DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery competition

BIGNEWY

44 minutes ago, Night Owl said:

The Mossie is the module with the least skins in the existing default pack, only 3, I think choosing that module for the competition makes sense.

Fair enough but if you are talking about Combat Mossies then really the predominance will be RAF skins and the RAF are notoriously drab when it comes to colour schemes. The real striking combat aircraft tend to be the pre low-vis US aircraft.

• Like 1

French Indo China conflict.

A generic nose is included so they don’t all have to have shark teeth.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329248/

image.png

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

vor 6 Minuten schrieb TJTAS:

Fair enough but if you are talking about Combat Mossies then really the predominance will be RAF skins and the RAF are notoriously drab when it comes to colour schemes. The real striking combat aircraft tend to be the pre low-vis US aircraft.

Yeah the British were not the most creative with their paint schemes 😄

But even among such standard schemes there are possibilities to make liveries that look so much better than the default. Take invasion stripes for example, if those are hand painted in several layers, they will look so much more realistic and cool than what we have in the default. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:04 AM, Magic Zach said:

As someone who's watched the disaster that was the P-47 and Fw190A8 livery competitions, I BEG that people who make livery submissions think of how applicable their livery would really be for DCS.

Consider, the following:

1) WORKING BORT NUMBERS

The last two livery competitions, some skins that were accepted did not having working bort numbers.  This is a MUST for a livery, please don't submit your livery if it doesn't have working bort numbers.

2) CORRECT TIME PERIOD

We are working out of 1944, early to late.  Please do not submit liveries that are from a time period that we cannot represent in DCS with our maps and planeset, otherwise they cannot be historically used.

3) CORRECT CONTEXT

We only have Normandy/England to fly over.  Not the east front or Mediterranean.  Mosquitos were not used in an extensive capacity in the Pacific.  Sorry Aussies, but we don't have that map.  We cannot use liveries from fronts other than the ETO west front, because we do not have those fronts.

4) SQUADRONS AND GROUPS, NOT SPECIFIC PILOTS

Liveries based off of specific individuals in the past do not help DCS.  There were not 50 Mosquitos all with the same nose art and 'John Doe' written on the side ever in history.  Keep liveries to squadrons at the most specific, not pilots.

5) HISTORIC

They had to exist in history.  We do not need another Japanese what-if paint scheme, we cannot use those in DCS.

I disagree. I love seeing what people come up with for these things! Let the creative juices flow! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

10 hours ago, Night Owl said:

Is the competition restricted to photoshop users, did I understand this correctly?

2 hours ago, Night Owl said:

Is this competition limited to photoshop users?

No. They're just including instructions on how to correctly use a specific format that makes liveries look better at a distance for Photoshop users; you can create the exact same thing using GIMP, paint.net, and probably many other photo editing softwares with the right plugins.

• Like 1

While I agree with Zach I think some "not-historic" or "not normandy friendly" skins are welcome but the problem is due to the fact that the competition allows only 10 winners which means that the numbers of "official" skins will probably never exceed 15, quite a low number, even more if there are different nation skins

On 2/24/2023 at 10:47 AM, static_actual said:

I'm aware the WWII German aircraft have censored swastikas to comply with German law; does this also apply to kill markings on allied aircraft? Took a quick look through the mustang liveries and pretty much all of them have the iron cross if they have kill markings, so I figured I'd ask.

I haven't seen an answer to this. The skin that I'm contemplating does have swastikas as kill markings. I'm not going to make any effort though if they are disallowed and don't want to bastardize what was actually applied. I do understand the restrictions due to several countries laws. I just want clarification.

I'm also a bit concerned about Bort numbers and would prefer to make a skin true to the aircraft's particular ID numbers. So, is a one-off skin less likely to be selected?

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd

51 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm also a bit concerned about Bort numbers and would prefer to make a skin true to the aircraft's particular ID numbers. So, is a one-off skin less likely to be selected?

I wouldn’t know, but it’s possible to do a pack with specific and generic skins. I’m planning on doing a generic 605 Sqn, as well as NS838 (Wag’s War Wagon) and HJ808, for example (assuming kill markings are allowed).

RCAF 418 SQN. RAF ADGB (Air Defense of Great Britain), Holmsey South, Hampshire, early- mid 1944

Mosquito early FB VI Series I A/C, TH_U Tail No.HJ719 "Moonbeam McSwine" flown by Ace F/L James F "Lou" Luma (USAAF) and navigator F/O Colin Finlayson (RCAF)

Upper side painted in RAF standard grey-green late war camo and lower side in black specially for night operations

Screen_230225_234028.png

Screen_230225_234001.png

Screen_230226_181725.png

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329275/ 418 SQN THU "Moonbeam McSwine"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329276/ 418 SQN generic night ops skin with bort numbers

Edited by OLD CROW
  • Like 5

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

This is my Mosquito for the competition, I still need to work some details (screws!!), and then upload it to the user files.

RAF 45 Squadron based at Joari - India  null

Dynamic numbers, pre-set with the reference aircraft number in the arguments

Custom Fuel tanks, Prop Blades...

Taking into account that they have the same paint base, I will add two variants, from Squadron 45 (1945), an early one with white and blue roundels (they were painted like this to avoid confusion with the Japanese ones), a late one where the white was replaced by a light blue color, another variant is from Squadron 105 (1942) that has the roundel with yellow outline and fuselage serial numbers in red.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329439/

1.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.pngnullnull

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

Edited by -_Cuervo_-
Download Link
  • Like 3

I5 8600K  - MSI 3070 - 32Gb DDR4  - 1 TB NVME - 1TB SSD - :joystick: TM Warthog

FC3 - Mirage - Hawk (RIP) - F5E - L39 - F14B -A4E C- UH1H - AV8BNA - F16C - FA-18C - Ka50- Apache-A10CII - MB339

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 4 Stunden schrieb static_actual:

No. They're just including instructions on how to correctly use a specific format that makes liveries look better at a distance for Photoshop users; you can create the exact same thing using GIMP, paint.net, and probably many other photo editing softwares with the right plugins.

Thank you very much 👍 yes I use GIMP for my liveries, but I was just unsure because of the spevific mention of photoshopnin the instructions.

We got to have one all-black paint scheme. Nothing says “mobster” better than an all black ride with guns sticking out the front.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

PLAAF Mosquito (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Something a little different.
I made that a couple days ago, It is based on an PRC Mossie that was used in the Foundation Parade

20230223015635_1.jpg

20230223015628_1.jpg

20230223015615_1.jpg

Thank you, you made it! You are a hero. Few people know that Mosquito once served in the People's Liberation Army.

I also wish someone could make a Chinese Nationalist Air Force livery because both of them are very special in history.

null

image.png

Mosquito FB.VI Generic skin with full invasion stripes and variable bort numbers. You can edit the letters in the mission editor or the rearming window. Custom roughmets, accurate colors and markings. This should be useful on the Normandy map.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329266/

Screen_230226_135505.jpg

Screen_230226_135645.jpg

Mosquito FB.VI 487 Sqn RNZAF flown by Group Captain Percy Charles Picard EG-F, who was killed in action near Amiens during Operation Jericho, when a FW-190 hit his aircraft and the tail section broke off. Custom roughmets, accurate colors and markings.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329265/

220px-PC_Pickard.jpg

Screen_230226_132455.jpg

Screen_230226_132713.jpg

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4