Freeflight Huey

Forceken

Is it possible to freefly the Huey? I've been experimenting with the weight and wind but haven't been very successful.

Maybe tether the Huey with a heavy slingload and fly like a kite with heavy wind and no power?

Anyone ever attempted this before? Maybe better luck in Gazelle?

On 3/18/2023 at 12:04 AM, admiki said:

OK, but what is the point of this? Why don't you just make a mission with Huey in the air and kill the engine?

I train students to autorotate with DCS but they have trouble keeping the RRPM in the green so I thought this could be a cool exercise in RRPM control without having to restart the mission or retake off every time they do a full down

Edited by Forceken

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are describing an autorotation. If instead you intended something like soaring (a la sailplane)... IDK if that would be possible at all.

This sounds like a stimulating exercise... let's see what I can come up with... 

So, disregarding and real-world implications such as non-perfect speeds, wind direction variance, friction, turbulence, coanda effects, laminar flow, tanslational lift...

In theory, having enough wind coming from below and on the nose (front) of the helicopter... this might be possible. Say you need at least a 2000 fpm wind vertical component to counter the sinking. 2000 fpm should equal to 19-20 knots? 

Assume 60 knots forward speed as the ideal speed for an autorotation, solving this with  pythagorean theorem where the two sides are the two components (vertical and horizontal, dimensioned in knots or nm/h) of the speed, would give an ipotenuse of about 63.2 (miles). 

So you would need a windspeed of 64 knots, coming right from the front and at a angle of about 19° from the horizontal plane (the ground) or 72° from the vertical (connecting the helicopter CoG to the ground). [see picture]

This would keep you hovering, I guess. I have no idea what would happen if you wanted to move forward... My guess is the two components would need to be longer but then IDK how that would work, because if you "elongate" the horizontal component you would need to do the same for the vertical one otherwise you'd start sinking? 

I have no idea how solid this reasoning is... I would be nice to have it roasted from somebody that actually understands physics and mathematics, something I am completely unaware of. 

image.png

Also, take note that the dynamics of autorotation seem to have been changed in the internal patches and will probably be pushed shortly... so managing the RRPM might become easier / more adherent to real life in the near future. 

See this newsletter: Check out the new liveries coming to the Mosquito FB VI (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

[...] we are now accurately modelling auto-rotation situation readings on the tachometer. [...]

Edited by SPAS79

Why do you need to restart the mission, though, couldn't they just reslot and start back up in the air again, immediately?

• Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

• 3 weeks later...

I mean the primary reason is curiosity. Autorotating from high up works too. It would just be more fun closer to the ground, and more difficult. Really boring autorotating with nothing to look at for multiple minutes. Imagine soaring in the video below. Makes you wonder what a purpose built helicopter glider would look like. You would just blow thermals to bits haha

Edited by Forceken

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 11:57 PM, randomTOTEN said:

Boring for you, but wouldn't this just distract your students?

I don't watch lul, I got choppers to fly.

I give them a 30 minute tutorial and show them ~20 missions I made for them to pick from, one of which is autorotating from super high up. 

I don't have time to creepily sit behind their shoulder all day.

Look, I just want to add something different and challenging to my list for the more experienced sim pilots.

If this is such a "distraction" call the FAA and file a complaint. I'm sure they'll LOVE to get back to you.