How to persuade Vista32 to talk with a Gamport controler like thr MSFFB1

For all that have a game port controller and want still use it with Vista32:

My name is Daniel Kawakami.

I've managed to create a "Gameport support pack for Vista".

persuade

The pack was meant for Creative gameports, but works on any gameport, from any vendor.

It works on Windows Vista 32-bit only, also known as x86.

(...)

Here is Daniel Kawakami's tutorial and driver:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=13336&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

(scroll to the bottom to download the driver)

So get a cheap soundcard with a midi/gameport and a old,but working MSFFB1- please report! I haven't done it up to now.

Edited by urze

nice find Urze, makes me want to dust mine off.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Oh - my bad!

Go to page 7 of the thread - and you will read FFB isn't supported in a steady way but beside this the stick will work.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&thread.id=13336&view=by_date_ascending&page=7

-I use hardly Vista up to now.

Hello Daniel and others,

(In first, excuse my english, I am french)

Although not being yet under Vista, I continue to read your thread with interest and I see that you arrived at the problem most difficult to solve when one wants to use of old peripherals with gameport: the FF! In fact, you have just get over the first stage successfully (recognition of axes + buttons), cheer, but there remains other steps such as the re-assignation (remapping ?) of the keys keyboard on the buttons of the peripherals and of course the FF. All that was managed by the software delivered with the peripherals gameport but one cannot any more install them under XP (SideWinder 3.02=W98!) and Vista.

For the reassignation of the keys, I found a small utility that resolves very well the problem and that I believe will interest the most among you: Total Game Control (compatible Vista!). It is even possible, Christian, to make use the button shifter with an other button of joystick SW FF Pro. TGC is located to this address: http://www.digitaltransforms.com/

Remain the problem of FF. Under XP, to the difference of Vista, it works from time to time, but from time to time only. I have about fifteen games with FF and this one does not run perfectly that only with one game, Combat Flight Simulator 2! For 55% other games, the FF works about 1 time on 5 (it is necessary to launch several times the game for to have it) or does not function at all for the 45% of the games remaining.

Despite that, I feel nevertheless that it does not lack big thing, simply a little programming for that the FF runs perfectly. It's very frustrating. Alas, I am not programmer. In fact, the problem reduces itself to those questions: what does that the FF itself is connected or not itself is connected? And why that works with certain games and not with of others? If you could answer these questions and find a solution, you would be an ace!

Finally, would not be worth it to better to try to install under Vista or XP the drivers gameport compatible Windows 98 for our old peripherals? If our old peripherals found files like “vjoyd.vxd” and “msjstick.drv”, wouldn't they works better? It's the question which I put myself in this moment... But is it feasible?

Many thanks for your intelligent thread!!

Edited by urze