Hyper Threading should be off for DCS & MT(multithreading)

Hi,

Do you have idea why HT should be OFF (32+ threads)? What negative symptoms would be for 32+ threads? :huh:

Should I enable HT / SMT in my motherboard BIOS?
Currently, users with 32 threads or more should disable HT/SMT, but for everyone else we recommend enabling HT/SMT.

I never did it on my spec, where is it disabled in BIOS?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It seems that there's currently an issue in which DCS won't start at all if there are more than 32 threads. That's the sort of thing you get with a rough implementation of multithreading logic. No doubt they'll need to fix it before the MT branch becomes the default.

• Like 1

Ok, known issues:

Known Issues

• Multithreading:
    • DCS won’t start on a PC with CPU with more than 32 CPU threads.

So maybe if it will be OFF, DCS will start?

1 minute ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It seems that there's currently an issue in which DCS won't start at all if there are more than 32 threads. That's the sort of thing you get with a rough implementation of multithreading logic. No doubt they'll need to fix it before the MT branch becomes the default.

Yes, I saw it too. I have i9 13900KF so I'll check firstly with my HT=on. We'll see.

Some people I know have just replaced their processors with i9 13xxx for DCS only and here's a surprise :punk:!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

21 minutes ago, YoYo said:

i9 13900KF

You only have hyper threading on your P-Cores so you  have exactly 32 threads (logical processors) 

8 P-Cores, 16 E-Cores = 24 Cores  Add 8 threads to your 8 P-Cores for HyperThreading  = 32

I am running on a 13900KF with no issues so far with hyperthreading on. Getting some amazing FPS on the few instant action flights I have taken

Edited by AdrianL
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Hi,

Do you have idea why HT should be OFF (32+ threads)? What negative symptoms would be for 32+ threads? :huh:

I never did it on my spec, where is it disabled in BIOS?

DCS Will Crash if it's more than 32-Threads (ie ThreadRipper).

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

21 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

You only have hyper threading on your P-Cores so you  have exactly 32 threads (logical processors) 

8 P-Cores, 16 E-Cores = 24 Cores  Add 8 threads to your 8 P-Cores for HyperThreading  = 32

I am running on a 13900KF with no issues so far with hyperthreading on. Getting some amazing FPS on the few instant action flights I have taken

Ah! Right! It was MORE than 32, not 32. Good info.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

The FAQ was changed at some point in the last few hours - it now says "Currently, users with more than 32 threads should disable HT/SMT, but for everyone else we recommend enabling HT/SMT." It would probably be wise for YoYo to note this in the first post.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

The FAQ was changed at some point in the last few hours - it now says "Currently, users with more than 32 threads should disable HT/SMT, but for everyone else we recommend enabling HT/SMT." It would probably be wise for YoYo to note this in the first post.

Exactly, looks like they did mistake!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am wondering if they did some tests. Often times, there is little difference between hyper threading on or off, since the number of physical cores is the same. The added overhead to split work may even lead to a slight decrease in performance.

Has anyone tested this for the MT version?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Does this mean threads of GPU or CPU? In which conditions i would like to want to use mt-dcs.exe (c:\\dcsmainfolder\mt-bin\mt-dcs.exe. What is the concrete difference, while i dont have a clue which one I want or even shoudl use. 😄 Nor what it does / should not do. It starts though, I have pretty old computer (intel i54960k, gtx 960 4gb, 20gb ddr3, ssd (SATA). I have seen text multithreading for years in boxes of pc stuff, but havent really ever desided to look what it means? Sound cool and fast though. So could somebody tell me something about this. What is it, how is it used, why is it used, and who can use it and how one knows it. And even then, what is the difference between mt-dcs.exe and dcs.exe? which one should I start, or does it do it automatically. MT-dcs.exe  does, as mentioned, start in my computer, but did not notice any difference, though dont know even where to look... ;D Thought this might be good to ask before I cry later.. 

I can not be sure, but it looks like at some point things changed for me: now it work better for me with hyperthreading on.

When I posted previous message in March I did switch it on to check. Back then the FPS was very irregular and jerky with ON setting. Now it looks opposite. I think either ED did some changes and tweaks or NVIDIA/Microsoft did roll out some update that fixed it for me.

I would recommend everyone to check what is the current state and decide based on that if they enable or disable hyperthreading.

20 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

Does this mean threads of GPU or CPU? In which conditions i would like to want to use mt-dcs.exe (c:\\dcsmainfolder\mt-bin\mt-dcs.exe. What is the concrete difference, while i dont have a clue which one I want or even shoudl use. 😄 Nor what it does / should not do. It starts though, I have pretty old computer (intel i54960k, gtx 960 4gb, 20gb ddr3, ssd (SATA). I have seen text multithreading for years in boxes of pc stuff, but havent really ever desided to look what it means? Sound cool and fast though. So could somebody tell me something about this. What is it, how is it used, why is it used, and who can use it and how one knows it. And even then, what is the difference between mt-dcs.exe and dcs.exe? which one should I start, or does it do it automatically. MT-dcs.exe  does, as mentioned, start in my computer, but did not notice any difference, though dont know even where to look... ;D Thought this might be good to ask before I cry later.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Which (ST ot MT) is better suited for your hardware, I can’t really tell. Just try and use them one after the other. ST will be gone in the foreseeable future probably, when the birth pain of MT is ironed out.

You run the ST (classic) DCS-executable from the /bin subfolder and the MT from the /MT-bin (or /bin-MT). Just make two shortcuts and use either one as you please.

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Which (ST ot MT) is better suited for your hardware, I can’t really tell. Just try and use them one after the other. ST will be gone in the foreseeable future probably, when the birth pain of MT is ironed out.

You run the ST (classic) DCS-executable from the /bin subfolder and the MT from the /MT-bin (or /bin-MT). Just make two shortcuts and use either one as you please.

Atleast MT-DCS seem to use cpu much more, where it has been confusingly low before. I can also verify huge change in cpu temp. Now the fans are on level that they are in many other games, which i think is good sign in this case? (not sure..) OR ofc that doesnt tell <profanity> just like that, but AT LEAST cpu is doing something much more 🙂 My old i5 4960K 6mb OC unlocked crazy old workhorse likes to calculate stuff! 🙂 No seriously, there really seems to be noticable difference, at least when looking with windows tools, how it uses cpu vs non mt-version. Dunno if thats ment to. It has not crashed eather, as normal version of 2.9 did few times yesterday when playing campaign. Dunno if it has been just luck, time will show. Seems that mt version runs better for now in my computer. Nice. I really dont know anything about this stuff, though know "something" about pc´s as worked in pc industry, BUT it was in 90´s ;D No Multi anything back then. Multimedia maximus.

1 hour ago, Wiggo said:

Atleast MT-DCS seem to use cpu much more, where it has been confusingly low before. I can also verify huge change in cpu temp. Now the fans are on level that they are in many other games, which i think is good sign in this case? (not sure..) OR ofc that doesnt tell <profanity> just like that, but AT LEAST cpu is doing something much more 🙂 My old i5 4960K 6mb OC unlocked crazy old workhorse likes to calculate stuff! 🙂 No seriously, there really seems to be noticable difference, at least when looking with windows tools, how it uses cpu vs non mt-version. Dunno if thats ment to. It has not crashed eather, as normal version of 2.9 did few times yesterday when playing campaign. Dunno if it has been just luck, time will show. Seems that mt version runs better for now in my computer. Nice. I really dont know anything about this stuff, though know "something" about pc´s as worked in pc industry, BUT it was in 90´s ;D No Multi anything back then. Multimedia maximus.

Apart from changes due to temperature headroom, two cores will use roughly double the energy of one, so more heat does in this case really mean more stuff is computed in the same time.

ST is a dying horse anyway, so I assume that especially the new candy is mainly (or only) optimized for the Multithread environment.

Good when it gives a new breath of life to a rather senior system….😁

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

15 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Apart from changes due to temperature headroom, two cores will use roughly double the energy of one, so more heat does in this case really mean more stuff is computed in the same time.

ST is a dying horse anyway, so I assume that especially the new candy is mainly (or only) optimized for the Multithread environment.

Good when it gives a new breath of life to a rather senior system….😁

WOOOW! I changed visibility extreme->high and clouds form ultra->high, as before i had like +/- 2-3fps with those. Now syria map, msaa 4x, sharpened 0,6 no dlss anything 44 fps on the ground. Thats +1/3 (~+30%) fps for me 😮 Those correlate now (at least for me) way much more what comes to fps. Ofc cant see so far, but this fps lvl was pretty much with "no filters + in the flight high, no other planes around" - stuff before, with my computer. Clearly something has also done right in the patch, was it MT or not. (did not try yet does those settings corralete as much with ST , in 2.9. Ofc it can be also the patch only, but i totally will keep running it like this and now i PLAY 😄 Have  thumbled with settings since yesterday, more or less. Restless soul and so on..  ;D

Edited by Wiggo