Refund Request

womble

Personally I would prefer English with a Russian accent in the campaign and other areas. The subtitles are very hard for me to see in time at 2560x1600 resolution. However, I'm sure someone is already looking at modding English in anyway and for me this is not even remotely a game breaking issue.

I do think that if Womble feels strongly enough that he wants his money back then his argument that the campaign isn't spoken in English is FAIRLY reasonable because ED (AFAIK) don't mention subtitled English for the English version. Whilst the argument that some films have subtitled speech (as Mbot mentions) they are mainly in English.. Films where the majority is subtitled would mention it on the DVD box to warn potential buyers who don't like subtitles.

Overall.. well I think you are wrong to dismiss the best simulation of a helicopter that has been released to the general public.. ever.. because of the lack of English speech for the missions.. but each to their own.

As far as i'm aware , most of the English version is in English with a russian accent . Only the irrelevant stuff is in russian . Only a couple of days in you've not even made a chip in the ice yet . Its your choice but there is much more to this sim than the subtitles . IL 2 comes with subtitles and what a great game/sim that is .

But as others have said , its your choice , and good luck .

Back to RTFM :joystick:

world-according-to-america.png

:doh:

• Like 4

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

ooo Too Cool, what do u use the saitek throttle quadrant for? engine throttle levers? hadn't thought of plugging it in for BS...i like that idea...i like it a lot

edit: and why are my replies always half a page long, even though theres 2 lines of text?

Films where the majority is subtitled would mention it on the DVD box to warn potential buyers who don't like subtitles.

To be honest I have never ever seen a DVD box that warns you that a few minor bits will require you to read a few lines of text. Neither do they warn you that movie X might have a few scenes set in russia where road signs for authenticity and immersion are in proper Russian with Cyrillic letters and that you will therefore not immediately understand.

Granted, there are a few occassions in the Deployment campaign where semi-relevant information is divulged during the mission in russian with subtitles - but I have only run into a single occassion where it is in any way mission critical.

Thirdly, does anyone have a bleeding heart for those players who live in countries without a massively extensive english education programme, such as like the majority of the world? We all know quite a few users of this forum are limited to a somewhat rudimentary understanding of english, but somehow this does not seem to deplete their ability to fully enjoy the game.

So while I can understand some amount of frustration at having to catch subtitles (I get hit by that too sometimes since my Russian is quite limited - enough to survive in russian hotels and restaurants and to tell clients that their equipment is "Nieto Charashov! Balshoi Katastrof!", which is embarrasing since their equipment is usually imported from my country...), I do think that it is a bit of over-reaction.

Though it is ALSO an over-reaction to paste a derogatory picture against Americans, however alarming some of the educational statistics coming out of there is (like 55% of College Graduates surveyed by federal authorities being able to answer correctly to the question "how long does it take for the earth to go around the sun once?"), since I do not believe it is made clear that he is american or that his problem stems from the fact that he may be american. (Remember, the United States is probably the most multi-lingual country in the western world.)

Please guys, just because someone makes a statement that you think is silly, don't bring forth prejudices however funny and classic the graphics associated is. Those fit humour threads, not serious ones.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Though it is ALSO an over-reaction to paste a derogatory picture against Americans, however alarming some of the educational statistics coming out of there is (like 55% of College Graduates surveyed by federal authorities being able to answer correctly to the question "how long does it take for the earth to go around the sun once?"), since I do not believe it is made clear that he is american or that his problem stems from the fact that he may be american. (Remember, the United States is probably the most multi-lingual country in the western world.)

Please guys, just because someone makes a statement that you think is silly, don't bring forth prejudices however funny and classic the graphics associated is. Those fit humour threads, not serious ones.

+1

One word would have covered it, but let's not mention that trigger word shall we.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ooo Too Cool, what do u use the saitek throttle quadrant for? engine throttle levers? hadn't thought of plugging it in for BS...i like that idea...i like it a lot

edit: and why are my replies always half a page long, even though theres 2 lines of text?

It's for throttle levers but I rarely use it.

But positioning of buttons quite goes well with Targeting Mode Controls Panel so I use them for it, very effective.

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

Thread like this does make me feel a bit lucky tho. Being Swedish some of you may know I have had a relatively easy way into English (we get english as a main subject from 4th grade through 11th, though I continued through to 12th personally) AND at least one more language from 7th through 11th. Some professional history of travelling after that and I have four languages and the survival tidbits of a few more, along with a passion for figuring out the relationships between the languages. (The ungodly mix known as Dutch being a personal favourite. :D )

Err, do I also need to welcome this thread to Cuba soon? I hope so, 'cause I haven't had a cigar in ages.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To be honest I have never ever seen a DVD box that warns you that a few minor bits will require you to read a few lines of text. Neither do they warn you that movie X might have a few scenes set in russia where road signs for authenticity and immersion are in proper Russian with Cyrillic letters and that you will therefore not immediately understand.

Granted, there are a few occassions in the Deployment campaign where semi-relevant information is divulged during the mission in russian with subtitles - but I have only run into a single occassion where it is in any way mission critical.

Thirdly, does anyone have a bleeding heart for those players who live in countries without a massively extensive english education programme, such as like the majority of the world? We all know quite a few users of this forum are limited to a somewhat rudimentary understanding of english, but somehow this does not seem to deplete their ability to fully enjoy the game.

So while I can understand some amount of frustration at having to catch subtitles (I get hit by that too sometimes since my Russian is quite limited - enough to survive in russian hotels and restaurants and to tell clients that their equipment is "Nieto Charashov! Balshoi Katastrof!", which is embarrasing since their equipment is usually imported from my country...), I do think that it is a bit of over-reaction.

I can't comment about DVD's in Sweden but UK DVD's do say whether they have subtitles or not.. That said films at the cinema don't give you prior warning and overall I agree with the majority of the rest of your comments.

I don't think you should take the odd bit of humour in a serious thread so seriously .. now that sounds rather odd! Whilst the picture is derogatory it is humour as you obviously recognise, not some racist insult.

world-according-to-america.png

:doh:

Dude...you got it all wrong! You make it much too complex. Take it from a real red-blooded AMERICAN male.

The world is organized as follows:

1. The US of A!

2. ROTW (a.k.a. everyone else)

Fix your map! I can let you borrow the one they passed out to us in grade school if you like.

Well, you DID make the immadiate connection to "American" due to that stuff. :P

And yes, Swedish DVD boxes tell you what subtitles they have, but this is the subtitles you have as an option for the entire movie, not the cases where a total of 50 words in a 2 hour movie are subtitled outside of that standard system due to the producers deciding to use the "real" language for immersive or theatrical reasons.

(And hell, in f.ex Memoirs of a Geisha there's passsages of the movie where they speak Japanese without subtitles at all!)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Womble I'll give you $30.00 for your copy of this fantastic game. Iget a deal, and i can give a copy to my buddy so i have an online wing-man to fly with..

whattya think?

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

I did say where the majority is subtitled EtherealN.

The majority of Black Shark is not subtitled.

As for being "slightly" misleading, I do not agree, but such is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Who puts a refund request in a forum post. That is more like looking for attention than anything. Contacting the Publisher is clearly the right way to go. Your opinion is valid but your methods are not. You could bring up the issue in the forum but why would you put the request here.

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be fair, people are getting used to handling things via forums since it is a superior venue for technical assistance.

But refund claims clearly should be headed to a sales department, yes, but we don't need to assume attention whoring. (Not saying you did though, since you did put a proper qualifier in there.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The majority of Black Shark is not subtitled.

As for being "slightly" misleading, I do not agree, but such is life.

If you are right then I stand corrected. I realise that wingman/tower and other speech is English but all of the campaign so far has been Russian speech.. I therefore would/had assumed that the bulk is subtitled.

If you are correct with the majority not being subtitled then I would agree that the description "English version" is not misleading!

No, only the Deployment campaign has russian speech.

This is due to the fact that in the original russian release the Deployment campaign was the only one there. The Georgian Oil War was made in the interim and first released with the English version. (Though it is available for users of the Russian version.)

(Also, I would personally suspect that one of the reasons why there weren't new audio made for the Deployment campaign before the english release was that we were all shouting and going "rabble rabble" about the russians getting it ahead of us. :P )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No, only the Deployment campaign has russian speech.

This is due to the fact that in the original russian release the Deployment campaign was the only one there. The Georgian Oil War was made in the interim and first released with the English version. (Though it is available for users of the Russian version.)

!!!!!!!! :doh:

I have only been playing the deployment campaign and am no further than maybe 5 missions in.

I stand corrected and am VERY pleased to do so. :thumbup:

Tip tho: don't rush into the Georgian Oil War. Early missions in it strike me as simple enough, but that is in my estimation mainly due to the fact that the Deployment campaign REALLY teaches you what your chopper can do and that you need to keep your eyes well open.

When you suddenly realize that you are instinctively checking out treelines and modifying your flight direction to mask yourself with the terrains, you'll be so much more prepared to deal with quick decisions in a high threat Russia-vs-Nato style engagement - including the wildly debated lack of RWR. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester