begging for help - performance in multi screen

ruprecht

Hi ruprecht,

First: Nice Setup!:thumbup:

I'm afraid that you will get no better frame rates unless you turn off the windowed mode and get to full screen.

But Vista don't let you use the span mode - only dual head is possible (because of DRM) - you would only be able to use a single screen in the simulation under vista in fullscreen.

To get three (or more screens) with acceptable frames (I'm taking about 30+)working you would need to use Matrox's TH2GO or SoftTH+XP.

But you wouldn't be able to have the Abris/Shkval at a separate 4th screen - Its simply not possible with the present Hardware and engine of BS - AFAIK.

I tried similar things some time ago and didn't got it working at acceptable frame rates- now I'm stuck (from my point of view the best solution) with this set-up:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSS5bWSf4c&feature=channel_page

Sorry that I can't be much help but up to now there is no solution for your problem to get a Triplehead cockpit view while using the Abris/Shkval at a other monitor.

cross-check also this thread to see what's possible: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32307

PS:

@Jim

I'm felling a little honoured how you named me - but I would never call myself a guru nor that I see myself in this kind of position.... ;)

Edited by urze

urze,

thanks for your post. I wonder about what you've said here:

But you wouldn't be able to have the Abris/Shkval at a separate 4th screen - Its simply not possible with the present Hardware and engine of BS - AFAIK.

from what I understand, under XP you can run main view and ABRIS on 2 heads fullscreen right? And a TH2G appears as a single screen on a single head right? So with 3 screens off the TH2G (on one head) and the ABRIS screen on the second head, it should be possible so long as all have the same vertical res?

Sorry if I've misunderstood you, but I'm about to buy a TH2G and install XP_32, so I'm eager to get it right :)

:thumbup:

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

To make things clearer :

The engine of BS is only able to draw the game contend at one Monitor in fullscreen!

>>The monitor that appears as primary in you display options!<<

SoftTH and TH2Go help you only to spread the Images across more screens that windows (XP/Vista/Windos7) wouldn't bring together as one normally!

When you use not SoftTH or TH2GO you need vert./horiz. span (only possible in XP) to bring tow screens together - dualhead is useless in fullscreen mode!

Side note for all with screens of different native resolution:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=631416#post631416

Edited by urze

But in XP span mode, the sim sees only one screen yes? So you can span across both heads? This is what I mean:

th2gpit.gif

Then you zoom the centre view out really wide like the last pic in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=628924&postcount=1

And voila!

Edited by ruprecht

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Second time I've seen your setup. Second time I've had an e-gasm.

Wish I could build a pit, but I play games in the main living room - that way it keeps the missus happy cos I can talk(grunt) to her if she's in the talking mood. A second screen, HOTAS, and TrackIR are the only toys I can comfortably get away with.

Not sure if your gpu can handle all that, but hope it does. Would love to see your pit working, keep us updated.

But in XP span mode, the sim sees only one screen yes? So you can span across both heads? This is what I mean:

th2gpit.gif

Then you zoom the centre view out really wide like the last pic in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=628924&postcount=1

And voila!

Nice Visual!!!

But(Hope you understand how I write this:) ) ,

I'm really getting tiered to repeat this on-and on again:

XP is only able to span two screens showing the same resolution at one time!!!

So unless you can not persuade your far right monitor to run also 3840x768 you cant do this!

You need a second TH2G and 2 more monitors - like I'm doing it

(- and with using multiple GFX's much more:

untitled-14copy.jpgYup!- That's right now 13 single monitors/projectors at one system:music_whistling:)

Edited by urze

Fair enough - I don't remember seeing the "at the same resolution" part in any of your previous posts. I have seen "at the same vertical resolution" many times, and the above satisfies that.

Guess I won't know until I start experimenting, and that won't be until my TH2G arrives in a few days.

*edit* would setting the second head to 3840x768 and using a 5m VGA cable work? Would it downscale it to 1024x768?

*edit edit* oh poop, that would wreck the menus. Never mind.

Cheers

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Update - waiting on my new mobo http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=640&l4=0&model=2070&modelmenu=2 and a TH2G Digital both on order, then will rebuild with Win7_64 and see how I go for FPS. Should know by the weekend.

Streaming DCS sometimes:

The Windows 7 64 beta currently allows span mode and I spent some time experimenting with a similar set-up to ruprecht's diagram (TripleH2go @1280x1024 x 3 + TV) however I had to run in windowed mode and I could only get half the ABRIS image stretched across the 4th display (which was a TV). After a couple of hours fiddling I gave up. But it looked promising.

W7beta hasn't yet crippled the output, seemed to be a few more options available for tinkering. Performance increase in Win7/64b made it worthwhile anyway.

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats

Hey Flex old buddy :)

Thanks for the input, I feel better about dropping a grand on a mobo and TH2G now!

All we need now is that apache so we can recapture the old glory days eh?

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Performance increase in Win7/64b made it worthwhile anyway.

What sort of performance increase did you get?

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Hmmm I thought one of the new features of the 180+ series of Nvidia drivers was to add multimonitor SLI. Theres setup diagrams and such on the Nvidia website. SLI may not boost the FPS a lot but might help you to at least get 2 screens running without window mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hey Flex old buddy :)

Thanks for the input, I feel better about dropping a grand on a mobo and TH2G now!

All we need now is that apache so we can recapture the old glory days eh?

All new glory days Rup :) You'll find some more old folks if you drop by the SimHQ Teamspeak server at the weekend (late evening for you) and exchange technical notes on hardware, mission building and the bloody weather. Sometimes we even get some stick time :)

I see your set-up is built around one of those neatly designed Akers-Barnes cockpits (I built one of those myself).

What sort of performance increase did you get?

Approx 5% increase after stepping up shadow settings one notch. Get a lot of flicker in the GUI with current nVidia drivers (this doesn't happen in flight).

When I saw your diagram I realised that was what I was trying to do, I was thwarted I think by the resolutions I have "installed" into the tripple head, you can have 4. If it goes wrong or you select a mode it doesn't like the screen go blank and there's only so much crawling under the desk I'm willing to do.

Good luck with new kit.

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats

OK people - I seem to have sorted it (touch wood).

Since my original post, I've done the following:

- Got a new X48 motherboard

- Installed Win7_64

- Installed an Asus PCIe sound card

- removed the 8800 Ultra and now running off a single 9800 GTX+

- overclocked my Q6600 2.4GHz to 3.6GHz

- Bought and installed a TripleHead2Go digital

short story: I get solid 30FPS on instant action at 3x1280x768 plus a 1024x768 ABRIS/Shkval with most settings up high (water 0, heat blur off and all planar shadows the exceptions).

I am, as you might expect, ecstatic. I'm still a little reserved as I'm yet to hook up a few devices (keyboard encoders, ASI, etc for the pit) which could conceivably (though not likely) be the cause of my FPS woes, but the fat lady is warming up in the wings.

Youtube video to come soon...

Thank you so much everyone for all your help, I am in your debt. If you're ever in Brisbane, pop round to fly the pit :)

th2g.thumb.jpg.3ed4dd02c9606aa1cb9c0aa7eeeac94a.jpg

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes: