5+5 Exhaust on a V12 Engine - some1 enlighten me

Jel

I know this is accurate so that´s mainly because of interest: Is there any information on how the shortened exhausts are arranged ? I can see 5 on each side of the Merlin and immediately start wondering, how a v12 engine gets around using not 12 but only 10 pipes. Is there a pair on each engine conducted somewhere i can´t see from the cockpits pov ?

Edited by Jel

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

The 5 and 6 ports were combined. I think this was to prevent gasses from the exhaust bleeding into the inboard rads with the outer exhausts being mirrored for simplcity of manufacture/ spares stock. Aussie and Cannuck variants can be seen with 5 inboard and 6 outboard. Some sources suggest to was also to prevent the wooden structure from being damaged but I think this may be bogus.

I also believe some later Merlin engines were better able to accomodate 6 stacks without fear of hot gas ingestion. 

You can just make out the fabrication in this image (also note the detail on the stacks that, last time i checked ((admittedly some time ago)) was dissappointingly absent on the DCS model. 

11036973_web1_M-FlightPaths-edh-180316.jpg

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

But it isn't that odd really, earlier Spitfire and Hurricane variants had exhaust stacks arranged two by two so you ended up seeing from the outside only 3 stacks even though it's the same V12 engine. Design choices for whatever reason.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

4 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I also believe some later Merlin engines were better able to accomodate 6 stacks without fear of hot gas ingestion. 

The two-stage compression Merlins are longer and thus had room for 6 exhausts stubs.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

But it isn't that odd really, earlier Spitfire and Hurricane variants had exhaust stacks arranged two by two so you ended up seeing from the outside only 3 stacks even though it's the same V12 engine. Design choices for whatever reason.

The early variants were also supposed to be day and night fighters; the combined two-into-one exhaust manifolds were as I understand it an attempt to balance the advantage of using the exhaust as thrust but also provide a measure of flame dampening to prevent the pilot being blinded at night.

As use of the Spitfire at night curtails through 1942-43 (because it's realised they aren't that effective at night, plus the dedicated radar equipped night-fighter force is starting to get more potent) we see the 6x ejector stack exhausts become more common as these are more effective at harnessing the latent thrust from the ejected exhaust gases.

• Thanks 1