Is Auto delivery from level flight the most accurate method for dumb bombs now?

oldcrusty

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

What's the reason for for using dumb bombs in CCRP? Do they work better than guided bombs?

For delivery of high drag ordinance under strong cross winds I can see AUTO becoming more appropriate, since CCIP pipper will probably offset in excess, maybe out of HUD FoV, making aiming kinda funky

There is also another reason why using AUTO in the current version of OB gives us advantage over CCIP, TD box on the target. Some time ago, we had an option to use CCIP over ground designations... very useful feature. The guns in CCIP mode can still be used on designated targets. Some people claimed that this can't be done in RW Hornet... for whatever weird reason.

Having an option to switch to CCIP and still have a TD box visible was a tremendous help with SA.  Why would I want to switch?  Simple... AUTO mode was and still is causing short hits when diving. In CCIP I could press the pickle just right to compensate... As mentioned earlier, we do what we have to do to go around bugs.  Now, at least in my tests, the level release is the winner (AUTO or CCIP) hence the title of this thread. Well, we're way beyond that, which is fine. 😜

A few OB builds ago, lofting in AUTO was the most accurate for me (at around 500kts). I liked it since I was able to sneak in and throw the bombs up at the target and drop down again quickly. 

ED makes these discrete changes without any notice and we have to play test pilots to find out.

5 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Out of curiosity. Does this all apply to the Hog too?

I don't know. I haven't flown the Hog in years, stubbornly sticking to Hornets. I might fire it up some day... gonna have to configure the controls again, from scratch. 

Am 23.5.2023 um 18:19 schrieb BuzzU:

What's the reason for for using dumb bombs in CCRP? Do they work better than guided bombs?

Probably limited supply of guided weapons? Desert Storm was the first war they used guided weapons on a large scale, but even then there was like 90% dumb bombs IIRC.

11 hours ago, Temetre said:

Probably limited supply of guided weapons? Desert Storm was the first war they used guided weapons on a large scale, but even then there was like 90% dumb bombs IIRC.

Yes, I understand in real life. I was asking about in DCS.

Lets forget supply for a minute and answer a simple question. What works better in CCRP. Dumb or guided bombs?

Second question. Dumb bombs were always more accurate in CCIP than CCRP. Why are has that changed?

Buzz

vor 12 Minuten schrieb BuzzU:

Yes, I understand in real life. I was asking about in DCS.

Lets forget supply for a minute and answer a simple question. What works better in CCRP. Dumb or guided bombs?

Oh my bad then!

If you have a pre-designated target, then guided bombs should always be better, assuming they arent faulty, got correctly aligned and dont get spoofed (eg "fake GPS" signals). The INS/GPS guided JDAMs lose accuracy on greater ranges, but AFAIK it should be much less than dumb bombs at any range.

vor 12 Minuten schrieb BuzzU:

Second question. Dumb bombs were always more accurate in CCIP than CCRP. Why are has that changed?

Was that ever a thing? CCRP should be more accurate, because the computer finds the perfect time to release bombs, while CCIP relies on human reaction time and hand/eye coordination.

Now, the computer can be off, but both systems rely on the computer to make a targeting solution anyway. So CCRP is better because it limits the human factor.

Edited by Temetre

6 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Thanks for the answer.

I guess i'll have to do some testing in all conditions to convince me.

OK BuzzU, we are all going in circles here, lol.  I was never comparing accuracy of AUTO mode (Hornet term) vs. CCIP.  I simply stated that using CCIP gave me an option to use my clumsy, fat thumb to release the bombs a split second late, in 30~40 deg dive. This way, instead of hitting short, I was correcting for inaccuracies of AUTO release cue computations (DCS thing).

All systems aligned, GPS autocorrected (always on), AGR or FLIR ranging. 

Again, releasing the bombs from a LEVEL flight using AUTO mode, produces no error. Just about all hits dead on.  I have no idea why the Hornet's computer can't do the same for dive or loft attacks.  If the bombs get effected by the release angle, the computer should know that.

Well BuzzU, the testing is on you now... take as long as you need to.  My DCS install has to go TDY for a little while. I'll be checking the forum.

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

Try switching the position-keeping mode on the HSI from POS/AINS to POS/GPS, see if there's any noticeable difference.

I actually did some of the test runs within seconds of each other:  say, level run at 4k ft AGL, 480kts, followed by a quick climbing turn in the oblique, back toward the target, rolling out on a 40 deg dive, release at 4k AGL, 500kts (on rails).  FLIR ranging in level, AGR in a dive.  If any gyros were out of whack, it would be obvious in both drops.

So, you don't see any issue with this on your rig, Tholozor?

30/30 Pop Up attacks are effective for me.

And you can use CCRP/CCCIP.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.