Engine issues when using MW-50

oncomms

The engine get cooked after using MW-50. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. As far as I can see I think everything was fine. I'm adding two video. Both videos start with the plane on the ground. On the first one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O13tmPIuF2s&t=1080s at the very first time I started the MW-50 the engine get broken, while on the second one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYi8tz01jxs&t=895s while I kept the plane speed in range - I think - for some reason it got hotter and hotter till it broke.

I'm attaching also both tracks.

Thanks for any comments

WOLF_PACK_US_WWII_DYNAMIC_BASE_CAPTURE_v4.2.1-20230119-234852.trk WOLF_PACK_US_WWII_DYNAMIC_BASE_CAPTURE_v4.2.1-20230122-222616.trk

Dora gets very hot oil temps with MW-50 , I have been managing it by looking at temps to avoid overheating, seems to be if you run it for too long will overheat and seize, I run it hard for a bit then let it rest for a bit.

Now I am new to the Dora so don't know if this is realistic or not or how long is the recommended time limit to use MW-50 from the factory.

Maybe another more experienced Dora pilot can tell.

• Like 1

For me it doesn't look like engine is overheating, when you engaged mw50 and engine blows after couple seconds.

Look like another Dora engine bug.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 3/1/2023 at 4:00 AM, grafspee said:

For me it doesn't look like engine is overheating, when you engaged mw50 and engine blows after couple seconds.

Look like another Dora engine bug.

Yeah. I think the same. I'll post this on bugs and problems

Thank you

I'll take a look at it when I get home.   According to the news, there are always adjustments being made in this direction as far as the cooling of the WW2 machines is concerned.  Maybe it has something to do with that?

• Like 1

was doing some tests with Dora yesterday, and with MW50 failure it doesn't look like it's temperature related, or at least what I've observed. I ran MW50 and was using the manual control to keep the cowling flaps fully open, which resulted in temperatures dead set on 100 degrees, no more/no less. And it still failed after 5 minutes of operation.

I still use MW50 but now I limit it to ~1min of operation per instance.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:33 AM, peachmonkey said:

was doing some tests with Dora yesterday, and with MW50 failure it doesn't look like it's temperature related, or at least what I've observed. I ran MW50 and was using the manual control to keep the cowling flaps fully open, which resulted in temperatures dead set on 100 degrees, no more/no less. And it still failed after 5 minutes of operation.

I still use MW50 but now I limit it to ~1min of operation per instance.

I don't believe there is manual control of the flaps, only a thermostat where you can select the temp it tries to automatically regulate. Not that this sheds any additional light onto the issue, I only mention it to help clarify.

41 minutes ago, kablamoman said:

I don't believe there is manual control of the flaps, only a thermostat where you can select the temp it tries to automatically regulate. Not that this sheds any additional light onto the issue, I only mention it to help clarify.

there's a turning wheel under the main dashboard, if you turn it left or right you can see the cowl flaps open or close, I guess it's a manual over-ride of the automation system. Turning the wheel definitely affects the temperature, which in my case went down to 100 and the cowl flaps where fully opened.

From my experience, this knob works like automatic temp control override, you can open them to get lower temp but if you close them completely, cowl flaps will open when temp got high.

For me it looks like this cowl flaps knob works as offset setting for thermostat system. For comparison P-47 cowl flaps will stay fully closed no matter what, in case Fw190 D-9 those cowl flaps will open when temp hit critical level.

So i agree with @kablamoman, turning the knob affect set temp not the cowl flaps position.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

IIRC the manual says cowl flaps are automatic, you can control them manually by using the kinda hidden knob and it opens them further than auto, of course temps go lower despite in general there's no need for that and auto keeps it just fine, but if you want it back to auto once the knob is open the only thing you have to do is close the knob and it'll be auto again. I don't see anything unusual with regards to that behaviour compared to what you all are describing.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I'm re-reading your comments, guys, and I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here?

In Chuck's guide it's called "Kühlerklappen" and per google translate it means "radiator flaps". 

That's the 'wheel' under the dashboard that I'm talking about.

image.png

image.png

Edited by peachmonkey

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 11:09 AM, peachmonkey said:

I'm re-reading your comments, guys, and I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here?

In Chuck's guide it's called "Kühlerklappen" and per google translate it means "radiator flaps". 

That's the 'wheel' under the dashboard that I'm talking about.

image.png

image.png

That is the thermostat control. You're not manually setting the cowl position, you're selecting the temperature the system will try to automatically regulate.

There is really no good reason to mess with it unless you wanted it to purposefully regulate at a lower temperature, which would mean more drag and less performance, as they work fine at the default setting and the cowl flaps will actuate the same amount, it's just that they wait until temps get a bit higher before they do. It's been a while since I've flown the module, so I don't remember the specific range, but I think by default it will try to maintain 100 degrees (which you can run continuously), and if you turn the knob fully towards the cool position it'll try to regulate at 70.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oncomms said:

Was somebody else able to check the engine fail ?

yeah, you are literally beating the ever living <profanity> out of that engine.....

you slam in and out of high boost throttle positions like its afterburner in a 4th gen jet....bad for engine
you run the temps at redline or above redline constantly....bad for engine
you fly at low airspeeds with elevated temps and the throttle pinned....bad for engine
you allow little to no cooldown time at combat or max continuous between big stints in MW-50....bad for engine
when you are not in MW-50, you are at 3250 RPM and 1.7 ATA....(see above)

This isn't a mystery.
null

image.png

• Like 1

The engine setting 1,7ATA / 3250RPM (Sondernotleistung 1900PS) was not posible for the engine with the MW-50.

The engine with the MW had only "normal" Start u.Notleistung 1,5ATA / 3250 RPM (1770 PS) without the MW and 1,8ATA / 3250 RPM (Sondernotleistung 2100PS) with the MW.

• Thanks 2

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Zergburger:

you slam in and out of high boost throttle positions like its afterburner in a 4th gen jet....bad for engine
you run the temps at redline or above redline constantly....bad for engine
you fly at low airspeeds with elevated temps and the throttle pinned....bad for engine
you allow little to no cooldown time at combat or max continuous between big stints in MW-50....bad for engine
when you are not in MW-50, you are at 3250 RPM and 1.7 ATA....(see above)

This isn't a mystery.
null

yes his test are not very good, but even if you fly fast the cooling needle goes red after 3min MW50 and the engine  is dead after 10min, but according to the manual it should be possible to fly longer with these settings
on the other hand, nothing happens without MW50.

btw for which D9 engine should these values be, surely not ours

Edited by Hobel
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, saburo_cz said:

The engine setting 1,7ATA / 3250RPM (Sondernotleistung 1900PS) was not posible for the engine with the MW-50.

The engine with the MW had only "normal" Start u.Notleistung 1,5ATA / 3250 RPM (1770 PS) without the MW and 1,8ATA / 3250 RPM (Sondernotleistung 2100PS) with the MW.

pretty sure thats just going into the WEP area of the throttle without the MW-50 switched on, for the 1.7 ATA setting. But i am just speculating, i thought i had a copy of the Dora Teil 0 handy but only the ta-152.