MB-339 Over-G and Structural Failure

Igor4U

I've flown the following Scenario about a Dozen Times in the last 24 hours.    

MB-339 - Instant Action - Nevada - BFM Training (Caution: you're fighting an F-5 who thinks "The Hell with Training, I'm going Live Gun")

In most engagements, I end up Over-G-ing the Aircraft and ripping a Wing Off (have to get my 'Wing Off' Check-List Out).    Even the AI F-5 Over-G-ed and Crashed - "Oh Well - A Kills a Kill" !

But upon closer inspection (using Watch Track) I captured the Moment of Structural Failure approaching 8.5 G's.   Yes - technically that is an Over-G being the Aircraft's Normal G-Limit is stressed to 7.33 G's (that's pretty much the engineering standard for Western 3rd Generation Fighters).

But in almost all cases - the Ultimate Load Factor (Structural Failure Point) is 1.5 Times the G-Limit quoted as the Operational Limit.    A Well-Maintained and Inspected Aircraft should have plenty of Buffer (Margin of Error) above the stated G-Ops Limit.

There is No Way the MB-339 should be Failing at just over 8 G's - The Ultimate Load where Failure could occur is about +11 G's.

Yes - I Know - 'My BAD' for the Over-G.   But - To the Fine Developers (IndiaFoxtEcho) of the MB-339 - maybe you can Tweak this Behavior (unless it's Realistic - Which I doubt it is)  - so I can take that F-5 One-Circle, and not only Win the Fight - but 'Win the Debrief" !

TANKs !

REFERENCE:

Ultimate Load
https://skybrary.aero/articles/ultimate-load#:~:text=The Ultimate Load is the,CS 25.305 and Section 25.305).

The Ultimate Load is the Limit Load multiplied by a prescribed Safety Factor of 1.5. 

Limit and Ultimate Loads
https://www.stressebook.com/limit-and-ultimate-loads/

This ultimate load safety factor is generally assumed to be 1.5 times the limit load.

MB-339 Over-G.jpg

MB-339 Structural Limits.jpg

• Like 1

I will add a comment, (I'm not associated with the 399) but in my previous testing I encountered this issue, but ultimately did not bring it up because after looking at the manual and accounting for tip tanks (removing them) I found it to have a significant safety margin. 

I do not recall the specifics, but at around 50% fuel and without tip tanks I could exceed 9 g's. Possibly higher than 10 for differing periods of time. But adding fuel, tip tanks, or weapons will rapidly decrease the allowable critical wing loading before failure. Though with pylons, tip tanks or similar additional loading, the safety margin that was originally there rapidly decreases. 

• Like 3

I really really really hope the devs will solve this issue because doing BFM is painful, and i'm so sad to tell this because this could be so much fun, it's by far the most powerful trainer for BFM but one little "mistake" and you're done, without any warning.

Unfortunally DCS lack of consistency because there are many external developers and everyone choose their way to do the modules, this is a perfect example of non-consistency: MB.339 rip its wings at 8,5g and a F-5 can do 10-11g.

• 1 month later...