Water/Methanol how long should it last?

motoadve

Just did a long dogfight against Spits, started as port attack instant mission, I climbed took distance and  tried head on, after many of those, then they chased me from the coast of England to France and inland and again try climbing and attacking them when I got distance.

All of this at full power and Water/Methanol, this lasted between 20 to 30 minutes.

How long did WM lasted on the 109K in real life? its a 100litres tank, correct? No limit to the motor to ran it for long periods of time?

3 minutes ago, razo+r said:

It was limited to 3x10 mins with cooling periods inbetween. After those 30 mins it was empty. 

So its not modelled correctly in DCS?

Or those were factory limits for the pilots manual to add  longevity to the engine maybe? In an emergency you could run it 30 minutes and the motor would not blow up but shorten its lifespan? (This could make sense)

Limited to 10min at a time does not mean that engine will blow up right away. It is very hard to determine how long engine can run with mw50 but i think it is safe to assume that engine will survive whole tank of mw50, if temps stay with in limits. Definitely it would have impact on service time of the engine. 

Much easier is when engine blows up faster in DCS then it was rated for in RL manuals, the task is easier you can show proof and ED can reconsider modeling approach. But when we are talking about high power endurance things get complicated. Engine could run 40min with mw50 and blows up and engine could withstand couple hours as well and providing proof for this is nearly Impossible.

Timie limitation is no near point when engine would fail, from simple reason, this would require ridiculous precision in engine production to have every single engine fail exactly after 15min or 30min or what ever time was determined by factory.  So games where engines fails right after time limits exceeded are just pile of garbage in that regard.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 3

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

14 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Limited to 10min at a time does not mean that engine will blow up right away. It is very hard to determine how long engine can run with mw50 but i think it is safe to assume that engine will survive whole tank of mw50, if temps stay with in limits. Definitely it would have impact on service time of the engine. 

Much easier is when engine blows up faster in DCS then it was rated for in RL manuals, the task is easier you can show proof and ED can reconsider modeling approach. Engine could run 40min with mw50 and blows up but engine could withstand couple hours as well and providing proof for this is nearly Impossible.

Yes makes sense, I think the motor could run a whole tank at full power and not blow up, maybe it shorten its life and shows engine wear prior to the manufacturer's TBO.

8 hours ago, grafspee said:

Much easier is when engine blows up faster in DCS then it was rated for in RL manuals, the task is easier you can show proof and ED can reconsider modeling approach. Engine could run 40min with mw50 and blows up but engine could withstand couple hours as well and providing proof for this is nearly Impossible.

Well said. in the end, engine temps are the limiting factor, there are many variables,  i.e. speed, alt, engine condition, and the hope to use the aircraft again. there is much less risk of engine damage at 20000 ft in a tail chase, as opposed to a dog fight at 1500 ft . 

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/11/2023 at 12:54 AM, Andy1966 said:

Well said. in the end, engine temps are the limiting factor, there are many variables,  i.e. speed, alt, engine condition, and the hope to use the aircraft again. there is much less risk of engine damage at 20000 ft in a tail chase, as opposed to a dog fight at 1500 ft . 

Why designers put coolant/cyl heads and oil temp gauges in cockpit? If time on WEP or on MW50 was primary issue  designers would put clock gauges in cockpit not temps gauges.

Primary things for pilot to keep on are temps, coolant / cyl heads temp and oil temp and carb temp are within limts.

Ofc you have to apply to power limits but this thing is obvious and very easy to apply.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor