AMD 6900XT Adrenaline settings - help for MultiThread?

Hey all,

My PC Specs are:  ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 5 Ghz via Ryzen Master OC / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200

Its my first AMD card and frankly I'm really unfamiliar with both Adrenaline settings and these larger GPU .... I understand there is benefit in undervolting the cards so i followed a youtube tutorial on how to set the card up for VR.  

Can i ask those of you running VR to advise if this profile looks legit or is it trash?  Would you be willing to share a profile for me to try if you think its better?  Its weird because i dont really hear the fans kick in all that often in DCS... i would think they should?

Thanks so much,

youtube amd.PNG

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I used to have the same card. How far you can go on the undervolt depends, mine hated below 1125 sadly. 

First, turn the min frequency back down to stock/700mhz. It doesn't do anything except make idle annoying.

My card would boost to 2600 so I'd set that as a good max clock.

Most games don't need any extra memory speed but going to 2150 is generally 100% stable.

5800X3D,  32GB Cas 14 DDR4 3200, 7900XTX OC, X570 Board, 1440p 165hz, TrackIR, Several 970/980 Pro SSDs. VKB Joystick, throttles, aux board, Logitech rudder pedals.

4 hours ago, dooom said:

Hey all,

My PC Specs are:  ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 5 Ghz via Ryzen Master OC / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200

Its my first AMD card and frankly I'm really unfamiliar with both Adrenaline settings and these larger GPU .... I understand there is benefit in undervolting the cards so i followed a youtube tutorial on how to set the card up for VR.  

Can i ask those of you running VR to advise if this profile looks legit or is it trash?  Would you be willing to share a profile for me to try if you think its better?  Its weird because i dont really hear the fans kick in all that often in DCS... i would think they should?

Thanks so much,

youtube amd.PNG

First thing first:

Go to your BIOS and turn on AMD SmartAccess Memory.

Check your case and CPU cooling, those cards have a thermal limit and will throttle down when they reach them, use the manual fans control curve to make sure your CPU and GPU doesn't overheat, you can set a more aggressive curve, it's easy to do and will avoid some unnecessary troubles, the cooler your case airflow, the more you can push the GPU if you boost it.

Here is my Fan Curve to give you an idea, I don't use Zero RPM.

FanCurve.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

i thought AMD smart access memory was recommended to stay off for dcs and vr?  Looking at your specs we are pretty close so yeah i guess i'll get it on.  Thanks!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

11 hours ago, dooom said:

Hey all,

Thanks so much,

youtube amd.PNG

Only setting that really makes real difference for me is Min Frequency.  All others seemed to do very little at the cost of stability.  I tried all kinds of tweaks and now I just raise the Min Frequency to 2200 and that's it.  What you have looks fine as long as you have no stability issues.

Edited by Taz1004

OK - so i'm a bit confused now... should the min freq be 2200 or 700 as @brain_delay mentions above?

1 hour ago, dooom said:

OK - so i'm a bit confused now... should the min freq be 2200 or 700 as @brain_delay mentions above?

The minimum frequency setting can be left alone to default 500, it matters little, same for Zero RPM.

Whatever you're trying to do, under-volting or O.Cing your GPU, the most important will be to make sure 1) Smart Access Memory is turned ON, 2) Your cooling is adequate.

Then run tests between each adjustments to verify stability, you can use Valley Free, consider this; every chip is different, your might run faster or slower than another strictly identical model (Silicon Lottery), so use people's settings as a basis for finding which suits your GPU.

What I have find is that those GPUs are OK being O.Ced running benchmarks but not so stable with the same settings in gaming, Drivers have played a large role on performances of the 7900 series, I got my best performances with a driver from early January and the difference can be as high as 10% in testing at 4K.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

13 hours ago, dooom said:

Raising min frequency doesn't mean your graphic card will always run at that frequency during idle or browsing.  It just prevents your frequency from dropping below that under 3D load only.  I've had DCS drop in frequency and cause stutter.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my current settings. I fly in VR with a Reverb G2 and a 5800x CPU along with this 6900xt. Major points:

1. I don't need 100% fans to keep GPU cool enough. 75% keeps the hotspot temp below 95C. Note the card is good to 110C so this is well within acceptable limits and keeps the noise reasonable.

2. The card runs hotter if I move the min freq higher without any noticable improvement in performance, so I leave it at default 500.

3. Increase the max frequency although anything over 2650 doesn't have an impact as the card can't get enough power to hit higher speeds. Note you can increase the power limit of the card using MorePower Tool but it has very little impact on actual performance so I don't use it any more.

4. Lowering the voltage too much causes stability issues. I find 1140 works for me.

5. Upping the memory speed too high causes stability issues so just increase it a reasonable amount.

6. I tested with smart access memory on and off and don't see a difference, so I leave it on.

Good luck. I like this GPU a lot. It performs great at a reasonable cost compared to Nvidia solutions.

6900xt settings.png

Edited by regulus6633

thanks ^^ What do you think about my VRAM Tuning ... I dont really understand much on what or if i should touch that.  I have it at 2020MHz as per the video i watched but see yours at 2110.  Anything there i should be cognizant of?