Will the Eurofighter get the NVE (Night Vision Equipment) for the HMSS?

Thorluis2

I was wondering if the Eurofighter would get NVE equipment option for the HMSS, I can't find any info if it is or is not going to come with the Eurofighter. The night vision equipment is the two budges on the side of the helmet.

From airpower.at:

Two binocular four-color Cathode-Ray-Tube emitters with high resolution cast an image onto a mirror, which in turn projects this 40° onto the visor of the helmet for the pilot. The night vision device is implemented using two charge-coupled device cameras - also with a 40° field of view - which can optionally be attached to the sides of the helmet.

www.airpower.atstriker_p0528491.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thorluis2 said:

I was wondering if the Eurofighter would get NVE equipment option for the HMSS, I can't find any info if it is or is not going to come with the Eurofighter. The night vision equipment is the two budges on the side of the helmet.

From airpower.at:

Two binocular four-color Cathode-Ray-Tube emitters with high resolution cast an image onto a mirror, which in turn projects this 40° onto the visor of the helmet for the pilot. The night vision device is implemented using two charge-coupled device cameras - also with a 40° field of view - which can optionally be attached to the sides of the helmet.

www.airpower.atstriker_p0528491.jpg

The NVE cameras were tested, but didn't work satisfactorily. As a consequence these cameras were never fielded and operators are using conventional NVGs instead, mostly with standard helmets, like the HGU-55, or with modified HEA Mk2 (Striker I) helmets. The RAF in particular has modified the HEA with an adaptor on the head front to permit fitting of NVG. Striker II features a built in NV sensor, but isn't operationally employed yet. The NVG might nevertheless be part of the EF module, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spectre11 said:

The NVE cameras were tested, but didn't work satisfactorily. As a consequence these cameras were never fielded and operators are using conventional NVGs instead, mostly with standard helmets, like the HGU-55, or with modified HEA Mk2 (Striker I) helmets. The RAF in particular has modified the HEA with an adaptor on the head front to permit fitting of NVG. Striker II features a built in NV sensor, but isn't operationally employed yet. The NVG might nevertheless be part of the EF module, though.

About the HGU-55: When is that used instead of the HMSS(Striker I, whatever the name is now)? I would assume that it lacks the HMD part

1 hour ago, Spectre11 said:

Well, the DVI didn't work well either, but Truegrit said that they'll make it the way it was intended to work. So I think they might make the NVE too, as it probably isn't a very classified system.

2 minutes ago, Cunning_Raven said:

Well, the DVI didn't work well either, but Truegrit said that they'll make it the way it was intended to work. So I think they might make the NVE too, as it probably isn't a very classified system.

DVI is operational on the aircraft, the NVE cameras are not. Big difference.

26 minutes ago, Zahnatom said:

About the HGU-55: When is that used instead of the HMSS(Striker I, whatever the name is now)? I would assume that it lacks the HMD part

You'll find a lot of photographs and videos where EF pilots wear normal helmets like HGU-53 or -55. The HMSS isn't always worn and most operators use NVGs in conjunction with normal (non-HMD) helmets. Consider the weight and balance issues related to HMSS and NVG. 

6 minutes ago, Spectre11 said:

You'll find a lot of photographs and videos where EF pilots wear normal helmets like HGU-53 or -55. The HMSS isn't always worn and most operators use NVGs in conjunction with normal (non-HMD) helmets. Consider the weight and balance issues related to HMSS and NVG. 

Yeah, I didn't think about that.

20 hours ago, Spectre11 said:

The USAF NGFWH has the whole head mounted display and visor pull off to mount NVGs. They also tested using the head mounted display with cameras and determined that it was inferior. Camera/display based NV systems have a long way to go.

9 hours ago, Thorluis2 said:

I just hope that it is added to the Eurofighter that we are getting in DCS, it would be a nice feature for night missions.

An NV system inferior to regular NVGs would be a nice addition?

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:12 PM, Spectre11 said:

The 'HGU-53 or -55' isn't used on the Eurofighter (Typhoon).

For non-HMSS helmet (known as 'Striker' by BAES) & ADOM oxygen mask flights the Gentex Aircrew Combat System (ACS) Helmet and mask is worn by most European operators https://shop.gentexcorp.com/gentex-air-combat-fixed-wing-helmet-system-acs/

Being 'different', the UK fly the HISL/Gentex Eu Mk10C or R helmet with P/Q mask for day/conventional night flying:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/raf-mk10-alpha-flying-helmet-type-489475039

and the older, heavier Mk4A/4 helmet for NVG use:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/raf-mk4a4-flying-helmet-946849730

'Striker II' has an NVG camera built in, whilst a very basic NVG capability exists for first gen HMSS:

https://twitter.com/BAESystemsAir/status/322616037642215424/photo/1

Edited by Harry.R

9 hours ago, Harry.R said:

The 'HGU-53 or -55' isn't used on the Eurofighter (Typhoon).

The Gentex ACS is the HGU-53, or a version of it.

You are right that the RAF (and UK managed export customers) are using the Mk4 and Mk10 as alternatives. 

The GAF and, if I'm not mistaken, IAF use the HGU-55 for NVG, as the ACS isn't readily NVG capable.