IFF

mla306

Hi I'm playing Beware Beware, really love Reflected's campaigns, at the start of some of the missions in the briefing it says remember to turn on IFF after you take flight.  Does IFF actually work in the plane?  I switch on the 2 breakers but I don't get the sense IFF is doing anything?  I think the manual says it is not functional?

Thoughts?

On 3/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, mla306 said:

Hi I'm playing Beware Beware, really love Reflected's campaigns, at the start of some of the missions in the briefing it says remember to turn on IFF after you take flight.  Does IFF actually work in the plane?  I switch on the 2 breakers but I don't get the sense IFF is doing anything?  I think the manual says it is not functional?

Thoughts?

It is not functional in DCS. It's just the correct procedure to turn it on.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 11:18 PM, mla306 said:

Thanks guys.  It would be helpful at times if it worked....

Why? Are you being killed by own air defenses?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just now, mla306 said:

No but I have shot at my own planes a time or two!!

IFF in WW2 was more for ground units to interrogate and figure out to whom an aircraft belongs to. It was not for aircraft to interrogate other aircraft. 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, mla306 said:

No but I have shot at my own planes a time or two!!

As @razo+r already said, the IFF system in the Spitfire (and in pretty much all the other WW2 aircraft that had such a system) was not for you as the pilot to identify other aircraft, but was meant for your own air defense to identify YOU. So it would have no effect in DCS, as air defenses in DCS don't do friendly fire anyways.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

So it would have no effect in DCS, as air defenses in DCS don't do friendly fire anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, they kind of do in the V for Victory campaign, if you don't follow correct night approach procedures, but I think that a workaround was used to implement this.

2 hours ago, Hog_driver said:

If I'm not mistaken, they kind of do in the V for Victory campaign, if you don't follow correct night approach procedures, but I think that a workaround was used to implement this.

That's something custom scripted then, not something that is inherent to DCS and its simulation.

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

That's something custom scripted then, not something that is inherent to DCS and its simulation.

I'm not sure how it's implemented in the campaign, but scripts are not necessarily needed. You can set it up with triggers aswell, that if unit argument is <value> (and set that one to the ID light) then deactivate AAA or set flag or whatever.

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

I'm not sure how it's implemented in the campaign, but scripts are not necessarily needed. You can set it up with triggers aswell, that if unit argument is <value> (and set that one to the ID light) then deactivate AAA or set flag or whatever.

Of course, scripting/triggering is kinda the same for me in this regard. My bad for not expressing it more clearly. What I meant to say is, that this is not something DCS actually simulates, but it's rather a forced behaviour by the mission maker, either with triggers or scripts or a combination of both.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

27 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

What I meant to say is, that this is not something DCS actually simulates, but rather a forced behaviour by the mission maker, either with triggers or scripts or a combination of both.

Yeah, with DCS, you have to be very creative sometimes.