Yet another Canadian Fictional ...

CrazyD

My second, more involved attempt at this skinning business. I know its not perfect (the stars on the tail shouldn't be there, the colours don't line up - that will be hard to fix!, and probably some other issues too. But its a start.

CRD

CRD3.gif.a412a03eef052d55d2f90cf4b8e1243c.gif

CRD2.gif.b469920ecec50e1176d5e3af28b637ce.gif

CRD1.gif.4690a80fe012d43b312edd3fd481c469.gif

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm afraid that in my attempts to clean up the skin, so that the pattern lines up properly on the various skin panels, I ended up seriously screwing up the whole thing so bad that I had to start again (and lesson Number 1 is to save a copy somewhere, lol).

At any rate, I'm doing another skin - this time its going much faster, but I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how to align the patterns better, given that not all the panels are actually next to each other on the template? I thought about having the grid view enabled - any other suggestions?

Crazy, I'm not sure how others do it. For me, I created a bunch of extra layers (basically for each piece of the aircraft) Then (for instance lets do the tail) I would go to the layer with the tail, select it, then rotate/move it so it is beside the other tail piece, make sure the pattern is matches, then move it back to where it is suppose to be

Time consuming, but it gets the job done.

Hi Moose - How's Halifax? Nippy? We had 10 -13 degrees here yesterday!

Thanks for your suggestion - (Gulp!). I have to admit - that sounds better than my thought of using a grid and trying to measure distances and guestimation. Your tutorial - looks like you might have another couple weeks avail before I'm gonna need option B and C, lol.

I've got the other skin downloads from LockonFiles that are non-modman 7.1 compatible - I was thinking that since no-one has remade them into 7.1 compatible that I would try myself (unless people are holding off and wantin to submit them to DCS for their upcoming patch). But of course, I'll need some guidance. I made an attempt using that DOSAAF skin - having just the CDDS file - but I couldn't locate any lma7 file in the CDDS explorer or Modman window - simply just don't know what I'm doing, ha ha.

Hey!

I was just there earlier this week for the CC177 flights that came in. Nice wheater indeed!

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Ok, here's version 2, more of a desert fictional. This one was an attempt to keep the pattern aligned throughout the various panels - I think I was fairly successful. I know the top of the rotor is the wrong colour. And for the life of me, I can't get rid of the red star on the tail. I've unchecked that layer, and unless there's something I don't know - I guess I'll try deleting that layer. And I think the main colour is too "orange-y" for a desert scheme, what do you all think?

CRDver2a.gif.6e96c7cf507437f6cfef4dba6902078a.gif

CRDver2b.gif.11a4bf74cbe97a9d9425f1c8297aca34.gif

CRDver2c.gif.037e62edd2fee17726763363f3567931.gif

CRDver2d.gif.c92902693a0790f8ee36d3c124e7c338.gif

• Like 1

Crasy D I would suggest going to simmers paint shop and using the military paint color swatches such as this one http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-FS595B1.html to find where smaller panel line up i use a form of this lay out i use a grid i found the different strips of color and lines have a look good stuff. The skin looks very good and am sure will turn out fine once yu have chosen a better base color

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Ok, folks - I think I've got a really good desert (fictional) skin to present to you all. however, I need to get rid of the star on the tail and bottom fuselage. I've gone so far as to delete the "star" layer and it still shows up in-game. Any reason for this?

Edit: For info's sake - I'm using the temptexture's route to do quick check of skin - if I were to create the full skin file - would they finally disappear?

Edited by CrazyD

Desert Fiction ver2

Ok, here's what I think might be a good desert fictional skin. Of course I'm trying to eliminate the stars but this is pretty much how I'm gonna leave this skin.

I'm also going to do a second version of my first posted skin design - a better aligned and cleaner pattern.

The next question is: does anyone want this?

CRD

CRDver3a.gif.1953fa6f645622631f702fa1109f34a3.gif

CRDver3b.gif.4f54400be260a632b723a9e4f06c7bae.gif

CRDver3c.gif.443522f460735e1f24d2fefa27d13604.gif

Very nice!

Perhaps the Canada markings could be a little bigger, but that's just me. Nice job!:thumbup:

Pitbull

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Moose,

I went all the way and deleted the star layer on both "Paint1" and "Paint2" files. But you know what? I'm gonna compromise and place the Canada Flag beneath the "Star", a bit bigger as per pitbull's suggestion, and we'll pretend that its a joint Russian/Canadian squadron!:pilotfly:

You know, there are times when I absolutely HATE computers, software, and anything directly related!

For the last hour, I've been trying to save my .psd files as .bmp files, or renaming .bmp files to my skin design as per Moose's tutorial. For one reason or another, re-naming some files causes the process to crash and trying to return to the folder will cause the crash again. I have to delete the folder cause I can't do anything with it, as it crashes and closes on its own. Any experts out there want to ask me detailed questions to help me figure this out? All I'm trying to do is contribute to the community!!!!

:cry:

Ok, after a several hour struggle with Photoshop, and having to make work-arounds to get the #%##$ files to save as bmps, then going through the growing pains of creating the Modman-auto-install package, I've submitted the final skin onto LockonFiles (hasn't shown up yet - don't know how long that will take). Let me know how you like it (when you're able to get it of course ....:thumbup:)

Oh, and the "Stars" disappeared - as I thought, when doing the temptextures install route, there must be a file that still calls for the original file that doesn't get overwritten by any of the 10 new files temporarily installed into temptextures. With my own skin file installed by Modman - the skin is set up as desired. :smilewink:

ScreenShot_000.thumb.jpg.5bd1e53a6ec5ddf1ef89cee2cdf4e9b1.jpg

Glad to hear you got it all worked out. Lockonfiles uses takes 4 or 5 hrs, depending on when you submit it and how many files are ahead of yours.....

One thing to note, if you ever make any changes to skin and want to upload a new version, the modify or edit download doesn't work. You'll need to submit it as a new download, and they'll merge it with your old one.