WW2 Marianas, 2023 and beyond video question. Need airfield name!

Stratos

It's definitely Guam, it matches between the shots both on the near side of the island as well as the far side with the point Anderson AFB sits on today clearly visible in both shots.  The entire outline of the island also matches perfectly in both shots.  As to which airfield it is I have no clue. 

While the island is definitely Guam, I am surprised that Northwest Field is not visible in the 2023 AB video when we can see it clearly in it's modern state of disrepair in the current Marianas screenshot.

M1 2023.jpg

M2 2023.jpg

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

11 hours ago, Stratos said:

From the height of the Pic Saipan should be visible

Yes you are right, Saipan should be visible. Conclusion, its Guam. Any way i hope it is a montage in video for eye, to show much more spectacular view. Because airfield shown in video doesn't machup any  airstrip builded by japanese.

Edited by Spuks

17 hours ago, Cunctator said:

Northwest Field was built after the US reconquered Guam and only became operational in 1945. It shouldn't be there on a summer 1944 map.

You're right, it was.  My mistake.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

• 3 months later...

You wouldn't see Saipan from that direction at all. The angle of that screenshot in question is from west, looking to the east. Saipan is over 120 miles to the north-northeast. Guam's closest island neighbor is Rota, which is only about 40-ish miles away to the northeast, which also would not be visible looking the direction that the screenshot is taken.

That cove to the left of the foreground Corsair is Haputo Beach. That set of cliffs near the fleet is Puntan Dos Amantes (Two Lovers Point). That smaller point of land to the south (right hand side of the screenshot) is where the Hotel Nikko is located, and also marks the northern end of Tumon Bay.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg