Ugly color banding on objects at low sun conditions (OB 2.8.2.35759)

malarcky

I am getting this weird strip pattern with shadows on low/mid/high setting. Anisotropic, msaa and ssaa seems to have no effect, only disappears if I disable shadows. Dont remember to have this problem on the previous version. Also you can only see them on certaing angles, mainly on top view. Also tried deleting shaders and fx folder, no effect.

1ECOsdb.thumb.png.31bd647cbdb6fe28aaa5e472f77b9922.png

hLcJ9w9.thumb.png.20457155d48b614881f03bb33a792ff3.png

• 2 years later...

I just updated open beta to 2.8.2.35682, but I don't know if that's when this issue started. I noticed that when flying the Caucases Free Flight mission just to test the update, and while in the F4 view, there are evenly spaced lines all across the wing that change in spacing and angle as the orientation of the aircraft changes. 

I've marked some of them in red in the screenshot below. In this orientation flying straight and level after setting the AP to Heading and allowing the aircraft to change course and settle out they extend from the front to the rear of the wing as shown. Also in this specific orientation, they creep slightly to the right every few seconds.

FA-18C F4 View.JPG

Track file attached.

Thank you!

FA-18C Caucuses Free Flight F4 view.trk

Edited by GeneralDynamics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

• GeneralDynamics changed the title to FA-18C Caucuses Free Flight F4 view - moving lines on wings

Hi,

I'm seeing weird lines on textures since the last update....

Don't recall seeing them before this patch, anyone else?

I've done a cache delete, FXO and metashaders etc

weird lines.trk

Most of these shots are slightly exaggerated to get the point across, but I see them out of the window and across the cockpit textures sometimes too.

Screen_230126_202048.jpg

Screen_230126_202005.jpg
Screen_230126_201016.jpg
Screen_230126_201212.jpg

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

• jonsky7 changed the title to Weird lines on aircraft textures since update
  • jonsky7 changed the title to Weird lines on aircraft textures since update - shadow banding
1 hour ago, The Oligopolist said:

It's banding in the shadows.

I'm using GTX 1060 6GB here and also seeing it.

Yeah, turning shadows off removes the lines, but not having shadows isn't much of a fix. 

They get wider and worse the lower the setting you use for shadows.

Edited by jonsky7
  • Thanks 1

RTX3080, i7 7770k, 32gb 3200hw ram, SSD, windows 10.

You will notice the lines if you fixate at the throttle.

Edit: Im not sure my problem is the same as people seem to be having in this topic because I dont see the lines outside of the cockpit or on the airframe at all, its only when looking in certain areas of the cockpit. And they move as I move my head.

Edited by Pekins

1 hour ago, LieutenantFalcon said:

I have this issue as well, so I've just come here to dump some system info as well to get a fix figured out.

Thanks. The fix is already in the making.

• Like 3

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Noticed the same. With big zoom from VR picture:

ayGseKm.jpg

Good to know that it will be solved, it doesnt look good.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

23 hours ago, Pekins said:

RTX3080, i7 7770k, 32gb 3200hw ram, SSD, windows 10.

You will notice the lines if you fixate at the throttle.

Edit: Im not sure my problem is the same as people seem to be having in this topic because I dont see the lines outside of the cockpit or on the airframe at all, its only when looking in certain areas of the cockpit. And they move as I move my head.

I get that too, as if there is some sort of "film" or texture over the camera lens, really bugs me sometimes.

7 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

I get that too, as if there is some sort of "film" or texture over the camera lens, really bugs me sometimes.

Yup that is exactly what I have, doesn't seem to be the same thing as people are posting tho.

The 2.8.2.35759 OB patch produces ugly color banding on airframes and other surfaces like the tarmac which is worst at low sun conditions (example: M2000 Nevada take-off instant action). In this OB the gamma defaulted at 1.8 so I checked with both 2.0 and 2.2 also but the banding was the same. At first I tought that my G2 produced the banding but fortunately the screenshots also contained it. Check those out for reference.

Screen_230131_220722.jpg

Screen_230131_220354.jpg

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP