F-14A/B Flight Model Tuning - Guided Discussion

IronMike

LET'S TURN AND BURN

Update_Divisor_F-14_Firing.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Currently, the Heatblur team is undertaking a large effort to refine and finalise the flight modelling of the F-14 Tomcat. In the previous update, the changes delivered were exclusively for the F-14A; the TF-30 powered version of the aircraft. The overall goal of this tuning pass was to even more closely match published performance data and ensure that the F-14A performs as it did in reality. The Heatblur F-14A is now even more accurate in how it maintains energy states across the whole flight envelope, meaning more accurate performance while manoeuvring.

Further refinements include an overhaul of some of the intrinsic behaviour of the aircraft, such as wing rock. Wing rock in the Tomcat is now more pronounced and accurate to reality, and associated buffeting has also been improved to be more in tune with the real aircraft.

The flight modelling refinements for the F-14A are now practically complete and the team is focusing on the F-14B, the F110 engine powered variant of the Tomcat.

We thus figured we’d write-up a full and detailed breakdown of the latest DCS: F-14 flight modelling changes, our assumptions, methodologies and some of the theory behind the why and how.

F-14 Flight Model Tuning - Part I - click to read. We hope you enjoy!

full link:
https://heatblur.se/fmupdate/

We love to share and learn together as a community and enthusiasts, and considering these changes impact the way you fly and fight the F-14; why not have you be part of this last step of our development journey. We’ve spent a considerable amount of time recently perfecting and tuning the last parts of the flight model for our F-14. As mentioned above, we’ve focused entirely on the F-14A first; the TF-30 powered version of the aircraft. To give you a better overview of the how and why, let’s do a quick deep dive and give you some background (pls follow the link above).

Hero2.png

F-14 Flight Model Future

With this process nearing completion, the F-14A flight model is nearly in a fully finished state. The journey has been long, initially focusing on handling qualities with our very dedicated pilot SME, Victory205. We wanted to get those out of the way first to make sure handling was correct, with extra time spent focusing on handling qualities around the boat to ensure a very authentic carrier trapping experience. In the near future we will update the following FM items:

• AOA buffet update to be more realistic (new checkbox option) - will be included in  DCS Patch April 13th 2023
  • Finish performance tuning for F-14B - will be included in  DCS Patch April 13th 2023
  • Improve ground handling
  • Misc minor handling qualities and performance updates as needed

Of course the biggest of the items above is to finish a similar pass to the above for the F-14B; also fine-tuning the performance to perfectly match the available data and plots. We’ll chime in with another flight modelling update focusing on the F-14B results once we’re ready!

If you have questions or just want to leave your feedback or else discuss the new performance and FM changes, feel free to discuss here. As always, we're looking forward to your input!

Thanks for reading, and for your support – we hope you enjoy this deep dive, especially as a precursor to similar articles for the DCS: F-4E, DCS: A-6E and Eurofighter aircraft.

Sincerely,

Team Heatblur

EDIT April 13th, 2023:

- Adding Performance and FM Changes to F-14B, inlcuding level flight acceleration, turn performance and top speed and access power across the flight envelope.

burble.jpg

Feel free to also join the official Heatblur Simulations Discord and discuss with us there: https://discord.gg/heatblur-simulations 

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 7

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Very impressive, thank you! 🤩

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

39 minutes ago, Skarp said:

Does this mean the stores drag in the engine wells are fixed in the F14A?

The stores drag has been fixed indeed, it needed to happen before the FM could be tuned. 🙂

Stores drag was tuned by type and station and it generally correlates to the drag index data in NATOPS.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

We thus figured we’d write-up a full and detailed breakdown of the latest DCS: F-14 flight modelling changes, our assumptions, methodologies and some of the theory behind the why and how.

This report is really impressive and I think it should be digested slowly, at least for me. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to trying these FM refinements with the F-14B as well.

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

We wanted to get those out of the way first to make sure handling was correct, with extra time spent focusing on handling qualities around the boat to ensure a very authentic carrier trapping experience.

This's particularly interesting to me. I bought F-14 at the end of January and I haven't stopped flying it since. But I noticed that the bolter percentage is much higher than with FA-18C. Still, I'm thrilled with this aircraft. Excellent work. I will look forward to these future updates as well.

• Like 1

Oooo fancy new website.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

AOA buffet update to be more realistic (new checkbox option)

I can only assume what can it be but... thank you :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, Skarp said:

Does this mean the stores drag in the engine wells are fixed in the F14A?

The stores drag was adjusted a while ago using drag index data from the F-14 NATOPS. We obviously couldn't adjust the actual drag of the missiles or else it would affect the missile performance, but we found a way to adjust individual stores drag while they're attached based on the station where they're mounted. The recessed Sparrows have the least drag while attached to the aircraft.

• Like 4

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

2 hours ago, fat creason said:

The stores drag was adjusted a while ago using drag index data from the F-14 NATOPS. We obviously couldn't adjust the actual drag of the missiles or else it would affect the missile performance, but we found a way to adjust individual stores drag while they're attached based on the station where they're mounted. The recessed Sparrows have the least drag while attached to the aircraft.

Awesome ! Can’t wait for the B update too.

The reduction in stores drag has been great. The F-14A can really get to speed with phoenixes now. From deck to 45k feet m1.4 in four and a half minutes, with 2/2/2 or 6 minutes with 4/2/2 and bags 

Before you'd struggle to break the sound barrier

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Panny said:

The reduction in stores drag has been great. The F-14A can really get to speed with phoenixes now. From deck to 45k feet m1.4 in four and a half minutes, with 2/2/2 or 6 minutes with 4/2/2 and bags 

Before you'd struggle to break the sound barrier

This is because of the flight model tuning, the stores drag has been unchanged for a fairly long time.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

20 hours ago, fat creason said:

It's going to be more like a step function than the linear increase we have now.

And the checkbox means its optional? Like DCS burble is?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

19 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

Like DCS burble is?

Tomcat has its own burble and wake turbulence always on afaik.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 4/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, draconus said:

Tomcat has its own burble and wake turbulence always on afaik.

Yep, but i was referring to the checkbox 🙂
As in, is it optional or not  (DCS burble is) ?

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

6 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

DCS burble is

It isn't (for Tomcat) - I was refering to that.

35 minutes ago, JCTherik said:

Tomcat burble is always on?!?

Tomcat has its own burble and wake turbulence always on - HB advises to turn off DCS wake turbulence option when flying Tomcat.