Changing coalition on unit group changes all units to selected category erroneously

cfrag

I'm seeing some strange ME behavior that IMOH exceeds 'feature' and lands squarely in the 'bug' category.

Here's the set up:
Create a red group belonging to country 'Russia', composed of multiple vehicles of multiple sub-categories: say armor and AAA

Then, change's the country from Russia to Combines Joint Task Force Red (a country that is guaranteed to have access to all units types).

Expectation:
The group's individual unit composition is identical, merely the country ID changes.

What I see instead:
Some of the units will now have their type radically changed. If you had mixed AAA and Armor, you'll and up with a group entirely composed out of AAA or Armor, and the vehicles that jumped category, are now very, very different (e.g. a Flak Gun instead of a BTR-80). If I was to speculate, it looks as if during the conversion process to the other country, the category lookup is screwed up, and the converted vehicle's former index into the old subcategory (e.g. Armor) is used as index into the (wrongly converted) category for all (here AAA). This can wreak havoc if you change the country of some bigger templates, e.g. SAM sites etc.

I've included a demo mission to show the issue. It contains a single group with an armor and aaa vehicle, belonging to russia. If you click onto one unit, and then change the country to Joint Red, you'll end up with either all armor (the Shilka being converted to some vehicle), or entirely AAA (the BTR-80 becoming a WWII Flak). As far as I can tell, it depends on the unit that you have clicked on to determine which subcategory is used for the entire group.

I would have expected the entire group to survive the conversion from Russia to Joint Red intact and unchanged. Am I overlooking something?

country conversion bug.miz

Edited by cfrag

• 8 months later...

This bug still exists in DCS 2.8.1.34667.2 Open Beta.

For example when I added all current Russian SAM templates and then switched them to CJTF RED, 31 out of 68 units were replaced with AAA 8,8cm Flak 18.

Also, when I had WWII Asset Pack installed, the replacement unit was "Ammo M30 Cargo Carrier" from the asset pack (see attached screenshots). And it replaced different units from the original group than what the AAA 8,8cm Flak 18 replaces. I disabled and re-enabled WWII Asset Pack, and couldn't replicate the difference. At the moment my DCS only replaces using the AAA 8,8cm Flak 18, even with WWII Asset Pack enabled again.

SA-11 template Russia.png

SA-11 template switch to CJTF RED with WWII Asset Pack installed.png

• 1 month later...

When changing a group of units from one coalition to another, all units in the group that are NOT already part of the category of the unit you selected get set to the category of the unit that you have selected.

For example, if you put down an SA-10 site template, select the tracking radar (category air defense) and change the coalition of the unit to CJTF Blue(CJTF has all units available) all units in the SA-10 site group that are not already of category air defense then proceed to get converted to category air defense. it will then proceed to pick the first unit of type air defense, which is an 8.8cm flak gun. Similarly, if you change the coalition when a GAZ truck(category unarmed) is selected and switch the coalition to CJTF Blue all units which are not already in category unarmed proceed to get converted to buses, the first unit in the unarmed category.

Video demonstrating the issue:

https://streamable.com/d8drrj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately no, this issue remains. Here's a screenshot of a mixed group of armor, aaa and infantry, belonging to Russia

image.png

I then click on COUNTRY, and choose 'CJTF Red', and all units revert to armor:

image.png

This is with most recent OB, with MT active.

I've also added a short video of what happens when I change the country. Watch as the units suddenly change type.