Autopilot / Stability Aug for Pitch and Roll Erratic and Makes Helicopter Unstable and Difficult to Control.

FusRoPotato

Just recently got this module so yeah, obvious first thought was that I'm not using or setting something up right, which may be, but I did just watch a cockpit.dll crash of some sort get fixed and my intuition says otherwise so I dunno...

Basically, every guide I've seen so far on this helicopter says always turn on the roll/pitch autopilot. It's the little green light all by itself in the middle of the engineering panel. However, when I do this, the pitch spazzes up and down. On top of that, the roll sometimes tries to hunt for a silly bank angle.

I've tried special options "autopilot adjustment" ticked and unticked. I've told the engineer to adjust the AP with the autopilot adjust key command. I've tried binding the autopilot adjust to a mini-stick with absolute output to see what'd happen, and also tried binding adjustment keys (without the axis) so that the dials would stay put after rotating them. I cannot figure out what any of this is suppose to do because it seems no matter what, the pitch and roll just want to do whatever they want to do. It's difficult just to fly in a straight line with any of it on.

Flying around with the AP disabled however is perfectly fine. This isn't harming my experience much because the chopper flies great without the AP and I could probably completely do without just fine.

I'm just wondering, is the stability system supposed to make the chopper more stable? Because it feels quite obvious like it'd doing the opposite.

One thing I noticed is that, if I hold down the adjustment key for roll, for a very long time (20 something revolutions), it will eventually flatten out and hold level, but the engineer won't adjust it like that.

Also, I can't get my track replays to repeat what I experienced in-game. The helicopters just crash shortly after takeoff . Wondering if it's related to what seems to be an AP malfunction or setting desync related to the crash that got fixed last patch?DarkMatter_Marianas_SandboxPvE_Endless_0.19-20230324-195448.trk

DarkMatter_Marianas_SandboxPvE_Endless_0.19-20230324-201929.trk

Small update:

Making a basic single player mission, I've been able to engage AP without any roll issues. It seems to be almost centered initially and takes very little rotation to correct for level flight. The pitch is still very bouncy when adding slight input, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. Let me know if you want track files on that but I don't think it shows anything important.

In multiplayer however, I think I am narrowing in on the roll dial somehow being many many revolutions off.

My experience after years of flying it (occasionally I admit) are opposite to yours. AP off = drunk rollercoaster ride, AP on = rock stable cruisin' around. Keep in mind AP adjustment range is very limited and can be used for final finetuning only. Initial coarse pitch&roll adjustment requires trimming A LOT.

So, when I feel like flying the Hip:

a) 1st and foremost I do use "AP adjustment" special option to let the AI engineer do the switch twisting job for me. He's always better at it that player can ever be and reduces my workload - the real thing had three men crew for a reason;

b) before liftoff I trim;

c) after liftoff and while accelerating and climbing I trim;

d) when start cruising I trim;

e) the AI guy makes final AP touches and I enjoy hands-free flight.

I don't do multiplayer, though, so I don't know if server settings forced by the admin can override player's special options of the Hip, or if MP in itself induces some controls shenanigans (?).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

11 minutes ago, Art-J said:

My experience after years of flying it (occasionally I admit) are opposite to yours. AP off = drunk rollercoaster ride, AP on = rock stable cruisin' around. Keep in mind AP adjustment range is very limited and can be used for final finetuning only. Initial coarse pitch&roll adjustment requires trimming A LOT.

So, when I feel like flying the Hip:

a) 1st and foremost I do use "AP adjustment" special option to let the AI engineer do the switch twisting job for me. He's always better at it that player can ever be and reduces my workload - the real thing had three men crew for a reason;

b) before liftoff I trim;

c) after liftoff and while accelerating and climbing I trim;

d) when start cruising I trim;

e) the AI guy makes final AP touches and I enjoy hands-free flight.

I don't do multiplayer, though, so I don't know if server settings forced by the admin can override player's special options of the Hip, or if MP in itself induces some controls shenanigans (?).

You don't do MP?! You are missing out big time

12 hours ago, Art-J said:

My experience after years of flying it (occasionally I admit) are opposite to yours. AP off = drunk rollercoaster ride, AP on = rock stable cruisin' around.

This has been the general consensus I have been observing across the internet discussing this module, so when I discovered the opposite to be true, I assumed something was wrong. I do have to trim a lot, but the chopper always has a consistent and expected reaction to stick changes. With the AP on, it often can't decide if it wants to pitch up or down, oscillates, and sometimes go as far attempting to do a loop on its own as soon as I turn it on.

10 hours ago, FusRoPotato said:

This has been the general consensus I have been observing across the internet discussing this module, so when I discovered the opposite to be true, I assumed something was wrong. I do have to trim a lot, but the chopper always has a consistent and expected reaction to stick changes. With the AP on, it often can't decide if it wants to pitch up or down, oscillates, and sometimes go as far attempting to do a loop on its own as soon as I turn it on.

What kind of controls do you have and what are your special settings?

According to your track, you are starting on the ground next to the taxiway. Try to get to flat surface, disable and then enable AP and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by admiki

@FusRoPotato That surely doesn't sound right! Some combination of game and chopper settings must be causing issues, but with unreliable replay tracks it's going to be challenging to narrow down.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.