Hi all

I am experiencing lags that makes DCS unplayable. I went through the forum however found no solution. 

I have pretty decent PC for DCS I9 12900K; RTX3080; 32GB DDR5; DCS installed on SSD

My FPS are stable locked on 80Hz. I tried it with VR and without VR. Every test run was the same resulting stable FPS but lag spikes. I don´t know how to describe these lags. I monitored harware usage via task manager and I found pretty obvious fact. Utilisation of GPU is dropping from like 80% to 40% avery few seconds and thats right when the lag in game occurs. (posting pictures from two sigleplayer test flights in F14 on caucaus) 

I would like to hear you experience playing DCS nowdays. To point out I had the same issue with 2.7 version.

Few steps I did:

All drivers are up to date (bios, gpu, cpu etc...) 

Tried every single settings in DCS 

Hot plugs disabled

running full screen with fullscreen optimalistaon turned off. 

Fxo metashaders didn´t help either. 

Even complete reinstall of DCS 

DCS  OPEN BETA running on Windows 11

Snímek obrazovky 2023-03-04 100114.png

Snímek obrazovky 2023-03-04 100850.png

Edited by filipto861
  • Like 1

Perhaps the antivirus is interfering, did you try to exclude from the antivirus reach both the DCS program folder and the /saved games/dcs/ folders?

I do it for my AV, ms defender:

image.jpeg

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Perhaps the antivirus is interfering, did you try to exclude from the antivirus reach both the DCS program folder and the /saved games/dcs/ folders?

I do it for my AV, ms defender:

image.jpeg

Hello, 

thanks for your reply. I did these steps however It didn´t help. 

Hi.

Check Windows power plan. Use default, and if it doesn't help, try maximum power: https://allthings.how/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-plan-in-windows-11/

Also, if your motherboard has an internal GPU, enforce use of your 3080 in Windows power plan for DCS.exe and in your NVIDIA control panel.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi.

Check Windows power plan. Use default, and if it doesn't help, try maximum power: https://allthings.how/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-plan-in-windows-11/

Also, if your motherboard has an internal GPU, enforce use of your 3080 in Windows power plan for DCS.exe and in your NVIDIA control panel.

Hi, I already went through this topic and did all suggested steps, however it didn´t help me. 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:16 AM, filipto861 said:

running full screen with fullscreen optimization turned off. 

I think it's better to leave that On.

Please attach your dcs.log (from Saved Games/DCS.../Logs) and your Export.lua (from Saved Games/DCS.../Scripts).

21 hours ago, Flappie said:

I think it's better to leave that On.

Please attach your dcs.log (from Saved Games/DCS.../Logs) and your Export.lua (from Saved Games/DCS.../Scripts).

For sure I can

Quick fact: Today I was playing Assetto Corsa Competizione in virtual reality. I was experiencing pretty similiar lags to DCS but not so frequently. However this might be due to players connecting to the server. I am just sharing experience from another game. Despite these two I also play Xplane, MSFS and warthunder. I´ve never had issues with them. 

dcs.log.old Export.lua

8 minutes ago, filipto861 said:

For sure I can

Quick fact: Today I was playing Assetto Corsa Competizione in virtual reality. I was experiencing pretty similiar lags to DCS but not so frequently. However this might be due to players connecting to the server. I am just sharing experience from another game. Despite these two I also play Xplane, MSFS and warthunder. I´ve never had issues with them. 

dcs.log.old 61.57 kB · 0 downloads Export.lua 38.31 kB · 0 downloads

just to assist Flappie. you have an incorrect setting in AUTOEXEC.CFG. maybe post that file too.

2023-03-04 09:06:19.005 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): load error Config/main.cfg:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config/autoexec.cfg"]:1: unexpected symbol near '"no_device_hotplug = true"'.

also you may want to set a permanent pagefile. 32,768 in both boxes.

Page File
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/196924-page-file-tip-by-mustang/

another line indicates a problem with video drivers

2023-03-04 09:08:56.418 ERROR   DX11BACKEND (Main): Failed assert `DX11VertexBuffer::buffersCount() == 0` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11Renderer.cpp:122

start by updating them and if not successful, fully uninstall and reinstall latest. some people note gforce experience being an issue too.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks @filipto861.

1/ Your Export.lua doesn't contain much, but it has this:

dofile(lfs.writedir() .. "Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua")

Are you still using this Volanta script? According to some, it's obsolete (https://forum.dcs.world/topic/262184-orbx-volanta-flight-tracking-quick-fix-for-losing-tacview-data/?do=findComment&comment=4874768). If you're not using it, simply rename your Export.lua to "Export.lua.bak" so the game does not load it.

According to you log, this Volanta script doesn't seem to work much:

2023-03-04 09:07:13.215 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: attempt to index upvalue 'v_Connection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: in function 'v_SendMessage'
	[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:89: in function <[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:33>.
2023-03-04 09:07:13.232 WARNING LOG (22204): 1 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2023-03-04 09:07:13.232 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): invalid source_params(F14_PILOT_COCKPIT:aircrafts/f-14/touchdown): gain
2023-03-04 09:07:13.242 WARNING LOG (22204): 2 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2023-03-04 09:07:13.242 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: attempt to index upvalue 'v_Connection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: in function 'v_SendMessage'
	[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:89: in function <[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:33>.
2023-03-04 09:07:14.708 WARNING LOG (22204): 116 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2023-03-04 09:07:14.708 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): invalid source_params(F14_PILOT_COCKPIT:aircrafts/engines/f110engineint01): gain
2023-03-04 09:07:14.708 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): invalid source_params(F14_PILOT_COCKPIT:aircrafts/engines/f110engineint02): gain
2023-03-04 09:07:14.716 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: attempt to index upvalue 'v_Connection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
2023-03-04 09:07:23.015 WARNING LOG (22204): 664 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2023-03-04 09:07:23.015 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): invalid source_params(F14_PILOT_COCKPIT:aircrafts/f-14/groundroll): gain
2023-03-04 09:07:23.025 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: attempt to index upvalue 'v_Connection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
2023-03-04 09:08:44.114 WARNING LOG (22204): 6144 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2023-03-04 09:08:44.114 INFO    LUA (Main): Lua CPU usage: metric: average mission execution: 1.1520 %
2023-03-04 09:08:53.732 INFO    Dispatcher (Main): Stop
2023-03-04 09:08:53.876 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportStop:[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:117: attempt to index upvalue 'v_Connection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:97: in function <[string "C:\Users\filip\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts/DCS_Volanta.lua"]:96>.

2/ I second @silverdevil: the line you added in your autoexec.cfg script to disable device hotplug seems to contain an unwanted character. Attach it here so we can take a look.

3/ Now, you say you're experciencing lags in Assetto Corsa. I never had any with it, so maybe it's an external software that's causing the mess. Please disable the following software/component if you have them installed/enabled on your PC, then see it lag goes away:

• MSI Afterburner
  • Asus GPU Tweak
  • Razer Synapse
  • OBS
  • NVIDIA Share
  • Windows Game Bar DVR
  • Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduler
  • Corsair iCue
  • Malwarebytes

Edited by Flappie

1 hour ago, filipto861 said:

Hi, so I did all steps you suggested. 

Firstly uninstallation of geforce experience seemed to help however after a few minutes it started to lag again. I did full driver reinstall via DDU

Here is my log dcs.log

i do not see a whole lot different with the latest log. can you share your autoexec.cfg file?

PS nevermind. the log no longer references the error.

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

13 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

i do not see a whole lot different with the latest log. can you share your autoexec.cfg file?

PS nevermind. the log no longer references the error.

autoexec.cfg was deleted as hot plugs can be disabled in the menu 

I am experiencing lags that makes DCS unplayable.

Same here, on Enigma PvP server I get lots of lag regularly. ED please finally run a cooperative PvP mass-test again to improve these things. It's been 4 years already. Thanks.

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 1 month later...

Do you mind sharing numbers of your 1% and .1% lows or a screenshot of your performance within DCS (Right CTRL + Pause)? The 'lag spikes' you show in the OP don't look like anything out of the ordinary.

CPU: 5950x || Memory: 64GB || GPU: RTX 4090

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I am experiencing lags that makes DCS unplayable. I went through the forum however found no solution. 

I have pretty decent PC for DCS I9 12900K; RTX3080; 32GB DDR5; DCS installed on SSD

My FPS are stable locked on 80Hz. I tried it with VR and without VR. Every test run was the same resulting stable FPS but lag spikes. I don´t know how to describe these lags. I monitored harware usage via task manager and I found pretty obvious fact. Utilisation of GPU is dropping from like 80% to 40% avery few seconds and thats right when the lag in game occurs. (posting pictures from two sigleplayer test flights in F14 on caucaus) 

I would like to hear you experience playing DCS nowdays. To point out I had the same issue with 2.7 version.

Few steps I did:

All drivers are up to date (bios, gpu, cpu etc...) 

Tried every single settings in DCS 

Hot plugs disabled

running full screen with fullscreen optimalistaon turned off. 

Fxo metashaders didn´t help either. 

Even complete reinstall of DCS 

DCS  OPEN BETA running on Windows 11

Snímek obrazovky 2023-03-04 100114.png

Snímek obrazovky 2023-03-04 100850.png

Look at your VRAM usage, you might be using more than 10GB and so giving you a bottleneck 

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

• 5 months later...

I all so am having this problem and I just spent 6000 dollars on a new computer 

Cpu Intel core 17/13700kf

Gpu 4090 rtx tuf gaming oc 24gb

Ram 64gb ddr4

SSD 2tb

Tomahawk Msi mag z790

1000w power supply 

Windows 10 pro 

Can someone please help me dcs is unplayable sometimes 

Edited by =HH=MADMAX

51 minutes ago, =HH=MADMAX said:

I all so am having this problem and I just spent 6000 dollars on a new computer 

Cpu Intel core 17/13700kf

Gpu 4090 rtx tuf gaming oc 24gb

Ram 64gb ddr4

SSD 2tb

Tomahawk Msi mag z790

1000w power supply 

Windows 10 pro 

Can someone please help me dcs is unplayable sometimes 

Most likely it's the DDR4 RAM your trying to jam in the DDR5 slot that's affecting the performance........

5 hours ago, =HH=MADMAX said:

This is the motherboard I have MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 INTEL LGA1700 DDR4 ATX .now I don't know much about computers but I would say that motherboard supports DDR4 am I wrong 

unless there is another model with a similar name, this mobo is DDR4.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z790-TOMAHAWK-WIFI-DDR4

by the way. this post is old. you should start a new thread to get help if you need.

• Like 1