Cockpit ambient light glare: Latest OB

DUSTY

Is it just me or is the Mi8 cockpit glare inside windows hindering vision in most daylight conditions?

Anyone else experiencing this?

e6DuaG6.png

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

There is definitely something bugged about the light reflection on the inside of the Mi-8 windshield glass.

First two images show when the sun is behind the cockpit (backlit) the glass gets internal glare. When terrain obscures the direct sun light the glass glare doesn't change in comparison with the instrument panel lighting.

vgJhKtH.png

a3xOjos.png

These two pics were taken a few seconds apart.

Edited by |DUSTY|

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Other cockpit elements are reflecting the light oddly as well:

h5w8hBg.pngXYNsxmb.png

Edited by |DUSTY|

What time of day were these images taken?

Early morning, late evening or midday?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

First photo mid morning then the rest were afternoon and then dusk.

This occurs in almost all daylight settings but is most prominent when the sun is low on the horizon.

I think you're using my Black Cockpit mod.

Could you please try this with default cockpit?

Thanks.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I think you're using my Black Cockpit mod.

Could you please try this with default cockpit?

Thanks.

Good point, tried it with the default cockpit and experiencing the same issue.

Im seeing this too. Is as old as 2.5 is. In your case with shadows off, then any low angle sun behind you will cause these milky windows. With shadows on, its less visible, but can still happen.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Huh, i've got screenshots and old videos from just a bit earlier in the year (March/April) where I definitely didn't have this issue and I don't believe I changed my graphic settings since then.

OCfEqOD.png

• 2 years later...

I haven't flown the Hip for some time, and returning today I've noticed that the cockpit glass becomes next to opaque (perhaps 80%) when the sun shines on it (VR), as if the window panes are excessively dirty. Really dirty, preventing me to see through. This is highly disruptive, and makes flying at morning or evening time next to impossible since up to half of the cockpit windows can't be used (worse: even the downward facing windows), and if landing at the LZ requires a certain direction, it can become impossible. 

So,

• is this a known issue? 
  • can I mitigate it somehow? I've tried to disable global cockpit illumination but it did not help
  • Is this related to a similar issue I'm having with the F5E Tiger's cockpit "fogging" up when heading towards the sun?

Thank you for any pointers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

For better illustration, please see this screenshot (left eye)

null

image.jpeg

There is a bug where light is coming through the helicopter itself. You can see it in your screenshot, Sun is behind you, yet dash is lit by sunlight.

@cfrag On my rig, the same thing started happening a few patches ago while I was using custom roughmets fix posted here:

After removing the fix the problem was gone. Do you have any similar cockpit mods or edits installed?

Suggestion two: try out different windscreen options available in special options menu for the Hip, maybe some of them will work better.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thank you @admiki and @Art-J - I'm not using any mods at all. Just plain vanilla DCS. It would seem indeed that this is related in a way how sunlight is calculated, as the sun in those images is almost coming from right behind me (i.e. shining through the entire helicopter and rear walls causing the opacity effect. In some of my missions that's unfortunately a show-stop and I hope that a fix is in the works.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, cfrag said:

Thank you @admiki and @Art-J - I'm not using any mods at all. Just plain vanilla DCS. It would seem indeed that this is related in a way how sunlight is calculated, as the sun in those images is almost coming from right behind me (i.e. shining through the entire helicopter and rear walls causing the opacity effect. In some of my missions that's unfortunately a show-stop and I hope that a fix is in the works.

It's due to current DCS lighting problems with shadows off. Use this mod to fix it: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328443/

It's a universal mod so will affect all modules. Delete lines 87 and 88 as described. This also gets rid of the terrible looking baked in reflections in the huey, and will semi delete the dogtags hanging over the windows in the hip.

Edited by MoleUK

50 minutes ago, MoleUK said:

Use this mod to fix it:

Thank you! Huh, so we are now mucking with GLSL shader code - that's a blast from the past (although that particular dialect seems a bit off [EDIT: it's HLSL, not GLSL], guess I need to brush up my old, near-forgotten skills). It's been a while, but to me writing shaders was a weird mix of frustration and exhilaration 🙂 

Looks like I can also shave a couple of cycles for my VR if I change line 97 to "finalColor = 0.0;" -- only one way to find out.  

Let's hope that ED fixes this soon.

Edited by cfrag

21 hours ago, cfrag said:

Ha! Yes! Thank you, works like a charm.

Good to hear, from what I understand it fixes similar problems in other cockpits with shadows off. The hip is just a particularly egregious example of it.

Glad not to have to look at those very, very low res baked in reflections in the huey as well now.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, MoleUK said:

from what I understand it fixes similar problems in other cockpits with shadows off.

It definitely also resolves the Tiger's 'dirty glass' issue that made it next to unusable when flying at certain angles to the sun. And it's generally a relief (for me) to fly without all those other annoying cockpit reflections that do little to increase my flight experience but a lot to gunk up my view with effects (perhaps a drop in realism, definitely a rise in fun for me).

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:12 PM, cfrag said:

It definitely also resolves the Tiger's 'dirty glass' issue that made it next to unusable when flying at certain angles to the sun. And it's generally a relief (for me) to fly without all those other annoying cockpit reflections that do little to increase my flight experience but a lot to gunk up my view with effects (perhaps a drop in realism, definitely a rise in fun for me).

Just to give you a heads up, the glass mod now fails IC so you will start running into this problem again with shadows off for now.

• 2 months later...
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 5 months later...

I'm seeing this effect which seems intended to be a reflection from the interior of the glass.  It's putting a heavy brownish fog on the windows and blocking them completely at times.  This will disappear I believe when the sun is behind a cloud, then reappears.  I think this brown haze is at least part of the general haze problem from the past months.

Is this intended to work this way?  I can't think of any case where glass becomes opaque from being lit by the sun.

Screen_240101_091339.png

Screen_240101_092945.png