Think the F-15 Release is/will have an Impact

Czechnology

On 2/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, Dannyvandelft said:

The Phantom is loved by the Navy, Air Force, the Marines, and the Blue Angels AND the Thunderbirds used them for their demo teams.

Can the Eagle say that?

Nope!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And it means absolutely nothing in terms of module popularity - for starters Phantom was retired when many of DCS players werent born yet or are too young to remember anything about it, it has little popculture presence.

If Razbam makes it well the F15 will outsell the F4 easily, just like F18 and F16 outsells something like F14.

• Like 2

34 минуты назад, sparrow88 сказал:

And it means absolutely nothing in terms of module popularity - for starters Phantom was retired when many of DCS players werent born yet or are too young to remember anything about it, it has little popculture presence.

If Razbam makes it well the F15 will outsell the F4 easily, just like F18 and F16 outsells something like F14.

1a9.gif

By that same logic people should have even less interest in Spitfire, Thud and Mustang modules. May I ask since when that is the case? Ditto Hind, Huey and MiG-21.

• Like 2

Not to mention that Phantom wasn't retired in many countries when most DCS players were born in all parts of the world, and in a few it still is actively flying. And frankly, I'd say popular culture appearances of the two are either same-ish or even a bit in favor of F-4.

But this whole thread is an excersize in idle speculation. Strike Eagle and Phantom will both release when they will release... some of us will buy both, others will buy only one. I am personally A LOT more interested in Phantom, but will probably get F-15E too.

I don't see the point of us discussing whether release of one will have an impact on the dates for the other.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm not going to comment too much, but saying the F-4 has no culture value is without a doubt false. I do agree that the f-15 will probably out sell, but I honestly attribute that to the fact its modern and can sling AMRAAMs more than culture factor. Some people in DCS are genuine PvP server meta slaves.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

It does but only with the older generation. Young people will always want what they see at airshows and on TV.

This is not an accurate statement.

For one, the F-4E Phantom II is still in frontline service with Greece, South Korea, Turkey and Iran. Japan only recently retired their F-4EJ fleet two years ago. Rest assured the F-4E still resonates with people of all ages in those nations. Go watch the 1-300 YouTube channel and tell me with a straight face the F-4EJ doesn’t resonate with younger people. 

Further the QF-4E left USAF service in 2016. While retired from the frontline in the 90s, pilots and crews were doing air shows all the way up until the final QF-4Es met their end. The 82nd ATRS squadron commander was still hosting backseat rides for qualified pilots of other aircraft all the way up until retirement. So rest assured even in the modern “5th Generation” USAF the Phantom II remains a well known aircraft. 

For those still skeptical , go check out DieselThunder’s YouTube channel. Notice the average age of the people working on their F-4D. Hint- it’s not that high. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

It does but only with the older generation. Young people will always want what they see at airshows and on TV.

I'm 18 and work on a Phantom for Christmas sake, The amount of other young people I have seen that love the phantom is astounding. The Phanatic culture is most definitely still alive.

11 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

For those still skeptical , go check out DieselThunder’s YouTube channel. Notice the average age of the people working on their F-4D. Hint- it’s not that high. 

I'm a feature there 🙂

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

Do airshows only have modern aircraft where you live?  In my 23 years, I've seen A-37's, MiG-17's, and F-80/T-33's, just to name a few, and let's also not forget all the warbirds.  These airshows had modern aircraft of course, but that wasn't all they had. Seeing 3 MiG-17's doing a formation pass into the sunset with the burners lit was a sight to behold let me tell you.  The first model I ever built was a Revell Thunderbirds F-4E and personally I couldn't be happier to see the direction DCS is headed with all the Cold War module announcements.  F-4, F-8, F-100, A-1, A-6, and A-7 are all on my list as is the MiG-17 if Red Star Simulations ever gets to 3rd party status.  I think more people than you realize appreciate older airframes like the Phantom and it certainly isn't limited to just the older generation.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

20 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

By that same logic people should have even less interest in Spitfire, Thud and Mustang modules. May I ask since when that is the case? Ditto Hind, Huey and MiG-21.

None of these modules is even close in popularity to F18 and F16

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Are*

And neither of those are as popular as the Tomcat.

Apologies, English is not my mother tongue.

And yes - Tomcat is the reason I mentioned popculture presence - obviously both TopGun movies and stuff like JAG surely drives module popularity up. 

• Like 2

Apologies, English is not my mother tongue.
And yes - Tomcat is the reason I mentioned popculture presence - obviously both TopGun movies and stuff like JAG surely drives module popularity up. 
JAG was a good show, but Rabb landing a Tomcat from the backseat was cringeworthy to every Tomcat fan

• Like 1

I don't think F-4's sales would be hindered by F-15. They are targeting different playerbase. F-4 is for players who prefer more analogue way of flying a plane while F-15 is for ones who prefer computer assisted flying. Some people would buy both, some people would buy only one, but I don't think potential F-4 buyers would buy F-15 instead because F-15 came out earlier and vice versa.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:37 PM, Dannyvandelft said:

It depends on how many people are too impatient to wait for the Phantom and buy the Eagle and then don't want/have the money to spend on the Phantom.

I find it unlikely that an extra cash outlay of about $100.00 or less spread over a month or three, is going to be any kind of deterrent for most ppl on this forum. Keeping in mind, many here have spent $1000's on their rigs already. I think with that kind of outlay already in place, except for the much younger players maybe, it's just not enough cash to make any difference at all in terms of decision making. 

But what do I know... 🙂

• Like 2

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

Am 15.2.2023 um 12:53 schrieb sparrow88:

Hmmm interesting thesis... I'm 33 and i worked on some F-4's in active duty 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NotBonk said:

The tomcat does not require more skill to fly, it requires more skill to fly well. It’s nothing to scoff at.

I can confirm both of these things, even though I'm only capable of doing one of them. 😂

• Like 1

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

24 minutes ago, freehand said:

I find a comment like "it is nothing to scoff at" regarding a game to be hilarious to be honest.

Simulation, it’s DCS not DCG, if you don’t like it then you can go play pvp with an fc3 module. As it stands your level of maturity and tact when dealing with others in this forum is lackluster. I would suggest keeping in mind that others fly in this sim for reasons might not interest you, but for the rules of this forum you must respect them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NotBonk said:

Simulation, it’s DCS not DCG, if you don’t like it then you can go play pvp with an fc3 module. As it stands your level of maturity and tact when dealing with others in this forum is lackluster. I would suggest keeping in mind that others fly in this sim for reasons might not interest you, but for the rules of this forum you must respect them.

I have been here for 17 years I know what the game is lol.

• Like 1