Do multi monitor work under vista because there is no Switch To Horizontal span Mode

jib

Let me get this straight

Do multi monitors work under vista because there is no Switch To Horizontal span with Nvidia drivers?

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Let me get this straight

Do multi monitors work under vista because there is no Switch To Horizontal span with Nvidia drivers?

It will not work in Vista and also not in Windows 7 in full screen!!!

You have to stay with XP if you need the span mode!

That's not the fault of Nvidia nor that you could uncover this with a Tweak or so.

It just because Microsoft decided to drop this Feature because of DRM!!

Imagine that someone would show (or even capture) the Half of a Disney video on a monitor in a format that was not certificated for the Movie because it belongs not to the standard of DigitalRightsManagment !

And I'm (like many other) very ,very unhappy about this!

Look also here:http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16745 or google.

Edited by urze

Which you have to use anyway if your monitors are not the same res..

(I haven't noticed any frame rate drop in window-mode)

Sorry, but thats not right.

I'm able to span across monitors with different native resolutions and even up scale the res in XP- That means that I run a 1600x1080 on a native 1024x768 screen.

See this video as Proof: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1627326198keXc3X?source=embed (sorry for the bad sound!)

This is two times 1680x1050 in vertical span.

Black Shark is set to 1680x2100 in the options while in full screen.

Edited by urze

I run 2 monitors ( cockpit on one monitor, shkval and abris on the other ). works fine.

and I run Vista with a single ATI 4850 card...

yeah.. it runs in windowed mode.. but you can't tell... it is full-screen ( you can't see any part of the desktop )...

the hard part is getting the lua file right....

Home built i5 quadcore. dual ATI 4850 in xfire mode. 16GB ram Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM MFD's, windows 7 64 ultimate.. 40" primary screen, 19" secondary

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, but thats not right.

I'm able to span across monitors with different native resolutions and even up scale the res in XP- That means that I run a 1600x1080 on a native 1024x768 screen.

See this video as Proof: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1627326198keXc3X?source=embed (sorry for the bad sound!)

This is two times 1680x1050 in vertical span.

Black Shark is set to 1680x2100 in the options while in full screen.

I have a 1680x1050 and a 1024x768. All I could get XP to do in span mode is 1024x768.

How can I get it to a higher res?

How can I get it to a higher res?

Ok! I will tell you a secret: (whisper)

Put a 5m cable lengthening between the monitor you want to upscale and your Graphic card.:music_whistling:

You will be very surprised what will happen in your display properties!

Cable%2520VGA.jpg

And this are not "new" news - I posted It already years ago in this forum and in several threads.- really don't know why nobody noticed it also...

Edited by urze

I added a custom res into the display properties of the Nvidia control panel for the small screen..

Much to my surprise it worked!?!? I have a very odd sized 15'' screen now. But both are claiming 1680x1050. Starting a game sticks it in the middle so you can't see everything.. Very odd!

The question is now.. Do I de-activate my Vista copy of BS and install it on XP......

Ok! I will tell you a secret: (whisper)

Put a 5m cable lengthening between the monitor you want to upscale and your Graphic card.:music_whistling:

You will be very surprised what will happen in your display properties!

This a very interesting fact. So you get upscaling with the new resolutions rather than a "windowed view"?

Is it any different to using a custom resolution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

It's a much easier configuration (similar to "plug and play"). - and you don't end screwing up your display !

I know also about setting a custom res - but it's sometimes very tricky and you could even damage you Ctr-Monitor!

That's why I didn't post/write about setting this up without a monitor lengthening.

Edited by urze

i just hope the upcoming patch for late march will address the VISTA multi monitor isssue...

With issue of vista should be fixed by ED? - sorry, but I didn't get what you mean.

Here are some facts about the engine of BS:

To make things clearer :

The engine of BS is only able to draw the game contend at one Monitor in fullscreen!

>>The monitor that appears as primary in you display options!<<

SoftTH and TH2Go help you only to spread the Images across more screens that windows (XP/Vista/Windos7) wouldn't bring together as one normally!

When you use not SoftTH or TH2GO you need vert./horiz. span (only possible in XP) to bring tow screens together - dualhead is useless in fullscreen mode!

Edited by urze

I recently read an article that it is no longer supported, because most users have 2 monitors connected and XP tries to display dialog-windows in the center of the screen, which logically with such a setup ends up the boxes seperated over 2 screens. I encountered this problem, too, with some installations, where you could not move the message box, but I don't know if it was really such an issue.

Multimonitor-Setup in Vista is therefore realized via DirectX10, apparently because it runs faster and is more easily supported in games (no need to set up ultra-ultra-wide screens) and it is also possible to span over different screens with different resolutions and orientations. Several professional programs seem to benefit from it, too.

There are a few games which support this feature (e.g. World In Conflict supports multiple monitors in DX10-Mode), but of course the engine has to be built to use it, which is definitely not the case for BS. ;)

As the next engine was announced to be non-DX10, I guess multi-monitor-users will have to stick with XP if they want to play DCSimulations or get hold on some hardware-solution like TH2G. :noexpression:

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I recently read an article that it is no longer supported, because most users have 2 monitors connected and XP tries to display dialog-windows in the center of the screen, which logically with such a setup ends up the boxes seperated over 2 screens. I encountered this problem, too, with some installations, where you could not move the message box, but I don't know if it was really such an issue.

That only a pretext that you can find in some Microfoft forums - the main thing is because of DRM!

(This is no offence to you!) Or do you really think that this helps people (research facilities/Graphic-artists/people that run two projectors/...whatever)

??!!

They simply could put this feautre back alive in VISTA/Windows7 until everyone has programs that can use the ability to do it native without the span mode.

And let the people dicide by them self to life with a popup like: "Do you really want to do close this window?" between both screens.

And BTW - there are some programs that can tell windows to show such a prompt only at a specific area!

Edited by urze

I'm working in XP now.. And full screen :) I even think my FPS is up :)

But now it draws the menu in the middle, half of which I can't see because my 1024x768 isn't displaying everything. :(

One step forward. Two back.

Can you move the menu screens to display on the left?

No - It will stay always in the middle of the screen that Windows (XP/VISTA/7) reports as primary. - AFAIK

Edit:= AsFarAsIKnow

Edited by urze

Booooo :(

Maybe my 2nd monitor idea wasn't such a great one. I now understand why people are having so much trouble.

Only other choice is to 'steal' another one that is closer to my primary res.

or get two projectors or -one of these screens:http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/products_radius320.htm

:music_whistling: - they nothing more as three screens - but as simple it looks - you have to do it first. (Btw - done it myself with two LCD-Screens. I just had to grind both panels- but brake 3 to get tow finished.)

Edited by urze

Well, multi-monitor works with Vista. I´ve got Vista 32Bit and it works on 2 monitors with the cockpit on the left and shkval/abris on the right monitor.

What you need to know: the cockpit will always be on the middle monitor.

So you´ve got to change default.cfg, for example, I´ve got 2 1280x1024, then you have to change the display size to 3840x1024 ("virtual" first monitor).

Like depicted in some other threads, change the monitorsetup luas to the values that cockpit will be shown in the middle and shkval ans abris to the right.

Important: Has to be run in windowed mode.

Yeah i got it working with windowed mode but my fps took a big hit and it is annoying with trackIR moving every time you look right, so i found it best to increase my screen res (updating my video drivers and setting priority to high or realtime gave me a 10-15 fps increase) and just use my trackIR to zoom in to the abris and skhval)

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey