Losing Power while Hovering

Chillspider

The situation is clear nice weather i take off from airfield and hover at altitude of like 50. And i frequently get a problem where i cant climb and it does it from then on when im flying i included screenshot of the lights that come on when this happens it say RH and LH power set LIM. ive had other flights where this never happens when im hovering and climb. I didnt make and aggressive stops or anything i tried this right after take off and entered hover and after a couple mins this happens and yes i have the throttles set right .

attachment.php?attachmentid=24662&d=1233871732

ScreenShot_014.thumb.jpg.79d72ce8ded2ac779c3430b33d352001.jpg

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I observe that the dust protection system is engaged.

You do realize that it takes something like 100hp from the engines?

If you add a full load, the shark may not be able to hover.

"Never interrupt you enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte

i thought it was supposed to be on unless in cold switch to the heater. And the combat load was 12 Vikhr and 2 rocket pods

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not sure what auto throttle is but ill find the Baro and fuel was full load like 700 pounds in forward and 700 in aft .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your throttles are on the right hand side, down low - a pair of yellow handles. You can move them up and down using the PgUp and PgDown keys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

And the combat load was 12 Vikhr and 2 rocket pods

A.K.A. a full load.:music_whistling:

i thought it was supposed to be on unless in cold switch to the heater.

Dust protection is for when you're kicking up dust (landing/flying low).

Anti-Ice is for when you're flying high or in winter environment.

If you're not doing neither, leave it on neutral so the engines can work exclusively to keep you in the air. :thumbup:

And like GGTharos said, barometric altitude is also a factor, so you should check it. The higher you are the less lift you get from the blades.

"Never interrupt you enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte

OK auto throttle is set i didnt realize thats what that was and fuel was 700 KG not pounds in both forward and aft all ALTITUDE readins are reading 30. ROTOR RPM WARNING LIGHT comes on along with those two lights. power set lim. I moved the little yellow bug on the radar alt guage and turned off the dust protector and it did help but it does come back

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok ill use the dust protector more wisely .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want you to check the altitude reading on the baro gauge. Take a screen of it. If your RPM warning is coming up it sounds to me like you're hovering at too high an altitude (and thus requiring too much collective and too much power to stay in the hover) which can result in the engines shutting down due to overtemps. Keep an eye on the EGT gauges for this - I'm only guessing here.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I find that if you ram the collective all the way up the warning lights will light up and you will get beeping warnings, your collective isnt at max is it ? and if so have you tried to slowly reduce it until the lights go out and then try to climb, saying that, as stated dust and ice protection does limit you to less engine power.

To make sure your throttles are set correctly, when ingame, push page down a few times to make sure the throttle is at its idle setting and then push page up twice and that will put the throttles into auto mode and then you have one more page up mode which will give max power but thats for very short periods of time, best to have throttles set at auto, thats about it from me, especially if your only at a height of 50m/ft as you should easily be able to climb from their without those warnings unless its a bug or if you havent got the correct throttle settings and even then you can still take off and climb with throttles at idle.

I never have my collective full up as it always gives that warning, only in emergency will i pull the collective full up and then seconds later put it back down to say half or so, collective full up will always bring those LIM lights on and limit your lifting capability.

Edited by bumfire

is the baro gauge the Radar Altimeter or somewhere close. I usually just watch altitude in the HUD and i tested this a low altitudes after taking off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

no its barely half way keeping VSI at 0 and when i pull up on the collective a litte thats when i get this problem

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

track is not saving i checked both temp folders so i recorded with fraps and i zoomed in on all gauges before and during the problem uploading to youtube be couple mins

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hovering out of ground effect is probably most power demanding situation for a helicopter. You are standing in your own turbulant air. The helicopter is actually the only thing in the world that uses less power when going faster up to a certain point off course, because then the drag increase overcomes the benefit of getting clean air into the rotor system when going forward. On the helicopters I know of, the speed which requires least amount of power is around 53 knots.

Having not played Black Shark, I figure from reading the thread that throttle is set in auto which is usually then normal setting (one less thing to worry about aswell :)). My guess is that you are trying to pull more power than the engine can provide, so the engine RPM cannot keep up, so either it warns you or it starts to drop, or maybe both. I doubt manual throttle will help, because helicopter engines needs to operate within strict and narrow powerband, and the auto throttle will give you what's available.

Also wind plays apart here. Not sure how 2 main rotor helicopters work, but usually tail wind is bad. Crosswind which requires more pedal=need for more power. Do you use alot of pedal when warning comes on??

Is see you mention anti dust and anti ice. I would assume anti= less air to the engine = less power. Anti ice means hot air = less power.

Remeber hot, high and heavy is bad.

Cheers

The helicopter is actually the only thing in the world that uses less power when going faster up to a certain point off course, because then the drag increase overcomes the benefit of getting clean air into the rotor system when going forward.

Not true, this happens in fixed wing AC as well, although for different reasons (induced drag).

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Not true, this happens in fixed wing AC as well, although for different reasons (induced drag).

An old Vietnam Veteran told me that and it mades sense :huh:

Anyways come to think of it, I assume you use more power then slow and close to stall because of less efficent lift on wings, and then less speed up from there, up to a point where drag increases?

Anyways come to think of it, I assume you use more power then slow and close to stall because of less efficent lift on wings, and then less speed up from there, up to a point where drag increases?

AFAIK more or less correct.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

when the hover mode is engaged within parameters and with a radar altimeter controlling collective, the helo should not sink in a hover, which it does with regularity.

Ive read the arguments that try to support this and I say no, the helo should be able to support itself in flight when collective is set within parameters (and it was... helo did not sink until hover mode was engaged).

I do work to try and stop this by perfecting technique, but collective AP function, when within the hover mode, is too sensitive and needs a wider operating range to stop the sinking.

if that is the way the real helo works, fine. I can see why they discontinued it.

just my 2 cents...