DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery competition

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery competition

mossie.jpg

Using the official template found here, we are holding a DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery contest. The top ten submissions will have their skins integrated into DCS world and their name will also be included in the official manual. 

Here are some of the requirements and details:

• The skin must be created using this template. 
  • The livery must be based on current or historic schemes from any Mosquito variant.
  • The livery must be associated with one of the countries currently present in DCS.

Here are instructions for saving textures with MIP levels using NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop.

After submitting your file to User Files, please post in the DCS: Mosquito FB VI Competition forum topic with a screenshot and link to your file from the ED user files.

The contest will run until the 24th March 2023. All ten winners will receive a free copy of DCS: Mosquito FB VI, or any other Eagle Dynamics module, that can be also given as a gift to any DCS account.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As someone who's watched the disaster that was the P-47 and Fw190A8 livery competitions, I BEG that people who make livery submissions think of how applicable their livery would really be for DCS.

Consider, the following:

1) WORKING BORT NUMBERS

The last two livery competitions, some skins that were accepted did not having working bort numbers.  This is a MUST for a livery, please don't submit your livery if it doesn't have working bort numbers.

2) CORRECT TIME PERIOD

We are working out of 1944, early to late.  Please do not submit liveries that are from a time period that we cannot represent in DCS with our maps and planeset, otherwise they cannot be historically used.

3) CORRECT CONTEXT

We only have Normandy/England to fly over.  Not the east front or Mediterranean.  Mosquitos were not used in an extensive capacity in the Pacific.  Sorry Aussies, but we don't have that map.  We cannot use liveries from fronts other than the ETO west front, because we do not have those fronts.

4) SQUADRONS AND GROUPS, NOT SPECIFIC PILOTS

Liveries based off of specific individuals in the past do not help DCS.  There were not 50 Mosquitos all with the same nose art and 'John Doe' written on the side ever in history.  Keep liveries to squadrons at the most specific, not pilots.

5) HISTORIC

They had to exist in history.  We do not need another Japanese what-if paint scheme, we cannot use those in DCS.

• Thanks 3

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
29 minutes ago, Magic Zach said:

As someone who's watched the disaster that was the P-47 and Fw190A8 livery competitions, I BEG that people who make livery submissions think of how applicable their livery would really be for DCS.

Consider, the following:

1) WORKING BORT NUMBERS

The last two livery competitions, some skins that were accepted did not having working bort numbers.  This is a MUST for a livery, please don't submit your livery if it doesn't have working bort numbers.

2) CORRECT TIME PERIOD

We are working out of 1944, early to late.  Please do not submit liveries that are from a time period that we cannot represent in DCS with our maps and planeset, otherwise they cannot be historically used.

3) CORRECT CONTEXT

We only have Normandy/England to fly over.  Not the east front or Mediterranean.  Mosquitos were not used in an extensive capacity in the Pacific.  Sorry Aussies, but we don't have that map.  We cannot use liveries from fronts other than the ETO west front, because we do not have those fronts.

Liveries based off of specific individuals in the past do not help DCS.  There were not 50 Mosquitos all with the same nose art and 'John Doe' written on the side ever in history.  Keep liveries to squadrons at the most specific, not pilots.

5) HISTORIC

They had to exist in history.  We do not need another Japanese what-if paint scheme, we cannot use those in DCS.

competition rules are in the first post.  

thank you

• Like 7

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here's my humble submission - 3 Historical Israeli air force liveries with authentic Hebrew stencils and decals

All of these could be used well in the upcoming Sinai map as these were used extensively in the 1956 suez crisis. 

First - 110th - "Knights of the North" Squadron - 1956 Operation Kadesh colors

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318518/

nullimage.jpegimage.jpeg

camo.jpg

5.jpg

Second -  IAF Mosquito - 109th - "The Valley Squadron" - Silver

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318517/

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.pngnull

Third - IAF Training yellow

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318519/

image.jpeg

3.jpg

1.PNG

Edited by ZedTank
Info added
  • Like 15

I would also like to raise the artist's attention to invasion stripes. 

During June 1944, Mosquitos involved in the Normandy campaign had full invasion stripes top and bottom, and during July and August they had invasion stripes on the lower half. 

For our server for example, the presence of invasion stripes is critical. 

Mosquito_D-Day.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Magic Zach said:

Consider, the following:

1) WORKING BORT NUMBERS

2) CORRECT TIME PERIOD

3) CORRECT CONTEXT

5) HISTORIC

Listen Zach...

c85b693c-89c3-4ff1-8e3a-c7ded327a829_tex

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

Although I usually admire Zach's hard work and feedback related to paintschemes, the narrow minded and arrogant approach in this case is surprising and puzzling for me. 

The last thing Mosquito deserves is limited bunch of all-the-same looking RAF mid-44 skins with an odd Coastal Command livery thrown in for a change. I don't have Channel map, I'm not THAT anal about historical context (though I admit it's something "nice to have"), because I use DCS primarily as a cheap MSFS alternative for recreational flying. I'm also not Aussie, far from it (figuratively and literally, living on the opposite side of the planet Earth ;)) but I really hope MateusOV will participate in the competition and update and submit his awesome silver RAAF and RAF SEAC skins (the primary ones I'm using while flying wherever I feel like flying). It would be shame not to have at least one of these available in stock collection.

How about Il-2GB approach: let's indeed have a couple of Channel/Normandy relevant skins for historic mission and campaign purposes, and then a collection of skins from whatever period / theater / user as long as they comply with ED's requirements.

• Like 7

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Those Israeli liveries look great, really eye-catching. Especially the yellow one, reminds me of the original prototype yellow scheme.

Some Canadian liveries would be cool to see given how many FB.26s (basically the Mk.VI but built in Canada at Downview) were made.

And of course some 2TAF schemes to represent the European war where the Mosquito distinguished itself, but part of the joy of aviation is learning about the wide and sometimes very obscure variety of places that aircraft ended up in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Art-J:

How about Il-2GB approach: let's indeed have a couple of Channel/Normandy relevant skins for historic mission and campaign purposes, and then a collection of skins from whatever period / theater / user as long as they comply with ED's requirements.

Yes that would be great. 👍 There will be 10 choosen liveries, so there is room for some fitting to the theatre and some from other places and times. 

Ideally there would be at least three historically fitting ones, with no invasion stripes, half invasion stripes, and full invasion stripes to cover the different periods in the ETO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Art-J said:

Although I usually admire Zach's hard work and feedback related to paintschemes, the narrow minded and arrogant approach in this case is surprising and puzzling for me. 

The last thing Mosquito deserves is limited bunch of all-the-same looking RAF mid-44 skins with an odd Coastal Command livery thrown in for a change. I don't have Channel map, I'm not THAT anal about historical context (though I admit it's something "nice to have"), because I use DCS primarily as a cheap MSFS alternative for recreational flying. I'm also not Aussie, far from it (figuratively and literally, living on the opposite side of the planet Earth ;)) but I really hope MateusOV will participate in the competition and update and submit his awesome silver RAAF and RAF SEAC skins (the primary ones I'm using while flying wherever I feel like flying). It would be shame not to have at least one of these available in stock collection.

We need to avoid what happened with the P-47 and the 190A8.  Those competitions produced liveries that were representative of individual pilots, which cannot be used in a mission with more than one of an aircraft type.  They also produced NO liveries that fit the context of what we have in DCS, and that is 1944 France.

7 hours ago, Megalax said:

Listen Zach...

c85b693c-89c3-4ff1-8e3a-c7ded327a829_tex

No, but it's for the betterment of DCS WW2

• Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

52 minutes ago, Magic Zach said:

We need to avoid what happened with the P-47 and the 190A8.  Those competitions produced liveries that were representative of individual pilots, which cannot be used in a mission with more than one of an aircraft type.  They also produced NO liveries that fit the context of what we have in DCS, and that is 1944 France.

1944 France seems... very, very restrictive. Even if we accept that the context of WWII units in DCS HAS to be on period appropriate maps (which I don't), what's the issue with 1939-1943 France, or England from the same timeframe?

Edited by static_actual

Just to annoy the purists I'll start with this one, but will put something a bit more left of centre up soon to keep the mission makers happy.

Edit: the orange hi viz on top of the wings will be changed to the correct yellow bars now updated.

RM's updated.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3327564/

image.jpeg

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 6

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

why not pick an aircraft that actually had some interesting liveries?. How many combinations of Grey-Green, Grey-Green-Black, Grey, Yellow and Light-blue-green-brown do you want?.

Wouldn't an aircraft like the B-17 be a better aircraft as it had a lot more imaginative paint schemes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TJTAS said:

why not pick an aircraft that actually had some interesting liveries?. How many combinations of Grey-Green, Grey-Green-Black, Grey, Yellow and Light-blue-green-brown do you want?.

Wouldn't an aircraft like the B-17 be a better aircraft as it had a lot more imaginative paint schemes.

I like where you're going. I guess the answer is ED want to be more inclusive by getting the user to show what they want. The users have a win because they get to showcase aircraft they want in the game and ED has a win as they get enthusiastic people to give them liveries for free. 

I do agree with your last point though which is what I'm slowly trying to do when I can. See link https://hbdcs.tumblr.com/

Edited by Helles Belle

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Helles Belle said:

I like where you're going. I guess the answer is ED want to be more inclusive by getting the user to show what they want. The users have a win because they get to showcase aircraft they want in the game and ED has a win as they get enthusiastic people to give them liveries for free. 

I do agree with your last point though which is what I'm slowly trying to do when I can. See link https://hbdcs.tumblr.com/

Especially since you've made the only interesting skin for the mossie.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Magic Zach said:

Consider, the following:

1) WORKING BORT NUMBERS

2) CORRECT TIME PERIOD

3) CORRECT CONTEXT

5) HISTORIC

I absolutely disagree about #2,3,4.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I think the tone of the conversation should rather be that in addition to specially beautiful, creative and fancy paint schemes, it would also be really nice to get some standard period- and theatre-fitting liveries. These may be less fun to make by the artist, but since we currently don't have a single livery in the default livery pack that fits the 2nd TAF during the summer 1944 Normandy campaign, it would be greatly appreciated to get some through this competition. 🙂

So in short, a large panoply of different skins is great, and summer 1944 2nd TAF schemes should be part of that ideally.

Edited by Night Owl

vor 4 Stunden schrieb TJTAS:

The Mossie is the module with the least skins in the existing default pack, only 3, I think choosing that module for the competition makes sense.

Edited by Night Owl
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Folks, please keep it friendly here. 

The rules for the competition are in the first post. 

We try to do a livery competition with our modules, its fun for the artists out there and we get to see some impressive work that can potentially be added to DCS.

We are looking for real liveries past and present from any mossie variant, if you want to focus on 1944 that is fine but please dont discourage other liveries. 

thank you and good luck. 

• Like 9