Possible to swap out grips on Brunner base?

I have two grips for use on my Brunner FFB base. When I just had one, obviously no issue, but installing the second today, I had to power cycle the base and change the assigned grip in the profile in the brunner software. 

In DCS, I then noticed the controls column for the original stick / grip combo had dissappeared and a diiferently ttled one had taken its place, which was as you might expect, which I then had to re assign all the axis and button functions in ( Plus delete all the spurious entries DCS always assigns whenever you add a new controller.....why is this really annoying"feature" still present????) . This is leading me to suspect that simply swapping grip handles is not going to be all I have to do if I want have different grips for different jets. I dont want to have to re assign buttons & axis etc and grips in the brunner software each time. 

Is there a way to get around this and how DCS detects controllers? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Unless it messes with the Windows controller ID, when you put the original grip back on hopefully that column will reappear when you reconnect and the one just created will be hidden.  If it doesn't change the ID (i.e. when I forget to turn on the button on my USB hub for the controller) it doesn't show up in the bindings.  But it comes back when I restart with it turned on (out of paranoia I usually restart DCS rather than turning it on and rescanning).

OK, it does actually work OK, I needed to restart DCS and also change grips in the Brunner software, but the previous column with all my bindings re appeared. 

Happy days ! It wont be too much of an issue if I know which airframe I intend to fly and make the required preparations beforehand! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.