Excessive cockpit reflections - how to control?

cfrag
Go to solution Solved by MoleUK,

I (seem to suddenly) notice (in VR) a strong, ugly, coarse and arcadey (hand-drawn looking) static reflection of a hand holding a flight-stick in the right-hand seat (didn't try left hand seat, sorry). 

Is there a way to tone down these reflections or to have them removed entirely? They not only look bad, they obscure the view and I find them highly unnecessary. Also - are they new, or am I just not that observant that I notice them just now?

Thanks,

-ch

• Like 1

Do you use the File made by ams999 for the huey? Read his Post top of Page 1. I add it to all my Skin Downloads and tell people to install it to fix the Huey issues to see and use the skins as they should be seen this also includes this glass issue. Backup the original file first then replace with his. If you don't like his just put the original one back.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/199518-reportedso-the-ab-212lodsjson-huey-skins-too-shiny/#comment-4908598

Thank you @DishDoggie, I'm not using any mods at all. It's not entirely clear to me, so just to make sure: you are recommending that I should try the mod you kindly pointed to to try and eliminate the issue I'm seeing, correct?

I'll of course investigate, but I prefer to not patch DCS in any way to keep it as compatible as possible.

22 hours ago, cfrag said:

I (seem to suddenly) notice (in VR) a strong, ugly, coarse and arcadey (hand-drawn looking) static reflection of a hand holding a flight-stick in the right-hand seat (didn't try left hand seat, sorry). 

Is there a way to tone down these reflections or to have them removed entirely? They not only look bad, they obscure the view and I find them highly unnecessary. Also - are they new, or am I just not that observant that I notice them just now?

Thanks,

-ch

Reflection are ugly in VR, like stencils glued on glass...You can also try my mod to tune their visibility (up to no visible) :

This mod is not changing anything in DCS files, as it is at rendering level.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

55 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Thank you @DishDoggie, I'm not using any mods at all. It's not entirely clear to me, so just to make sure: you are recommending that I should try the mod you kindly pointed to to try and eliminate the issue I'm seeing, correct?

I'll of course investigate, but I prefer to not patch DCS in any way to keep it as compatible as possible.

I understand, so the answer to the question is Yes. BUT you would need to replace the file from DCS (Keeping the original in a safe place) If you feel it does not help the Huey then put the original file back. Every update ED makes will remove the Mod file and restore the original so I have to keep putting the modded file back into DCS after a update happens. Just keep in mind this has been reported to death and bumped up several time and just never gets addressed so My thoughts are you may just need to live with it or try the only fix around made by ams999 that is a true game changer for the Huey skin problem. Regardless I understand if you do not want to use it. Enjoy Sir Thank You. 

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
On 2/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, cfrag said:

Thanks,

-ch

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328443/

Delete lines 87 and 88 as described. All those reflections will be gone.

This is universal, so effects every module to some extent. Fixes the shadows off lighting issues in the mi-8 as well.

Doesn't break IC or pure textures, so no conflict with MP.

Edited by MoleUK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MoleUK said:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328443/

Delete lines 87 and 88 as described. All those reflections will be gone.

That is indeed a resolution, thank you so much, @MoleUKI also found that changing line 97 to "finalColor = 0.0;" gets rid of all the other stuff and saves some performance.

For those who wonder: the patch is that we slightly (and globally) change how DCS calculates how clear glass, as a material, looks inside the game. By changing this calculation we reduce (with the recommended patch, remove completely by changing finalColor to 0) the reflections in the rendering pass of the game engine. This new calculation will be used for all glass material in the game, and the change passes all integrity checks. As a bonus, it also removes the annoying 'dirty glass' bug in the F-5E tiger (the dirt reflections are also reduced/entirely suppressed)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cfrag said:

That is indeed a resolution, thank you so much, @MoleUKI also found that changing line 97 to "finalColor = 0.0;" gets rid of all the other stuff and saves some performance.

For those who wonder: the patch is that we slightly (and globally) change how DCS calculates how clear glass, as a material, looks inside the game. By changing this calculation we reduce (with the recommended patch, remove completely by changing finalColor to 0) the reflections in the rendering pass of the game engine. This new calculation will be used for all glass material in the game, and the change passes all integrity checks. As a bonus, it also removes the annoying 'dirty glass' bug in the F-5E tiger (the dirt reflections are also reduced/entirely suppressed)

interesting. so for those that may see this post and want to try, would the following line edit be correct?

finalColor = 0;

taking away all the rest of that line? or just editing out float4 leaving the rest?

finalColor = 0(ShadeTransparent(input.Position.xy, atm.sunColor, mp.diffuse.rgb, mp.diffuse.a, mp.normal, mp.aorms.y, mp.aorms.z, mp.emissive, shadow, cloudShadowAO, mp.toCamera, mp.pos, true, Flags & F_IN_COCKPIT), mp.diffuse.a);

thanks.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

34 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

would the following line edit be correct?

finalColor = 0;

taking away all the rest of that line? or just editing out float4 leaving the rest?

Apologies for being sloppy. No, rummaging around in shader code of course requires quite precise changes. 

I've changed the line as follows to preserve the previous editing to this:

finalColor = 0.0; //= float4(ShadeTransparent(input.Position.xy, atm.sunColor, mp.diffuse.rgb, mp.diffuse.a, mp.normal, mp.aorms.y, mp.aorms.z, mp.emissive, shadow, cloudShadowAO, mp.toCamera, mp.pos, true, Flags & F_IN_COCKPIT), mp.diffuse.a) *0.2;

and you can of course shorten that to 

finalColor = 0.0; 

The semicolon is essential. Also, to not cause undue stress to to the compiler, use '0.0' instead of '0'

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

Apologies for being sloppy. No, rummaging around in shader code of course requires quite precise changes. 

I've changed the line as follows to preserve the previous editing to this:

finalColor = 0.0; //= float4(ShadeTransparent(input.Position.xy, atm.sunColor, mp.diffuse.rgb, mp.diffuse.a, mp.normal, mp.aorms.y, mp.aorms.z, mp.emissive, shadow, cloudShadowAO, mp.toCamera, mp.pos, true, Flags & F_IN_COCKPIT), mp.diffuse.a) *0.2;

and you can of course shorten that to 

finalColor = 0.0; 

The semicolon is essential. Also, to not cause undue stress to to the compiler, use '0.0' instead of '0'

roger all that. i was worried more so for some folks not that versed in coding. thanks for being precise; for me and for others.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

4 hours ago, cfrag said:

Excellent, will give that extra tweak a try as well.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:44 PM, cfrag said:

If I'm not wrong, it also remove all glass reflexion for external view.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

26 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

it also remove all glass reflexion for external view

Indeed. It completely short-circuits the calculation, setting the reflection's color to 0 (that's the 'remove completely' part of my comment). The previous setting set it to 20% (by multiplying the calculated value by 0.2) of the original value, making it faint and more realistic, and I prefer better transparency 🙂 

It's just one more option for us to choose from.

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

Indeed. It completely short-circuits the calculation, setting the reflection's color to 0 (that's the 'remove completely' part of my comment). The previous setting set it to 20% (by multiplying the calculated value by 0.2) of the original value, making it faint and more realistic, and I prefer better transparency 🙂 

It's just one more option for us to choose from.

I had a deeper look, If you use a test with the variable flag and in_cockpit (something like that) you will be able to disable only for in cockpit view.

Edited by lefuneste01