssey the HP reverb G1 and G2 does not.