Mission 9 part 2

1 hour ago, Sharkku said:
  Hide contents

How do I get 420 to help me in the dogfight with the MiG 29:s? He won't shoot. And he doesn't respond to wingman commands. Is he not supposed to interfere? Or is this a bug?

Hi

Spoiler

420 has been set a ground attack role, when as he has to bomb the airfield. You cannot in the editor set one aircraft with two roles i.e. ground attack and air attack. That said sometimes he will get involved but that is down to the unpredictable nature of DCS AI. I would work on the basis you are on your own, which is doable.

Hope this helps

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a really fun mission, I always love these low level ingress missions in topography! Voice Attack or throttle bindings are critical to staying on top of waypoint management while staying heads-up and spatially aware.

Spoiler

Not sure if it's intended, or just AI issues, but Dodge flight allows Mig 110 group to fly right under them and land at Bandar without ever breaking holding pattern or engaging. I stayed high and fast on egress until we were feet wet and it was clear from the SA page that Dodge was between us and the intercept. I wouldn't have felt so comfortable if I'd known that Dodge was taking a nap at Angels 28!

DCS World 2.8.2.35759 Beta.

Tacview-20230226-125558-DCS-ROPL2 M9 PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi

Edited by Pyrocumulous
grammar

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

12 hours ago, Pyrocumulous said:

This was a really fun mission, I always love these low level ingress missions in topography! Voice Attack or throttle bindings are critical to staying on top of waypoint management while staying heads-up and spatially aware.

Hide contents

Not sure if it's intended, or just AI issues, but Dodge flight allows Mig 110 group to fly right under them and land at Bandar without ever breaking holding pattern or engaging. I stayed high and fast on egress until we were feet wet and it was clear from the SA page that Dodge was between us and the intercept. I wouldn't have felt so comfortable if I'd known that Dodge was taking a nap at Angels 28!

DCS World 2.8.2.35759 Beta.

Tacview-20230226-125558-DCS-ROPL2 M9 PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 5.39 MB · 1 download

HI, just looked through your track. After bombing the air base and heading back you get radio warnings of the Migs on an intercept course  ( MIg110). You, not Dodge, are then given instructions to engage with them. The intention is that you divert to engage them as instructed. This why things in the mission didn't unfold fully as planned and why Dodge did not attack them.

It is really useful to see what you did. I will now introduce a fail  to prevent pilots from continuing without taking out the  pair of (migs110).

Thanks again for the heads up,  very useful . 👍

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

2 hours ago, L4key said:

I keep getting the one Mig, but the other takes me out as I only have one 120…

Just my poor A2A or any tips for getting into aim9 range for the second?

cheers

Hi

Get your 120 off but make sure it’s close enough to guarantee a hit. Suggest go for the right hand Mig. As soon as it’s away you should go defensive to the right. Concentrate on the left mig make sure you have your head mounted display up and with this you can fire your Aim9X, at almost 90 degrees to your heading a great advantage. Use your SA page and RWR on the heads up display to maintain where he is.

Edited by Badger633
  • Thanks 1

This was really fun mission, even if the JDAMs didn't hit (too low energy, my mistake) I was able to continue the mission by destroying the SA-10 with guns (that was fun too ;). 

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

2 hours ago, coldViPer said:

This was really fun mission, even if the JDAMs didn't hit (too low energy, my mistake) I was able to continue the mission by destroying the SA-10 with guns (that was fun too ;). 

Hi

Glad you enjoyed. After next update it shouldn’t be possible to take out the SA10 with guns, so you were lucky this time 🙂

• 2 months later...

Hi

Today I had a strange problem with that mission (part 2). My JDAMs didn't destroy the targets (coordinates 100% entered ok). I managed to do it with MK-83. Then I headed to waypoint 12 (attack on airbase). I destroyed parked aircrafts with gun. Then was the part with intercepting MIG's and the moment later the mission ended (failure) saying that I didn't fly low enough to avoid detection. But where? All the way to waypoint 9 it was ground level flight.

12 hours ago, konraf said:

Hi

Today I had a strange problem with that mission (part 2). My JDAMs didn't destroy the targets (coordinates 100% entered ok). I managed to do it with MK-83. Then I headed to waypoint 12 (attack on airbase). I destroyed parked aircrafts with gun. Then was the part with intercepting MIG's and the moment later the mission ended (failure) saying that I didn't fly low enough to avoid detection. But where? All the way to waypoint 9 it was ground level flight.

Hi

Are you running any mods?

Are you openbeta or stable versions?

Has this happened more than once or did you just try this once?

Do you have Tacview? If so a Tacview file of the flight would be helpful to identify where an issue may have occurred. 

The low level fail should only occur up until you start to rise to go over the mountain to release your JDAMs. 

This was a recent fly through. 

EDIT 280523: Checked out why you had a height failure. Did not anticipate someone would be taking out the planes in the airfield with gun. This impacted a key trigger.  Have now updated the mission which will be in next update so such an event will not occur in the future.

Edited by Badger633

Hi

Ok. Thank you. I’ll try to fly that mission once again and try to hit those SAM with JDAM. Last few tries I only managed to hit it but with 20/30% of damage. Coordinates ok. Maybe to low speed. I don’t know. 

41 minutes ago, konraf said:

Hi

Ok. Thank you. I’ll try to fly that mission once again and try to hit those SAM with JDAM. Last few tries I only managed to hit it but with 20/30% of damage. Coordinates ok. Maybe to low speed. I don’t know. 

Hi

Like I say if you have Tacview and send me a file I can advise. ( Would recommend everybody has Tacview, its free and a great analysis tool. Unfortunately DCS tracks do not work well.) Are you sure you have the coords down exactly?  Also make sure you do not drop too early you need to clear the mountain before you make the drop. 

Spoiler

I have actually built a tolerance of 120 feet around each target so you don't need to get an exact hit

I will also do a run through check my end.

Hope this helps

Finally success 🙂 I waited 2-3 more seconds (after passing the mountain) before JDAM drop.

Must say, that it was the hardest mission of that campaign (of course 4 more mission to go, so I don't know what is behind the corner 😉 ) but extreme fun to fly.

Thank you for support.

1 hour ago, konraf said:

Finally success 🙂 I waited 2-3 more seconds (after passing the mountain) before JDAM drop.

Must say, that it was the hardest mission of that campaign (of course 4 more mission to go, so I don't know what is behind the corner 😉 ) but extreme fun to fly.

Thank you for support.

Yes mission 9 is a bit of a handful. You can see why I split it into two parts.

Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy the rest of the campaign. 👍

I had failure upon failure upon failure bombing Grumble. I would pickle when I saw the “In Zone” cue but the bombs would fall short. I realized that maybe this was a bug when playing the MT preview on Steam. I restarted DCS but not using the MT preview and was able to bomb Grumble. Another thing that I did was adjust the Term Angle from 60 to 45 in the UFCTgt page on the mfd. I will try adjusting angle and play MT preview to to see if this was the issue. 

2 hours ago, Hispanicgamer said:

I had failure upon failure upon failure bombing Grumble. I would pickle when I saw the “In Zone” cue but the bombs would fall short. I realized that maybe this was a bug when playing the MT preview on Steam. I restarted DCS but not using the MT preview and was able to bomb Grumble. Another thing that I did was adjust the Term Angle from 60 to 45 in the UFCTgt page on the mfd. I will try adjusting angle and play MT preview to to see if this was the issue. 

Hi

Thanks for that heads up. Sounds like a DCS bug. As your aware the Campaign scripting does not control the bomb trajectories etc its a core DCS thing. Could you please report to ED on the forum for bugs. There is a MT section for reporting there for MT related issues.  The more reports they get the more likely they are to fix it. Thanks.

Glad you got it in the end though. 🙂👍

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

Hi

Thanks for that heads up. Sounds like a DCS bug. As your aware the Campaign scripting does not control the bomb trajectories etc its a core DCS thing. Could you please report to ED on the forum for bugs. There is a MT section for reporting there for MT related issues.  The more reports they get the more likely they are to fix it. Thanks.

Glad you got it in the end though. 🙂👍

Cheers.

Will do! Now if I can get my wingman to survive bombing Grumble!😁

1 hour ago, Hispanicgamer said:

Will do! Now if I can get my wingman to survive bombing Grumble!😁

Your wingman should not be dying. Is he?

17 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Your wingman should not be dying. Is he?

He is missing in action after I pickle at Grumble. I can see him as I dive down starboard to hide from Grumble. We talk back and forth but I never see him. I even looked for him using F2 function. If it happens again I will check what happened with TACView and confirm here. 

2 hours ago, Hispanicgamer said:

He is missing in action after I pickle at Grumble. I can see him as I dive down starboard to hide from Grumble. We talk back and forth but I never see him. I even looked for him using F2 function. If it happens again I will check what happened with TACView and confirm here. 

Great, thanks for that. A Tacview would be ideal. Are you running mods. does this happen in MT only I assume you are in openbeta.

I am away from my rig for a week but will look at it when I am back.

Also once again does this happen all the time? 

The more info I have the better to see what the issue is. Whether it’s something I can deal with via a work round or if it is a DCS core issue which needs reporting. 

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Hispanicgamer said:

I’ve been successful in bombing grumble about four times. And out of that four I only had him forming up on port and leading the bombing of the second base. I switched to “standard” DCS because I couldn’t bomb grumble in MT Preview. 

Please send Tacview. Any Mods? They can have a big effect on AIs

OK. It looks like it is a bug with the MT Preview on STEAM. Tacview track below for your perusal. I changed the TERM ANG from 60 to 45 and bombs still fall short. I was in zone and went a few seconds before pickling. Going to go back to plain DCS and try mission to see if I can get wingman issue captured. Will also report bug on MT bug page.

Tacview-20230531-163228-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi

Edited by Hispanicgamer