Little to no effect from MT - diagnosing files included

Go to solution Solved by NightstalkerNOR,

I am experiencing the same symptoms as many others here (ie. I get less FPS with MT in VR and more FPS with MT Non-VR - Game Performance Bugs - ED Forums (dcs.world), seeing little to no effect from the MT-update. I've tried to troubleshoot but no positive results so far.

-fxo and metashaders deleted after every update

-Removed all mods in the "Saved games" folder and then repaired DCS. (i've installed some addons after that, but the repair was done withouth the addons)

-VR MT=around 50-55 FPS

-VR no MT= 45-50 FPS

-2D MT= constant 180 stable

-2D no MT= 160-180

Which missions are better to test the MT function?

DCS Settings.PNG

DCS VR Settings.PNG

G2 Settings.PNG

NCP1.PNG

NCP2.PNG

NCP3.PNG

OpenXR.PNG

DxDiag.txt dcs non multithreading.log DCS OB - VR.trk dcs multithreading.log DCS OB - MT - VR.trk

Edited by NightstalkerNOR
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:02 PM, NightstalkerNOR said:

I am experiencing the same symptoms as many others here (ie. I get less FPS with MT in VR and more FPS with MT Non-VR - Game Performance Bugs - ED Forums (dcs.world), seeing little to no effect from the MT-update. I've tried to troubleshoot but no positive results so far.

-fxo and metashaders deleted after every update

-Removed all mods in the "Saved games" folder and then repaired DCS. (i've installed some addons after that, but the repair was done withouth the addons)

-VR MT=around 50-55 FPS

-VR no MT= 45-50 FPS

-2D MT= constant 180 stable

-2D no MT= 160-180

Which missions are better to test the MT function?

DCS Settings.PNG

DCS VR Settings.PNG

G2 Settings.PNG

NCP1.PNG

NCP2.PNG

NCP3.PNG

OpenXR.PNG

DxDiag.txt 101.46 kB · 0 downloads dcs non multithreading.log 56.56 kB · 0 downloads DCS OB - VR.trk 10.27 MB · 0 downloads dcs multithreading.log 61.12 kB · 0 downloads DCS OB - MT - VR.trk 10.37 MB · 0 downloads

So why do you think it is a bug? I seen a little increase in your FPS while not massive but still a gain.  Not sure but you do realize your settings are extremely high. I know what your system is but VR is not the same as pancake 2D..

I would suggest if you want better performance in VR try turning down some settings even the resloution down would help. some errers listed in the mt log and it also looks like you are recording with tacview?

I have a 3070 and am able to get 60-70% res with most other settings medium or below. I will run your trk file and see what 
I get..

EDIT: I ran your trk file in vr and was getting a low of 60 to 72. when I did it in 2d I was getting 110-120. I tell you what I will run with your settings in the trk file you are dogfighting those mig29's and I will probally tank in FPS.. haha!!

Well not as bad as I thought was gettin 50-60fps and I tried syria golan heights it was still pretty good but I was @ 2400x2400 res or 60%% for my rig.. idk try a mp mission I am gonna try it seems the fps are holding pretty good but not at your rez..

Try a busy lots of players multiplayer mission and see those frames tank a bit.. they work fine when nothing is there or minimal objects but in a busy server it might even choke the 3090ti..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

15 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

So why do you think it is a bug? I seen a little increase in your FPS while not massive but still a gain.  Not sure but you do realize your settings are extremely high. I know what your system is but VR is not the same as pancake 2D..

I would suggest if you want better performance in VR try turning down some settings even the resloution down would help. some errers listed in the mt log and it also looks like you are recording with tacview?

I have a 3070 and am able to get 60-70% res with most other settings medium or below. I will run your trk file and see what 
I get..

EDIT: I ran your trk file in vr and was getting a low of 60 to 72. when I did it in 2d I was getting 110-120. I tell you what I will run with your settings in the trk file you are dogfighting those mig29's and I will probally tank in FPS.. haha!!

Well not as bad as I thought was gettin 50-60fps and I tried syria golan heights it was still pretty good but I was @ 2400x2400 res or 60%% for my rig.. idk try a mp mission I am gonna try it seems the fps are holding pretty good but not at your rez..

Try a busy lots of players multiplayer mission and see those frames tank a bit.. they work fine when nothing is there or minimal objects but in a busy server it might even choke the 3090ti..

Thanks for your reply, and taking the time to give your thoughts! I am in no way shape or form a computertech, so all suggestions are well recieved. I am only doing troubleshooting here.

The "bug question" is regarding the lack of increased performance with MT, not necessarily the performance in itself.

I am aware that I can turn down my setting to get better performance, but I was under the impression that I would see some sort of increase. I will fully comply with a correction of my impression if I should lower my expectaions, however I am not GPU-bound, but CPU-bound, and I did see an increase in 2D with MT. I would expect the same in VR as long as it should affect the CPU workload, but I am seeing the opposite on my side?

While not too obvious in the mission trk. files linked above, I believe I will have to try again with a more heavy scenario.

I will try to disable tacview and see if it gives some positive effect.

I've stressed the system, significally I would say. While I cannot see the large difference between DCS MT on/off, it seems like it can handle a much heavier load than previously. 

Please see the attached images, logs and trk. files. (Edit: I understand that the F22 mod will conflict with viewing the .trk file.)

I've also made some adjustments to the Nvidia settings, both Global and program. The screen resolution inside DCS have been changed to lowest resolution. Everything else is untouched.

Flying this mission, I'm having a "stable" 40-45 fps, with dips in the late 30's. It flows quite smooth. But I am unsure I see any difference between the versions

NCP Global settings 2.PNG

NCP Global settings 3.PNG

NCP Global settings.PNG

NCP program settings .PNG

NCP program settings 2.PNG

NCP program settings 3.PNG

VR No MT overview.PNG

VR No MT.PNG

Resource view MT.PNG

Task manager MT.PNG

Retribution Caucasus Turn 1.retribution retribution_nextturn.miz DCS no MT VR.trk dcs no MT.log DCS MT VR.trk dcs MT.log

Edited by NightstalkerNOR

I need some help understanding the MT-issue.

I've been trying DCS Retribution campaign generator with a lot of assets, and scripts running, for example artillery and moving ground assets. When running the in-game fps counter I see that I am often GPU-bound at 35-45, depending on where I am in the terrain. But when I also see a "theoretical fps" which is often more than double that and higher. My experience as of now is that the sim runs rather smooth, even though my fps is down in the 30's.

I am unfamiliar with the term "theoretical fps". Is this part of the MT-function, and therefore the reason that the sim seems smoother even though the fps i "lower"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I am marking this issue as solved. The sim runs smooth in scenarios that previously would put extensive pressure on the computer.

However my question above still stands, so the solution/explanation to the issue is not clear to me, especially what "theoretical FPS is". If anyone have any explanation to add to the post, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I have a i912900 / 4090, similar results.

the only 4090 set that make any difference in dcs is latency to ultra.

on ultra i have gpu bound, and theoretically fps higher in VR, i wonder too about the meaning and how to reach that value.

cpu load 20-40%.

on 2d most of the time 180fps

On 4/4/2023 at 3:26 PM, NightstalkerNOR said:

I am marking this issue as solved. The sim runs smooth in scenarios that previously would put extensive pressure on the computer.

However my question above still stands, so the solution/explanation to the issue is not clear to me, especially what "theoretical FPS is". If anyone have any explanation to add to the post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Theoretical FPS is how many FPS your CPU is pushing, so you can see the max possible FPS that your PC can have.
This Theoretical FPS will fluctuate with missions and also will remain the same even if you have a 4090, also be aware that the sim currently has a 180fps lock, and you can increase it.

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !