Supercarrier FPS drop since latest Patch 2.8.3.38090 Open Beta

Czar66
Go to solution Solved by Czar66,

I have experienced a heavy penalty in performance on carrier decks with static units after March 22nd v2.8.3.38090 patch on Single Threaded executable.

I went from cleaning up video card driver with DDU and installing the latest one, reducing graphics besides my GPU or CPU not being maxed out.

I'm running DCS with modest settings at 45 fps locked through nVidia control panel. My GPU usually ranges from 40 to 80% during gameplay.

With the latest DCS 2.8.3.38090 Open Beta patch my frames dropped from the usual 45fps fps on deck in ST, to around 17-20 fps when looking at the aircraft parked towards the tower. Where there are the most polygons shown and lower than 45fps average. After take off and into the mission, fps stabilized towards the cap of 45 I've set.

FIX: I rolled back to March 10th DCS 2.8.3.37556 Open Beta version and the fps are back into normal.

I'm running single threaded because of current MT visual glitches in the likes of units specks/dots bleeding through clouds etc...and I'm hosting co-op sessions with a friend teaching and learning air combat and situational awareness kind of deal, so immersion is key.

Graphics settings attached as image.

GPU: RTX 3060 12gb Vram. CPU: i3 10100 @4.3Ghz. System RAM: 40gb. Windows 11.
No change in the settings fixed the issue on the latest v2.8.3.38090, only the roll back to 2.8.3.37556.

I searched and have not seen any mention on performance degradation on ST (single threaded).

Screen_230324_175350.png

Edited by Czar66
Further explanation on why not using MT.
  • Like 1

Using ST version. "2.8.3 38090"

Indeed, I have just tested on the supercarrier and a strange thing is happening. After trying every hour possible to see if lighting effects were the cause of the fps drops, I concluded that was not the cause. On the deck I have constant 60fps, I roll around the deck, I taxi along the tower and no loss of fps. I take off, I land and I lose 15 to 20 fps while the lighting has not changed, nothing has changed. Would the lso note message script take a load of fps? In any case, this loss of fps is inexplicable.

Edited by Karman

Has the problem been taken into consideration by E.D? Or not yet ? It's really unplayable. The ST version suits me very well for now. It's more stable, I get good fps even on multiplayer loaded servers like "liberation". But the Fps are broken on the Supercarrier (-20 to -30 fps with bad weather). A patch would therefore be welcome. In my squadron we are 14" FA/18C using the supercarrier all the time and in its current state it is really unbearable. A version with lighter textures and lighter volumetric lighting would also be great. 2 years that the supercarrier came out and the updates are chaotic, the atc is broken in multiplayer on Case 3. In short.. Quick a patch!

Edited by Karman

Has the problem been taken into consideration by E.D? Or not yet ? It's really unplayable. The ST version suits me very well for now. It's more stable, I get good fps even on multiplayer loaded servers like "liberation". But the Fps are broken on the Supercarrier (-20 to -30 fps). A patch would therefore be welcome. In my squadron we are 14" FA/18C using the supercarrier all the time and in its current state it is really unbearable. A version with lighter textures and lighter volumetric lighting would also be great. 2 years that the supercarrier came out and the updates are chaotic, the atc is broken in multiplayer on Case 3. In short.. Quick a patch!

4 minutes ago, Karman said:

Has the problem been taken into consideration by E.D? Or not yet ? It's really unplayable. The ST version suits me very well for now. It's more stable, I get good fps even on multiplayer loaded servers like "liberation". But the Fps are broken on the Supercarrier (-20 to -30 fps). A patch would therefore be welcome. In my squadron we are 14" FA/18C using the supercarrier all the time and in its current state it is really unbearable. A version with lighter textures and lighter volumetric lighting would also be great. 2 years that the supercarrier came out and the updates are chaotic, the atc is broken in multiplayer on Case 3. In short.. Quick a patch!

Unplayable at 30fps?

I think for the vast majority the Supercarriers are NOT broken so why demand a patch just for you, whats your PC specs?

74_Fox

35 minutes ago, Karman said:

🙃 very funny..Yes indeed unplayable at 30 fps before I had constant 55 fps. Since the update it's catastrophic.

And I'm not the only one having this problem.

PC/System specs, graphics card?

Edited by IanC58
update

74_Fox

If you want I put my PC config. But before the patch I had 55fps consistently on deck of Supercarrier and after the patch I have incomprehensible drops in fps. Example I'm on the deck of Cvn72 , I spawn and I take 8fps which goes up to stagnate around 35/40fps. I taxi around the deck, I look at the tower, no fps drop. I take off, go downwind, look left and fall at 20fps. Anyway.. It's a mystery. There is another post similar to mine, a guy says he went back to the previous patch and got his fps back. Something I can't afford, I fly in a squadron and going back on an update is not very appropriate for all pilots. Maybe the bug comes from the effect of the water on the front of the boat.. I don't know.. But what is certain is that before the patch I was running stable at 55fps even with a bad weather, several players on deck and all on a Liberation campaign.  Spec: i7-8086K CPU @ 4.70GHz / 32Go Ram 3200Mhz / GTX 1080Ti ( 11go) and DCs is installed on Nvme ssd "3000Mbs"

Edited by Karman

On 3/30/2023 at 7:43 AM, IanC58 said:

Unplayable at 30fps?

I think for the vast majority the Supercarriers are NOT broken so why demand a patch just for you, whats your PC specs?

Keep in mind, we are talking about Single Treaded executable. "The vast majority" are probably running multithreaded. In Multithreaded this issue does NOT occur.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Czar66 said:

Keep in mind, we are talking about Single Treaded executable. "The vast majority" are probably running multithreaded. In Multithreaded this issue does NOT occur.

Yes, indeed in MT version, this bug does not appear. On the other hand there is still no Long Range Laser Lineup System on the back of the supercarrier. Also in my squad there are players who have quite old PC configurations and they don't have multithreading on their processor. And after several tests they have lags in MT version when the map is loaded in units and players. Some have unpleasant jerks with the ground decorations. So the ST version is broken with the supercarrier since the last patch. 

Edited by Karman

I just tested it again today.

LATEST as of 1st April DCS 2.8.3.38090 Open Beta: Locked 45 fps with lows of 17 fps looking at the stern with the tower in view. Steady low 17 to 20 fps.

Modules used:

• Super Carrier
  • DCS: F/A-18C

State of player's aircraft: Partially turned on with at least one engine running and avionics operating. It is where the FPS tanks from mid 30s to 17fps only on the carrier.

No AI flights taking off or landing on the aircraft carrier.

Multithreaded on DCS 2.8.3.38090 Open Beta is constant 45 fps with drops to 42 when panning from the bow to stern but comes back to locked 45 fps as I have set the game to be at.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am now using the MT version. 
After some adjustments and also optimizations in addition to the visual side (Increases).
I got my 60 fps back on deck. I observe a small dropout at 47 fps when I get closer to the tower and the lights are on.
The volumetric lights effects from the tower lights are definitely the cause of the fps drops.
Rain can also be a factor in losing fps, but lights seem to be the real cause.
Otherwise still no Long Range Laser Lineup System.
(The MT version seems to be the future of DCS, the ST version should definitely disappear in the future IMHO.)

33 minutes ago, Karman said:

(The MT version seems to be the future of DCS, the ST version should definitely disappear in the future IMHO.)

Yes, agree, but MT still has too many bugs as of today. Hornet Air to Ground radar GMT and SEA modes having the map mode returns, units specks bleeding through clouds (you can see every unit through clouds), low refresh rate on units movements when far off including radar dishes animations having the appearance of rubber banding/teleporting.

Until that happens, single threaded it is.

In MT, my performance is close to flawless on a deck with F-14s statics placed along with hornets, but in ST something is up with the F-14s statics. Lots of performance drops. (I keep at 40 to 45fps locked as I dislike having frame dropping so it is at a constant fps regardless, with a plus of a PC running cold).

I removed most of the statics from the Carrier deck, now having only 6 hornets and no vehicles and no Tomcats, while disabling secondary shadows regardless of GPU load (RTX 3060 12gb, running at an average of 60%) ST performance went up.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed the MT version is well provided with Bugs. I also noticed that creating a Mark point using the helmet sight works but when you do waipoint designate, the point created is not in the right place. After several tests it also seems broken. Also in Grid mod Coordinated Mgrs there is also a bug with elevation; when you enter the altitude in Ft, it is noted in meters. And when you select meter it says error in the ufc. Moreover with the supercarrier there is still no long range laser system at the back of the boat. Anyway.. This is "Open Beta" : )