[FIXED] JF-17 targeting pod bug in DCS 2.8.3.37556 Open Beta, MT and non-MT

eifionglyn

Just noticed some odd behaviour in the JF-17's targeting pod since updating to 2.8.3.37556 Open Beta, in MT and in non-MT - though the bug is different in each.

In MT, the view of the targetting pod display shakes around making it impossible to identify or designate targets. Effect is more pronounced at higher zoom levels. Wasn't like this till the previous patch. Previously in slaved mode it would drift slowly if pointing at terrain beyond 20 NM, but would fix to terrain under 20NM. Now it shakes about.

I thought this might be a MT bug, so tried the same situation in non-MT. There's a bug, but a different one. Now when you enable the targeting pod the screen - as in the entire screen, not just the MFD - goes black when looking straight ahead, look ~60 degrees off straight ahead and the display returns. Turn the power off to the pod, and the bug goes away. Turn the power back on, and as soon as it's started up and you uncage it, the screen goes black again.

Edited by uboats
  • Like 6

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Napillo:

You need the radar at least turned on so that it will stabilize the CLDP.

How the A-10 do that on short range? When i am over 22nm away then i understand. That here is a bug. That was never before so. You see the Video and the distance? 

for ST entire screen black, it happened before (maybe reappear this time). please record trk and video and report to ED. BTW, does it just happen around Batumi?

for MT, it's better to show trk and video. But we haven't changed wmd7 code for a long time. Need to investigate.

Edited by uboats
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

• uboats changed the title to [CHK] JF-17 targeting pod bug in DCS 2.8.3.37556 Open Beta, MT and non-MT
13 часов назад, uboats сказал:

for ST entire screen black, it happened before (maybe reappear this time). please record trk and video and report to ED. BTW, does it just happen around Batumi?

No, same problem in Syria.

Edited by Lorgar

On 3/14/2023 at 4:56 AM, Napillo said:

what happens if you turn the mirrors off?

I never have the mirrors turned on. 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:25 AM, 3000 Black Jets of Allah said:

The pod also shakes quite a bit when it's ground stabilized in ST. I saw a suggestion somewhere to turn on the radar but even with the radar on it shakes so much as it tries to maintain a ground track.

In ST I'm not able to comment on the behaviour of the pod as when the pod is on and uncaged my entire screen goes black when looking ahead. If I look to the right I can just about get to the avionics power switches to turn the pod off which restores the view ahead. Powering up the pod again and uncaging it makes the screen go black.

16 hours ago, DrGarantia said:

Exact same issue, with or without the radar the pod shakes like crazy I just got the module and tried an air spawn with the pod and had this issue. Both MT or ST versions.

Interesting - I get different behaviour in MT and ST. Shame you've just got the module and this is your early experience of it. Hopefully they will fix it soon, she's a great little jet.

• Like 1

With the new patch, the WMD7 Pod is complete destroyed. I have black boxes when i open the Pod monitor. Only in non IR mode the bug is coming. And i have the problem with the area lock. But new bug with that. When i move my curser, the lock is disable and the camera move. That is complete broke.

I install the complete game new. I have all on standard settings. Nothing help. And i think i can support my mates with the new hotfix patch 😞 

Sandy_Pants_Alpha__2.1-20230318-011739.trk

• Thanks 1

I found that by Uninstalling the JF-17 module, reverting DCS to an earlier 2.8 version, re-installing the JF-17, and then updating DCS I can use the WMD7 (but not in CCD mode which will cause the above issue) but the Ground mapping radar still shows nothing, no green returns from the terrain. Oddly enough the "Training" missions, everything works fine 🤔 

Edited by =Thumper=

Doesn't appear to be. I'm having the same problem in the Viggen when I have the Mavericks turned on and I point the sight at the ground. as soon as I turn the sight off or point it back above the horizon I'm back to normal.

I can't even get the tpod to power on. I tried doing a mission from the landing page and it works, but if I load into a MP server and rearm then update the DTC the wmd-7 is green but when I try to power it on it doesn't. For a split second the message comes on the screen aligning please wait 60 sec, and never powers up. 

I've seen that kind of judder/shaking in the past when the WMD7 is following a waypoint, not ground stabilized...

Today I ran into an issue where if I aimed at a far away waypoint, too far away to be able to ground stabilize on it (using the new increased rendering range <3), and then moved the cursor, I could not get the WMD7 to stick to the waypoint again any more without caging and uncaging. 2xS2 press to unlock and revert back to waypoint SPI didn't work, neither did swapping to SP when back to SLAV. I mean the pod did turn back to the target, but then immediately drifted off again.

Tried the tpod in A-A mode yesterday, trying to slave it to a plane locked by the radar. It snaps to the plane, but doesn't stay slaved afterwards, the circle indicating where the tpod is looking on the HUD being stationary on it, moving with the plane.

So seems like something got broken in the slave mechanism after you've moved the targeting manually with the slew. It seems like both in A-A and A-G situations the tpod snaps to the waypoint or selected target on the radar, but doesn't stay slaved to it, just acting as if it's in snowplow with an offset. If you ground stabilize or lock up a target on it it will keep following that, but slaving seems broken.

@codyj007 Noticed this behavior as well when testing again yesterday. Used to be that ground stabilized was fine, just slaved juddered like that, but now it's juddering like heck all the time, unless you're flying at the target in a very stable manner.

Will try to get track files for all of these issues.

1 hour ago, uboats said:

it's really weird, since we haven't touched wmd7 code for months 😞

the programmer will check this issue asap

I work in game dev too (racing sims), and I know EXACTLY what you guys are feeling right now w.r.t. this... Stay strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tl;dr: Currently it seems like there are at least two issues going on: Doing S2 Push twice does _not_ revert the SPI/DST 40 to the selected waypoint (assuming that's what is supposed to happen), you actually have to re-select the waypoint to do that, and neither does it consistently point the tpod to the SPI/DST 40, whether it does seems to depend either on just pure luck, or what is shown on the tpod video feed? (Having very little motion, and a zoomed out picture with lots of contrasting features seems to make it more likely to work, while lots of movement and an indistinct image seems like it prevents it from working?)

Been trying to replicate the A-A slaved issue, but not having any luck, it's working exactly like I'd expect it to today... Dang Heisenbugs...

Just a quick question to make sure I'm understanding this right: If you do S2 Push twice, the system is supposed to revert the SPI/DST 40 back to the currently selected waypoint, correct?

Assuming that's correct, here are some of my findings today:

A-G slaving still gets borked after you've tried to lock/ground stabilize it, though it seems a bit more complicated than I though? Just slewing the tpod isn't enough to trigger the behavior, if you just slave it away from the waypoint, then do S2 Push, the tpod will jump to the waypoint. But if you press T5 to attempt a ground stabilization/do an area lock, you can't use S2 Push anymore to get back to the waypoint.

Additionally if I find a ground target and lock it up with the tpod, then slew away from it, I can do an S2 Push and it'll hop back to the ground target.

So right now it kind of feels like this, if I have the logic somewhat correctly in my head:

1. If you just turn the tpod on, it'll slew to the currently selected waypoint, and track it. It jitters around if you're not flying right at it, but it works. In this situation the waypoint is the SPI.

2. If you slew the tpod around, it won't automatically ground stabilize, and it'll keep turning with the plane, but you can do S2 Push to get it to hop back to the waypoint. Waypoint is still the SPI, and the S2 Push will slew to it.

3. If you if you do T5 Push to ground stabilize/area lock, the tpod will update that as the current SPI, but if you then unlock that by doing S2 Push, and then try to revert back to the waypoint with another S2 Push, that won't happen. Looking at coordinates for DST 40, the current active SPI, on one of the MFDs while doing this also shows that the SPI doesn't revert to the waypoint, whatever the tpod was looking at when you did S2 Push the first time to undesignate the area track will stay as DST 40.

Here's where it gets really confusing for me right now:

4. If at this point you hammer on the S2 Push, one of two things happens:

a) Nothing. The tpod will keep traveling over the ground with the plane, neither ground stabilizing (as it shouldn't) nor hopping back to the waypoint, or even the SPI/DST 40. This seems to happen particularly when the video feed on the tpod is moving a lot or has a very flat/non-contrasting image. So if you've set the plane to orbit, or are flying parallel to where the tpod is looking, or are super zoomed in on an indistinct piece of sand, doing S2 Push tends to do absolutely nothing.

b) It snaps to DST 40, which is whatever the tpod was looking at when you last did S2 Push to undesignate the track. This seems to happen especially if the tpod is looking in the direction of travel (there's very little movement on the screen) and you're somewhat zoomed out, with lots of stuff visible on the screen.

If you run into a), where doing S2 Push does nothing, you can often zoom out a bit, slew the camera around, then try again, and the next time you do S2 Push you might actually snap back to DST 40 (which, again, isn't the currently selected waypoint). Or you might not, it seems partially random, partially dependent on what's happening on the screen...

If you want to actually revert SPI/DST 40 to the current waypoint, you need to re-enter the waypoint. Might even have to select another waypoint, then go back to the one you want, not 100%, didn't test specifically for that.

I have two short tracks, one with me starting with doing a circle on autopilot, and faffing around with the tpod, then heading towards the target (an IFV) and shooting it with a laser guided rocket. In this case you can see how even mashing the S2 Push while turning doesn't really seem to work to point the camera at a spot, instead it just keeps turning with the plane. Cycling between SP and Slav doesn't really achieve anything either.

The other test is just me flying straight towards the target and faffing around with the tpod, dst page etc., and in this one sometimes the tpod hops back to looking at DST 40, sometimes it doesn't, feels mostly random.

I'll try to record video too later, just in case the tracks play differently on your end...

JF-17 Slaving test.trkJF-17 Slaving test 2.trk

Edited by jubuttib