Just bought the Viggen

Beirut

What a riot of an airplane. 😃

I tried it once or twice on the free trials but never really got into it. This time I have it on the free trial and actually put some effort into it and it's a blast. So I picked it up. I always thought the Viggen people were an odd bunch - they are - and now I understand the appeal. This thing is just fun, and surprisingly simple to figure out. A wonderfully weird and enjoyable plane. 

Just been flying around and trying things out, haven't run a real mission yet, but that's sure to be good fun as well. In any case, what an exceptional module.

• Like 12

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

Welcome in the world of Viggen! :wavetowel:

Thank you. Now I'm part of your twisted tribe. 😜

I love the Mavericks in this thing. It's such good fun.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Beirut said:

What a riot of an airplane. 😃

I tried it once or twice on the free trials but never really got into it. This time I have it on the free trial and actually put some effort into it and it's a blast. So I picked it up. I always thought the Viggen people were an odd bunch - they are - and now I understand the appeal. This thing is just fun, and surprisingly simple to figure out. A wonderfully weird and enjoyable plane. 

Just been flying around and trying things out, haven't run a real mission yet, but that's sure to be good fun as well. In any case, what an exceptional module.

It truly is an odd airplane, but in a good way 😄

• Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

11 hours ago, freehand said:

I am not really an HB fan, but the Viggen in VR is great and the sounds in the pit are lovely and good fun.

I'm definitely a Heatblur fan in that they do incredible work. Although I barely fly the Tomcat at all, it was never a plane that interested me, I picked it up just to enjoy the quality of the module.

I'd give the Tomcat to someone if I could, but I'm keeping my Viggen. It's funny how some planes grab you and others don't. 

• Like 2

That first time you skim the sea to release an RBS-15 and bank sharply away back down to seagull height and destroy an enemy ship is a great feeling.

I'm the same, bought the Tomcat, but rarely fly it, I always find myself going back to the Viggen.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Minhal said:

Welcome to the cool-kids-club 🙂  She's definitely an enjoyable ride and combined with that real world manual a deep rabbit hole. Can't wait to let her cruise her own turf once Kola drops (two weeks™️).

Big time looking forward to Kola. And you're right, that will add some fun to the Viggen.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Swiso said:

The plane is a blast to fly....low and fast... nothing is more exciting than this ! 😄

A weapon I really like to employ with the Viggen is the BK90.

Enjoy ! 

BK90 is a lot of fun. But so is SB71 toss release 😄

Love how the Viggen is an easy to learn, hard to master bird. No laser, no GPS, no TGP, no datalinks. No loitering at angels 25 dropping smart ordnance while eating a sandwich. Just you and R2D2s mute cousin. You really need to build situational awareness, an understanding of where you are, where your target is, memorize terrain features beforehand to orientate. Pop up, acquire, roll in, put that thing on the thing, pickle and get the heck out on Mach 0.95 while things around go beeep booop beeep beeep bup beeep bup brrrr.

Viggen is when you bring a crowbar to a gun fight. Its personal. I truly am in love.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Minhal said:

BK90 is a lot of fun. But so is SB71 toss release 😄

Love how the Viggen is an easy to learn, hard to master bird. No laser, no GPS, no TGP, no datalinks. No loitering at angels 25 dropping smart ordnance while eating a sandwich. Just you and R2D2s mute cousin. You really need to build situational awareness, an understanding of where you are, where your target is, memorize terrain features beforehand to orientate. Pop up, acquire, roll in, put that thing on the thing, pickle and get the heck out on Mach 0.95 while things around go beeep booop beeep beeep bup beeep bup brrrr.

Viggen is when you bring a crowbar to a gun fight. Its personal. I truly am in love.

You describe perfectly what is all the excitement of flying the Viggen ! 😄

The only "drawback" I could say is that it is really not a plane to go for target of opportunity...  basically all must be pre-planned.

But in a way it give you a sense of tranquillity...because you know what your task it is and all is planned accordingly....

And...if you see trees below you, you're definitely flying too high...🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Swiso said:

The only "drawback" I could say is that it is really not a plane to go for target of opportunity...  basically all must be pre-planned.

You can get a surprising amount of TOO out of if, if you grab the right weapons.

Sure, you're limited to your mk1 eyeballs and the simple radar for finding targets. But it can be done.

• Like 1

Of course you can do it, but It wouldn't be my plane of choice... mainly because you are pretty limited in the amount of ordnance you can carry and the mix of it...

Basically you are limited by 2x A-G guided weapons (or 4x BK90) and a combination of gunpods/ ecm /chaff pods....

To me with this limitation, you either go for the planned TGT or go out hunting for TOO.

Don't think I would do both on one mission...

• Like 1

While targets of opportunity are indeed a (great) thing in the Viggen, i really fancy the pre-planned strike role most. Having a set route, include nav points for a fix, set TOT to arrive on point. Just working on learning/practicing that part. It is a lot of fun.

TOO is cool because things just develop spontaneously, are fluid. Planned strikes on the other hand are a lot about focusing on correct execution of what was planned beforehand. Two very different worlds, each asking for very different skills. Both enjoyable in their own way.

• Like 3

I'm also new to the Viggen, and have been enjoying it a lot!  I'm also a big fan of the Planned Strikes it's designed to do.  Will be interesting to see how that works out online, especially on ECW and TBF.  Sounds like at least on ECW setting up waypoints is pretty 'automagic' which will be nice.  Also good to know that it can still have a bit of Freedom to go hunting.  I figure those Rocket Pods might be a good choice for that, or just the gunpods even.

When I first trialed it I thought 'wow this thing is so NASA meets Buck Rogers' so it's been a journey finding out that yes, that impression was pretty much correct!  And, the side bonus of once you start to get into learning the systems, they really aren't that complicated after all.  Just very ... Specific and Methodical.

And I love the Thrust Reverser!  I want to build a buttshaker for my chair just for that feeling!  lol

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

@Beirut

Welcome to the club my friend! emoji847.png

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thank you.  :drinks_cheers:

Still enjoying the basics with this thing. Love the engine sound and the ridiculous simplicity of the Mavericks. Going to have to bug Therio to make one of his great CadPat skins for it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very cool! I´ve watched the german tutorial series by Rakuzad, and it really motivated me! 😉 I just bought the Viggen, and I´m totally looking forward to learning it...  

Edited by Mik75
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

20 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

and I´m totally looking forward to learning it...  

these are old, but I learned the Viggen with them:

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

I am a fan of the Viggen and just love the RB-05 (remote controlled missiles). Feels great when you nail the target.

• Like 2

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR