Multithreading very poor performance - fixed with slow repair

egon83

6 minutes ago, egon83 said:

Sound error is when windows switches from pc speakers to VR...

All drivers up to date.

No shader mods.

Will delete those folders and check back in

Deleting those folders didn't help... still the same.

FYI Red and yellow CPU bound notification flashing rapidly.

Winwing F16ex HOTAS / MFG Crosswinds / Varjo Aero

F16c - F/A-18c - A10cII - Apache

This is running fine for me so far.

i7-13700K & 4090.  1440p

F/A 18

intentionally did not attach reshade to it but my echo 19 sounds mods appear to be running

As far as hardware behavior.  Prior to MT version I was getting low 17-20% CPU use and 95-99% GPU use with about max settings on all but traffic and trees and such.

Now with MT - the CPU seems to be about low to mid 30% use and the GPU is in the 70%.  I was never clear why the 4090 was maxed at 1440P (144fps) before but it ran well.

Can't say I see much in the way of more frames but rather more balanced hardware use.

PS - man do I miss reshade! 😅  Just trying to be good and limit any other variables as we test.

Don't forget that Win 11 may block this version of and you need to give permission again as it sees it as "new".  It was giving me a long load time and then could not authenticate because of this.

Edited by Apone

22 minutes ago, egon83 said:

Deleting those folders didn't help... still the same.

FYI Red and yellow CPU bound notification flashing rapidly.

@BIGNEWY any other ideas i could try?

• ED Team
19 minutes ago, egon83 said:

@BIGNEWY any other ideas i could try?

please attach your fresh dcs.log we can take another look 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Have you tested without your Scripts folder (rename). I remember I had that picture of frametimes with a corupted TacView installation. And there are many scrip loading errors in your dcs.log.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

1 minute ago, Limaro said:

Have you tested without your Scripts folder (rename). I remember I had that picture of frametimes with a corupted TacView installation. And there are many scrip loading errors in your dcs.log.

i will try now, but where is the folder? saved games ?

For me it is unplayable now in VR. Even in menu I get bad stuttering. Weird thing is that upon startup it kills my already running steam VR. The textures are floating in menu and in cockpit as well. Also the resolution is super low for some reason. Steam super sampling is set to 100%. Played F16 on Caucasus vs single Mig29 AI. Low settings. It almost seems like it is no longer using SteamVR for me.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, HP Reverb G2.

dcs.log

Edited by joji

vor 4 Minuten schrieb egon83:

i will try now, but where is the folder? saved games ?

you new log came just before my question. I see it's resolved with the scripts. I guess buy the small repair. Yes under Saved games / dcs.openbeta you have Scripts. in there, everything like TacView and Vaicom is located.

Did you monitor your CPU load while this is happening?

And second: Does non-MT still work as expected?

Edited by Limaro

3 minutes ago, Limaro said:

you new log came just before my question. I see it's resolved with the scripts. I guess buy the small repair. Yes under Saved games / dcs.openbeta you have Scripts. in there, everything like TacView and Vaicom is located.

I deleted the scrips folder, same result unfortunately, well actually...the whole PC crashed 5 seconds after loading the mission

I did not monitor, where do i do that?

non MT works fine

What I see around when talking to people, is that people with AMD cpu's get's alot of stuttering, Myselfe included. There are more stuttering and in some cases lower FPS in DCS with MT than without MT. While them with Intel CPU's gets ALOT of improvments, so much improvments that they can jazz up quality of textures and terrain and MSAA x4 and so on, while AMD users actually gets a worse experince in MT. 3600X, 5600X, 5800X3D, 5900X
So it seems that ED have problems with the use of AMD cores. Also since they only are talking about E-cores and P-cores, wich only Intel have in the FAQ

Edited by Snakey86

AMD 5800X3D, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, Gigabyte Aourus RX 6900XT Xtreme Waterforce @ 2800MHz @55*Celcius, Gigabyte B550 Aourus Pro V2, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z-Neo DDR4 3600MHz, 2x1TB WD Black SN850, Oculus Quest Pro

The game is unplayable for me in VR now. I had 50-60 fps before patch, and now I'm at 20-30fps. With or without MT enabled 😞

EDIT : I'm back to "normal" FPS after a repair of DCS. In Steam it's "Verify integrity of game files".

Edited by d0ppler

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Pretty rough go for me on MT day zero. I'm sure I'm not alone, although the initial reviews seem to be stellar.
I've lost an immediate ~25% performance with the MT option.

Background info:

SteamVR, Valve Index. 13700kf @5.5ghz. 6900xt, 32GB DDR5.

Single thread currently, I can run a consistent 45fps (it never goes above for some reason.. no ASW ever enabled) in the Apache, and even up to a solid 60fps in other modules, the 14, 16, 18, Huey... etc. Now in MT, with exactly the same graphics settings, it will give me a "CPU Bound" fault, and chug along at ~30fps. Slow frames, and lots of stuttering. The FPS counter also will show something like 30FPS "Theoretical FPS:215" like it's mocking me.

I get that it's the first day and ED has even said it may be messy. I'll add my dxdiag and DCS log along in here to help, but for now I can't get MT to even be playable.

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

12 minutes ago, Limaro said:

CPU load in task manager showing more or less around 30%

5 minutes ago, Snakey86 said:

What I see around when talking to people, is that people with AMD cpu's get's alot of stuttering, Myselfe included. There are more stuttering and in some cases lower FPS in DCS with MT than without MT. While them with Intel CPU's gets ALOT of improvments, so much improvments that they can jazz up quality of textures and terrain and MSAA x4 and so on, while AMD users actually gets a worse experince in MT. 3600X, 5600X, 5800X3D, 5900X
So it seems that ED have problems with the use of AMD cores. Also since they only are talking about E-cores and P-cores, wich only Intel have in the FAQ

Not for me. See my comment above.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb egon83:

CPU load in task manager showing more or less around 30%

That matches with mine so far. did you observe HDD load? I upload her an example from mine. As the MT is another exe, maybe firewall or antivirus starts looking to ambitious to it.

Does it happen with VR only or also without?

load.png

Runs fine for me on my 7900X so definitely not all AMD users, buttery silk smooth with the most consistent frame times I have ever seen. Very impressed so far, well done ED! No change to the base FPS, but there's a noticeable fluidity that wasn't there before, and I haven't had a single stutter, micro or longer.

Just to point that if you have a 5900X and up (it may affect lower core count models or older gen but I have no point of reference) if you turn on 'game mode' in Ryzen Master, it will turn off one of your CCD's, and halve your core/thread count. I suspect many don't notice or even realise this happens, it took me a while to work out when I randomly found my CPU cores halved in Window's task manager after running with it for over a month. May or may not make any difference, but there might be some performance there you didn't know you had.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X, Asrock X670E Steel Legend, 32GB DDR5 Corsair 5200mhz, DCS has a personal NVMe PCI-E 4.0, RTX3080, 4k 160hz LG Ultragear HDR600 Monitor.

Gear: Winwing Orion HOTAS 2 w/ F/A 18 grips, Winwing F16EX Joystick, Winwing Combat Ready + Takeoff Panels, MFD Crosswind Rudder Pedals, 2x TM MFD's.

9 hours ago, Limaro said:

That matches with mine so far. did you observe HDD load? I upload her an example from mine. As the MT is another exe, maybe firewall or antivirus starts looking to ambitious to it.

load.png

I dont know if it does that when not in VR, i havent tried as im not able or interested to play on a screen...

Drive load is next to nothing, using samsung 980pro m.2 

14 hours ago, Limaro said:

load.png

I wonder why your cores run quite smooth and mine spike, both in 2D and VR?

In VR in have this: CPU around 36%, GPU full load 100% (RTX 3080ti).

image.png

In 2D i have this: CPU around 19%, GPU 31%

image.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

vor einer Stunde schrieb Lange_666:

I wonder why your cores run quite smooth and mine spike, both in 2D and VR?

In VR in have this: CPU around 36%, GPU full load 100% (RTX 3080ti).

In 2D i have this: CPU around 19%, GPU 31%

What symphtoms do you have? The same a the author of the thread? For me it looks like an inssue with energy management of windows (CPU spikes) and limited frames by VSync or something likes this.

Symptoms in MT:
2D: sometimes supersmooth gameplay, sometimes light stutter, sometimes rowing boat effect (like the images goes back and forth, like the tip of a rowing boat). Overall game runs better after a while or a restart after the first run. Very quick loading times compared to 2.8.2 but i have the idea that more stuff (like scenery) is loaded after the game already started.
VR: sometimes stutter (even on low performance map like Caucasus).

2.8.3 isn't totally smooth either in ST as compared to 2.8.2 but not as bad as in MT.

I do run VSync and capped FPS but with VSync off and unlimited FPS same issue and even a lot worse. VSync + capped FPS gives the smoothest performance but it's not what it was in 2.8.2

Energy managment should not be a problem since i don't run anything with reduced power or suspended USB or whatever, these things are all turned off of run at max. Nothing there has changed since the update.

I also don't believe in a slow repair (yet) because everything ran fine previously before the update and the only thing that changed is the update.
If it would be the solution the update itself corrupted something then...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Lange_666:

Symptoms in MT:
2D: sometimes supersmooth gameplay, sometimes light stutter, sometimes rowing boat effect (like the images goes back and forth, like the tip of a rowing boat). Overall game runs better after a while or a restart after the first run. Very quick loading times compared to 2.8.2 but i have the idea that more stuff (like scenery) is loaded after the game already started.
VR: sometimes stutter (even on low performance map like Caucasus).

2.8.3 isn't totally smooth either in ST as compared to 2.8.2 but not as bad as in MT.

I do run VSync and capped FPS but with VSync off and unlimited FPS same issue and even a lot worse. VSync + capped FPS gives the smoothest performance but it's not what it was in 2.8.2

Energy managment should not be a problem since i don't run anything with reduced power or suspended USB or whatever, these things are all turned off of run at max. Nothing there has changed since the update.

I also don't believe in a slow repair (yet) because everything ran fine previously before the update and the only thing that changed is the update.
If it would be the solution the update itself corrupted something then...

But try at least without your scripts folder (rename it), and delete fxo und metashaders2.

Please post your dcs.log of a bad run, and maybe your dxdiag.

Edited by Limaro