Aircraft markings after latest uppdate.

Jsood
Go to solution Solved by DGambo,

On 4/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, GumidekCZ said:

I have already made corrections to my all 62 user skins, was not an easy taks from start without any help from ED side. But I did it 😛 even for same Campain skins like Raven One:

So what did you do?

22 hours ago, Jeepyb said:

Can ED confirm that this will be fixed or do we seriously have to start modifying every skin ever created ?

ED will probably only adjust their liveries. This description.lua change is a good one since the old one was a complete mess. Livery makers will have to fix their liveries. This is just a part of EA and not the first time it happens.

Edited by BarTzi

I think I have an elegant workaround. Clear the "Tail #" field and instead of a number or numbers write a letter, but which has no numerical equivalent. For example, I put the letter "L" and I think everything is fine. I tested it before this message and it works. Good luck and happy flights!

I honestly don't expect this to be "fixed" by ED. Looking and description.lua files it seems it is not a mistake, but rather a new method. I mean, the change in the file structure must have been accompanied by the code side of things. It does not look like a "let's fix a typo in the line of code". Changing the lua files for skins is actually not that hard. It might prove time consuming to some, but its something that we can fix ourselves. 

I posted my "solution" here is anyone's interested:

Edited by Gierasimov
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

4 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

What does the word "admitted" mean to you? Because the ED team has marked the bug as admitted. So I don't know why there are still users trying to do a job that doesn't belong to them.

Where do you see it as admitted? 

Do you mean acknowledged?

Still waiting on a update on this but who knows when

Nobody should have to go into a .lua and change it some people might either not want to because they don't understand what to change and stuff no matter how easy it is. Also changing it could also cause problems if they do fix it since they "Acknowledged" this as a problem

Edited by iQyThradz3137i
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is not a bug. Just saying.

Quick look at the Hornet as an example. ALL default skins that were included in the module work fine. 

So, ED changed the way how liveries work (by changing description.lua and under the hood code) AND they ensured that default liveries work as well, which means it is not 'by mistake'. 

Word 'acknowledged' tagged to this thread simply means that ED is aware of what was posted, which might as well as might not mean that they are going to 'fix' it. 

In the past we had several examples of ED backing out or partially reverting changes that were not that good, but this one, well, it makes controlling the liveries much easier with much less lines to write in Lua to have the livery working exactly as needed, so to me this is welcomed change and I like it, just don't really liked the way how it was introduced out of the sudden without anything being said, commented or explained... However this style is also known.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

27 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

Well, this is not a bug. Just saying.

Quick look at the Hornet as an example. ALL default skins that were included in the module work fine. 

So, ED changed the way how liveries work (by changing description.lua and under the hood code) AND they ensured that default liveries work as well, which means it is not 'by mistake'. 

Word 'acknowledged' tagged to this thread simply means that ED is aware of what was posted, which might as well as might not mean that they are going to 'fix' it. 

In the past we had several examples of ED backing out or partially reverting changes that were not that good, but this one, well, it makes controlling the liveries much easier with much less lines to write in Lua to have the livery working exactly as needed, so to me this is welcomed change and I like it, just don't really liked the way how it was introduced out of the sudden without anything being said, commented or explained... However this style is also known.

On the Discord BigNewy told people not to change anything they are working on a fix. Not everyone wants to start touching files. Something like this is not even in the Update log or anything. 

Edited by iQyThradz3137i
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

I disagree. There are official skins that display numbers on parts of the fuselage that are not meant to be displayed. It is an obvious error and I repeat that it is recognized by the ED team.

Here are official skins affected by this change. They all show numbering in the wrong places.

Australia.
Finland.
Canada.
Spain.
Switzerland.

You can't say that something that causes a texture to display incorrectly isn't a bug.

Bug Hornet Texture.png

It has been acknowledged by the team. Also if you search on there Official Discord Server. BigNewy tells people not to change anything they are working on a fix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, iQyThradz3137i said:

It has been acknowledged by the team. Also if you search on there Official Discord Server. BigNewy tells people not to change anything they are working on a fix. 

I was away from Discord recently. If they are working on a fix then that's that. I fixed my skins, I get to take nice screenshots. 

Cool.

A temporary fix is to add this to the end of each livery's discription.lua file.

custom_args =
{
[27] = 1.0,
[1000] = 1.0,
[1001] = 1.0,
[1002] = 1.0,
[1003] = 1.0,
[1004] = 1.0,
[1005] = 1.0,

}

I've only tried this for my custom liveries, so not sure how it will affect the default liveries. Each arg controls a set of numbers. For example arg 27 controls the fintip numbers. viewing the FA-18C in the MDLViewer will tell you which arg controls which  number set.  Hope this helps.

When ED fixes this squawk, it's a simple matter to just delete these lines from each discription.lua file.

Edited by SKYPORK
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

I gave it a try but it didn't work for me on default skins.

Setting the argument to 1.0 turns that layer off, set the ones you want to 0.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

On 4/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

the team are aware and will look into it. 

thank you for bringing it to our attention. 

those issues have been in existence since OB release years ago...at least the double/triple BORT numbers...

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

21 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

I'm not sure but I think this bug has already been fixed. If so it should be marked as fixed because today I lost over ten custom units trying to apply changes. All advice on temporary mods should be overridden if there is already an official fix.

Did u get a update to fix this?

I didnt get one. Also change log does not show it

Edited by iQyThradz3137i

On 5/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Atazar SPN said:

If ED didn't make any changes in the last few days, then the problem was on my side. Delete (all liveries) now displays skins correctly. If the fault was on my part I have to apologize.

Doubt its on your part. I noticed a fix above that if you pick the BA jet and go back to the other ones its fixed.

I really hope this is patched soon or at least a update.

Edited by iQyThradz3137i

Part of that is how DCS handles livery arguments. If you pick a livery that has an argument set to a specific value, any livery picked after it that doesn't have that same argument defined in its description.lua will use the last known value.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team
  • Solution

new_description.jpg

• Thanks 4

" Умное выражение лица - это еще не признак ума. Все глупости на Земле делаются именно с этим выражением лица..."

• 3 weeks later...

Even with Tail number in the Mission editor set to nothing I still get Tail numbers showing in game. They dont show in the loadout screens though. Is there a way to stop this happening. OB (MT)

Hornetnumbers-bug.jpg

Edited by IvanK

On 5/15/2023 at 5:24 AM, DGambo said:

new_description.jpg

Couldn't you update this so it defaults to off rather to on? Then nobody would have modexes plastered everywhere unless they explicitly set it on.

Also seems a bit weird that 1 is off and 0 is on as well, that's typically the reverse for most programming standards.

• Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.