MiG-29 A/G/S have no LODs

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

This issue has been reported by @NineLine but it was handled inside a report for a different issue which has now been resolved and will likely be closed in the future. I'm creating this thread to have a place to track it's progress through different Open Beta updates until it is resolved.

The MiG-29 variants in DCS do not have lighter LODs. Under certain conditions the full detail model will still render at a range of more than 75km.
The evidence for this issue is the .lods file for each variant and the absence of relevant .edm files in the shapes folder.
This issue is still present in DCS Open Beta 2.8.2.35632

mig29_lods.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Flappie said:

Yes, it will.

Nice to hear that. Now for the following step we also need Lods for Yak-52 and CEII. 

Not that anyone uses it actively but I see them as static background objects in missions made by ED or some other people unknowingly. Which hurts perf a lot. 

Edit: Sorry I forgot CEII is not from ED. I hope M3 guys will add it's lods together with missing Mig-21 Lods. 

Edited by Rapierarch
Additional info:
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rapierarch said:

Nice to hear that. Now for the following step we also need Lods for Yak-52 and CEII.

I've just bumped the Yak-52 internal report.

I've just reported that the CEII is missing lods. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check all other modules just in case.

• Like 5

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:03 AM, Flappie said:

I've just bumped the Yak-52 internal report.

I've just reported that the CEII is missing lods. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check all other modules just in case.

Thanks Flappie.
The MB-339 has no lods.
The MiG-21 and Mirage F1CE have lod transitions in their .lods file but some, or all of the transitions re-use the highest detail LOD0 model.
All would be worth a bump as it has been a long time since these issues were reported to the 3rd party developers and no changes have happened.

EDIT:
I see you have reported the MB-339 issue. Thanks again.

Edited by Moezilla
new info
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Moezilla said:

All would be worth a bump as it has been a long time since these issues were reported to the 3rd party developers and no changes have happened.

I did already for both CEII and MiG-21.

I spent an evening checking all LODs. Two Gazelles lack a few LOD levels. The AI "F-18C" unit, the new Kuz, the HMS Invincible and the 25 di Mayo have none. All are now reported.

A few legacy units also have no LODs but they are so low-poly that it's not worth reporting them.

Thanks for mentioning the F1, it had gone under my radar, if I may say so. I'll check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.