what tactics are the eurofighter suitable for?

Cunning_Raven

From what I know, the eurofighter is a high altitude interceptor, which means go as high as you can, get over mach 1.5 and shoot your missiles and go back.

But can it perform well in other "styles"? I particularly enjoy flying a flanker in the mountains or low altitude, fast interdictions or strikes. Can the eurofighter do those well? I was thinking the range of the iris-t might be helpful in the flanker style flying, but I don't know how the engines for example would perform down there.

Of course, the eurofighter should be used in it's intended way, but flying dangerously can be really fun sometimes.

Edited by Cunning_Raven

• Cunning_Raven changed the title to what tactics are the eurofighter suitable for?

According to the Italian air for e it’s about equal to the F-16 ADF under 10000 feet. So it should be very good low just not ultra extraordinary like it is at higher altitude. I’ve read against the F-18 and Su-30mki the Typhoon is vulnerable in the first pass and then they can’t touch it.

1 hour ago, Cunning_Raven said:

From what I know, the eurofighter is a high altitude interceptor, which means go as high as you can, get over mach 1.5 and shoot your missiles and go back.

But can it perform well in other "styles"? I particularly enjoy flying a flanker in the mountains or low altitude, fast interdictions or strikes. Can the eurofighter do those well? I was thinking the range of the iris-t might be helpful in the flanker style flying, but I don't know how the engines for example would perform down there.

Of course, the eurofighter should be used in it's intended way, but flying dangerously can be really fun sometimes.

Fuel will probably be an issue down low... it should have excellent SA though and good speed while being quite survivable with its DASS.

image.png My beloved ❤️

34 minutes ago, F-2 said:

According to the Italian air for e it’s about equal to the F-16 ADF under 10000 feet.

Let me elaborate this a little more: below 10k ft, the Typhoon and the Viper are more or less equivalent in term of BFM/ACM performances, with a slight advantage of the Typhoon over the Viper. However, above 10k ft the Typhoon performances outmatch the Viper ones.

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

15 minutes ago, LordOrion said:

Let me elaborate this a little more: below 10k ft, the Typhoon and the Viper are more or less equivalent in term of BFM/ACM performances, with a slight advantage of the Typhoon over the Viper. However, above 10k ft the Typhoon performances outmatch the Viper ones.

Something like that. Most Rafale kills on Typhoons seem to have been at low altitude, the Typhoon seems very competent down low but not that different then other fourth gen, once they get higher the Typhoon is a beast and even the F-15C is out matched.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had the impression that below 10k, the F-16 is just one of the best performing aircraft (>400 knots)? If thats a secondary ability, then the Typhoon is a monster.

But then again, considering how non-stealth, modern and damn expensive that thing is, you would hope so.

Edited by Temetre

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, Temetre said:

I had the impression that below 10k, the F-16 is just one of the best performing aircraft (>400 knots)? If thats a secondary ability, then the Typhoon is a monster.

The Eurofighter seems capable but not superior in the low level dogfight regime.

An upgrade was propose (AMK) to increase the maneuverability, but to my knowledge, no nation has yet picked it up.

Here’s a video which may be of interest:

The video shows a Danish F-16AM dogfighting a Eurofighter. The commentary is done by an RDAF F-16AM fighter pilot, but he is not the one flying in any of the clips. He mentions that at low speeds, they still have a “really good chance” against the Eurofighters, take that as you will.

If you need any particular part of the video translated, just ask!

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb Naudiz:

The Eurofighter seems capable but not superior in the low level dogfight regime.

An upgrade was propose (AMK) to increase the maneuverability, but to my knowledge, no nation has yet picked it up.

Here’s a video which may be of interest:

The video shows a Danish F-16AM dogfighting a Eurofighter. The commentary is done by an RDAF F-16AM fighter pilot, but he is not the one flying in any of the clips. He mentions that at low speeds, they still have a “really good chance” against the Eurofighters, take that as you will.

If you need any particular part of the video translated, just ask!

Thx, thats a neat video. You rarely see that stuff. 

Tbf its hard to tell what a good chance means here. An advantage? Or just that both are competitive?

I find it interesting that hes talking about "low speeds", and that F-16 seems to perform pretty well at 200 knots. Wonder if thats a super light early F-16AM, or an upgraded one. Feels like in DCS, the F16C is pretty mediocre at that speed, and even struggles to compete with an F-15.

IIRC people in DCS found by testing recently, that our F-16C Block 50 actually gets outrated by an F18 to a tiny degree. And Mirage 2000 seems to outrate anything else. Interesting stuff. 

Edited by Temetre

5 hours ago, Temetre said:

Thx, thats a neat video. You rarely see that stuff. 

Tbf its hard to tell what a good chance means here. An advantage? Or just that both are competitive?

I find it interesting that hes talking about "low speeds", and that F-16 seems to perform pretty well at 200 knots. Wonder if thats a super light early F-16AM, or an upgraded one. Feels like in DCS, the F16C is pretty mediocre at that speed, and even struggles to compete with an F-15.

IIRC people in DCS found by testing recently, that our F-16C Block 50 actually gets outrated by an F18 to a tiny degree. And Mirage 2000 seems to outrate anything else. Interesting stuff. 

The Italian Air Force says they’re about the same under 10000 feet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

Did you guys not read this?: 

EF is going to beat the F-16C in BFM at any altitude.

im pretty sure that most us that are still here have read everything😅

its going to be a fun aircraft to fly

• Like 1

image.png My beloved ❤️

This might be the first DCS Module that I will buy for it's system modeling alone. I mean obviously in BFM it's going to pretty much dominate every other fighter in the game, I mean it's a fly by wire 4.5 gen plane that will be the most advanced thing we have in the game by a long shot. 

I expect it to fly and behave like every other FBW plane flies and behaves, i.e. you can yank it around like it's a video game. (And yeah, I get the irony of that) I'm more curious in it's integrated systems and whether they will make me want to pull my hair out, or whether they will truly make my job as a pilot of a weapon delivery system much easier. 

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.