Multithreading very poor performance - fixed with slow repair

egon83

Strange how this has been a blessing or a curse. For me it resurrected my low end system. I7 6700, GTX 970, 16 gigs RAM. Before mid level settings and 2x AA was what I ran to keep it at a playable 30fps. Now I can run 4x AA and turn up a number of settings and maintain above 30fps.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb egon83:

3 to 5 FPS and ED stopped responding to me.... 😞

I copied your ingame settings and tried, but I got nothing unexpected. But don't be sad on ED, it's weekend 😉 Meanwhile, you could just test the 2D-Mode (Compare ST and MT). this may help for further analysis.
Have you checked to common other performance things, spreaded over the forum? Like the power management I mentioned, but there are other like to turn of windows game mode. I guess there were more others.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

It's early days but the effect of MT for me is to drop FPS to 40-50% of usual. I normally get around 45-50fps and the MT version drops me to around 18 in game. In the opening hanger it goes from 50 to 25. I've tested in Caucus and Syria and with the Harrier and the Apache and all in single player with simple user generated test flights with only a few units. I've not done any tweaking of settings so far - not sure what to tweak - but I have most settings up towards the high end anyway. My system is:

i9-12900K   3.20 GHz, 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable), RTX 3080 Ti, Windows11 running a Reverb G2. I have a few modules like SAM asset pack and the Bronoc, Starfighter, Hercules but no modifications to the game system. I keep the DCSopenbeta file clean and only add stuff to the saved games.

Are there any diagnostics that I should run to get more of a picture of what is happening? Are there any files I can send to help ED programmers?

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, MrShooty said:

It's early days but the effect of MT for me is to drop FPS to 40-50% of usual. I normally get around 45-50fps and the MT version drops me to around 18 in game. In the opening hanger it goes from 50 to 25. I've tested in Caucus and Syria and with the Harrier and the Apache and all in single player with simple user generated test flights with only a few units. I've not done any tweaking of settings so far - not sure what to tweak - but I have most settings up towards the high end anyway. My system is:

i9-12900K   3.20 GHz, 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable), RTX 3080 Ti, Windows11 running a Reverb G2. I have a few modules like SAM asset pack and the Bronoc, Starfighter, Hercules but no modifications to the game system. I keep the DCSopenbeta file clean and only add stuff to the saved games.

Are there any diagnostics that I should run to get more of a picture of what is happening? Are there any files I can send to help ED programmers?

I have the exact same experience. My system is 

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core

GPU : GeForce RTX 3060 TI

RAM : 32GB

NB : Only tested MT in VR HP Reverb G2

Edited by d0ppler

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

On my system (I9-10900K, RTX3080, 32 GB RAM) the game runs with MT in 2D with a stable 180 fps on the Syria map (ingame settings nearly maxed out) - flawlessly.

In VR (Reverb G2 via OpenXR) I only reach 20 - 30 fps with identical settings, slight stuttering in low level flight and the permanent red message "CPU bound to main thread" meanwhile the GPU yawns from boredom. I have tested various settings with/without Motion Reprojection via the OpenXR Toolkit - it doesn´t change anything and the notice "CPU bound to main thread" remains permanently red. I also made a slow repair of the installation and deleted all mods but that didn´t help anything.

Even ST works better in VR - although I have also just 30 fps (as before the update) but it looks somewhat crispier than in MT and even low level flying over big cities is completely fluent -  no stuttering at all.

That can't actually be a hardware problem if the CPU only becomes a bottleneck just in VR and not in 2D, right?

I´m a little bit frustrated - the game is so amazing but there are always problems with VR after the patches 😞

Edited by Leafcutter1008
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:22 PM, Leafcutter1008 said:

On my system (I9-10900K, RTX3080, 32 GB RAM) the game runs with MT in 2D with a stable 180 fps on the Syria map (ingame settings nearly maxed out) - flawlessly.

In VR (Reverb G2 via OpenXR) I only reach 20 - 30 fps with identical settings, slight stuttering in low level flight and the permanent red message "CPU bound to main thread" meanwhile the GPU yawns from boredom. I have tested various settings with/without Motion Reprojection via the OpenXR Toolkit - it doesn´t change anything and the notice "CPU bound to main thread" remains permanently red. I also made a slow repair of the installation and deleted all mods but that didn´t help anything.

Even ST works better in VR - although I have also just 30 fps (as before the update) but it looks somewhat crispier than in MT and even low level flying over big cities is completely fluent -  no stuttering at all.

That can't actually be a hardware problem if the CPU only becomes a bottleneck just in VR and not in 2D, right?

I´m a little bit frustrated - the game is so amazing but there are always problems with VR after the patches 😞

I should test mine in 2D vs VR too. But the rest of your story sounds similar to mine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks for letting us know

I am getting the stuttering mess!(trying 2d before VR).

When you say slow repair do you mean on the dcs updater file in the bin folder?

Also should I try and remove any mods? (mainly just have a few of the sound mods) - but what is the best way to remove these? (what folder needs deleting)

and whats the best way to bring up a fps counter in dcs?

Edited by mac22

• ED Team
5 hours ago, mac22 said:

Also should I try and remove any mods? (mainly just have a few of the sound mods) - but what is the best way to remove these? (what folder needs deleting)

remove all unofficial mods, (depending on the mod it should have install / uninstall instructions)

close down all back ground tasks or programs you do not need to have running

ensure windows and all drivers are up to date. 

run a slow repair or verify if steam 

if you have 32gb RAM or less ensure you have your pagefile set correctly and on a fast SSD

disable hotplug in DCS controls page

you can enable the FPS counter with RCtrl + pause break

If you overclock consider it maybe to much and try default values 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb mac22:

Maybe before really uninstalling, just try deactive them im first place. Go to your Saved Games folder of windows (not the installation of DCS) It should be something like this: C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta (the <user> depends on you windows user name) and rename the "Scripts" folder to something else.

If it is still slow, and you did the steps from bignewy, please post your Log file. In the folder above you will also find the "Logs" directory, please upload your Logs\dcs.log file here, after having a slow DCS session. If you have questions about the listed steps, tell us.

Please also post your system specs, so we get an idea of your hardware.

Just for being sure that we talk about the same: The single threaded DCS mode works still fine, only MT makes problems?

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

remove all unofficial mods, (depending on the mod it should have install / uninstall instructions)

close down all back ground tasks or programs you do not need to have running

ensure windows and all drivers are up to date. 

run a slow repair or verify if steam 

if you have 32gb RAM or less ensure you have your pagefile set correctly and on a fast SSD

disable hotplug in DCS controls page

you can enable the FPS counter with RCtrl + pause break

If you overclock consider it maybe to much and try default values 

thanks will give it a try (starting with the slow clean up) 

assume you mean this?

also for the mods only really one I have is the core sound mod - could this really be causing the conflict? (also will check how to install but is there a folder where these mods 

sit so I can check if I might have installed anything else?) 

3 hours ago, Limaro said:

Maybe before really uninstalling, just try deactive them im first place. Go to your Saved Games folder of windows (not the installation of DCS) It should be something like this: C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta (the <user> depends on you windows user name) and rename the "Scripts" folder to something else.

If it is still slow, and you did the steps from bignewy, please post your Log file. In the folder above you will also find the "Logs" directory, please upload your Logs\dcs.log file here, after having a slow DCS session. If you have questions about the listed steps, tell us.

Just for being sure that we talk about the same: The single threaded DCS mode works still fine, only MT makes problems?

thanks - by uninstalling are you talking about the mods?

will try the clean up first - yes non MT works fine MT is a complete stutter fest and unplayable......

8 hours ago, Limaro said:

ok i now get what you mean - have found in my saved games folder (not install folder) I have the scripts folder (this seems to be virtually empty?) and also I have a mods folder (with my echo19 sound mod and some aircraft) - are you suggesting to disable the mods I just need to rename the "scripts" folder and I can just leave the "mods" folder unchanged to disable the mods and then I can just run the repair?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb mac22:

ok i now get what you mean - have found in my saved games folder (not install folder) I have the scripts folder (this seems to be virtually empty?) and also I have a mods folder (with my echo19 sound mod and some aircraft) - are you suggesting to disable the mods I just need to rename the "scripts" folder and I can just leave the "mods" folder unchanged to disable the mods and then I can just run the repair?

I mena to rename them, by that, they shall be disabled as they wont be found any more. Then just try DCS MT if it's working better.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:42 PM, Limaro said:

I mena to rename them, by that, they shall be disabled as they wont be found any more. Then just try DCS MT if it's working better.

thanks - actually did all that and the MT still does not work for me (message regarding CPU bound appears) have a i7 6700 and it seems some different CPU's will not work with the MT - there is already a thread on it

"MT CPU Bound Renderthread, CPU Main Thread"