Normandy 2.0 FAQ **Updated**

NineLine

• ED Team

DCS: Normandy 2.0 Update FAQ

When will it be released?

Very soon you will be able to enjoy all the hard work done by Ugra Media.

What is DCS: Normandy 2.0, and what updates does it bring?
The new DCS: Normandy 2.0 map is a significant upgrade over the original DCS: Normandy 1944 map and will be a greatly enhanced experience of war-time Normandy. 

DCS: Normandy 2.0 is significantly larger than DCS: Normandy 1944 and contains: much greater detail; historical accuracy; texture resolution; much larger high-detail areas (including London and Paris); updated map objects such as models of buildings, trees, bridges, airfield objects, rail lines, roads, fences, poles, and more; many new and remodelled medium to small size urban locations such as new ports, airfields, factories, rivers, canals, and much more.

The image below is a map size and detail comparison:

Normandy2-TheChannel-Updated.png

The release of this new map benefits all existing owners of DCS: Normandy 1944. Owners of the original DCS: Normandy 1944 map will receive a free update that enhances the whole area of the original map to the same high detail level as in DCS: Normandy 2.0. The free update will also include the new much larger DCS: Normandy 2.0 total map area and airfields but at a lower level of detail. 

For a limited time, players that own DCS: Normandy 1944 or DCS: The Channel are eligible to upgrade to or purchase DCS: Normandy 2.0 for a discounted rate. Please read further into the FAQ for more detail.

Please note that DCS: Normandy 2.0 supersedes DCS: Normandy 1944, which will no longer be available for purchase after the release of DCS: Normandy 2.0. Information describing for each user case continues below.

The FAQ provided here should answer the most common questions you may have.

How much will it cost?
DCS: Normandy 2.0 will be $59.99 USD, but has a 20% discount applied while in early access and is $47.99 for this duration. 

For a limited time, players that own DCS: Normandy 1944 or DCS: The Channel are eligible to purchase or upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 for a discounted rate. Please see the pricing matrix below:

You already own: You get DCS: Normandy 2.0 for:
Normandy 1944 $14.99 USD
The Channel $14.99 USD
Normandy 1944 & The Channel $9.99 USD

The pricing above may be subject to change.

How do I purchase DCS: Normandy 2.0? And am I able to try it first?

Click here if flying in Open Beta (will be updated with store page on release)

Click here if flying in Steam (will be updated with store page on release)

If you are flying in Open Beta you may activate a two-week Free Trial of DCS: Normandy 2.0 by pressing the ‘Trial’ button beside the module in the E-shop. You will then be able to download DCS: Normandy 2.0 via the in-game module manager and will have full access to the new terrain for two weeks. The Free Trial programme extends to most DCS module; look for the ‘Trial’ button in the e-shop to participate.

I already own DCS: Normandy 1944. What happens?
Excellent! Your existing DCS: Normandy 1944 map will be updated for free so that the whole area of the original map is in the same high-detail as in the DCS: Normandy 2.0, and you will benefit from updated airfields and a significantly increased total map area but at a lower level of detail.

You will still be able to play on your favourite servers or with friends even if they upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 and you don’t, but your areas of high-detail are significantly smaller and may be missing world objects.

If you wish to, you may pay $14.99 USD to upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 for all the benefits described above.

I already own DCS: The Channel. What happens?
DCS: The Channel remains a separate map made by Eagle Dynamics SA and has not been updated regarding this release. 

In the corner where there is some map overlap, details between the maps may not match up. See the included map showing the DCS: The Channel map vs the DCS: Normandy 2.0 Map

Specifically, DCS: Normandy 2.0 has different airfields, high-detail areas and focus versus DCS: The Channel.

If you wish to, you may pay $14.99 USD to purchase Normandy for all the benefits described above.

I already own both DCS: Normandy 1944 and DCS: The Channel. What about me?
You will automatically benefit with an updated DCS: Normandy 1944 map as described above, but as you additionally own DCS: The Channel, you may upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 for just $9.99 USD

I don’t already own DCS: Normandy 1944 or DCS: The Channel. What are my options?
The DCS: Normandy map is available for purchase for $59.99 USD with a 20% discount while in Early Access.

The original DCS: Normandy 1944 map is no longer available for purchase.

I have DCS Normandy: 1944 and don’t want to pay for an upgrade!
You don’t need to; your existing DCS: Normandy 1944 map will automatically update and you’ll receive updated airfields and a significantly increased total map area.

You will still receive a discounted price if you ever do decide to upgrade to DCS: Normandy 2.0 for all of the benefits described above.

Can I fly with friends or servers if we have mismatching versions of Normandy?
Yes, you will still be able to play with friends and on your favorite servers even if you have DCS: Normandy 1944 and they are running DCS: Normandy 2.0, or vice-versa.

You will be able to fly together but the detail that each of you sees will differ. Those flying DCS: Normandy 2.0 will have a significantly larger area of high detail, including London and Paris and many new and remodelled medium to small size urban locations such as new ports, airfields, factories, rivers, canals, and much more.

Will I have both maps after updating or purchasing?
No. The normal upgrading procedures will be followed and all players will only have one map installed, but their versions may differ. 

Those that upgrade or purchase new will see and fly DCS: Normandy 2.0, and those that don’t upgrade will see and fly DCS: Normandy 1944 (but with updated/upgraded airfields) and a larger map size overall (but in lower detail and with missing world objects). 

The original DCS: Normandy 1944 map is no longer available for purchase

How big is DCS: Normandy 2.0 compared to the DCS: Normandy 1944 map?
Please see the attached image that illustrates the low and high-detail areas of DCS: Normandy 2.0 compared to the original DCS: Normandy 1944. 

DCS: Normandy 2.0 is significantly larger overall with much greater areas of high detail, including London and Paris. 

DCS: Normandy 2.0 spans 400x600 km, with the majority of that in high detail.

What new cities and landmarks have been added?
Chief among them are London and Paris, but many new medium to small size urban locations make up the greatly expanded area and include new ports, airfields, factories, rivers, canals, and more. 

Most of the DCS: Normandy 1944 map objects have also been greatly improved; for example: buildings, bridges, airfield objects, rail lines, roads, trees, fences, poles, and much more.

Am I paying for the same map twice?
No. This new map is a significant upgrade over the original and will be a greatly enhanced experience of war-time Normandy. 

Please read What is DCS: Normandy 2.0 above for more detail of the changes.

Please also read I already own DCS: Normandy 1944. What happens? above for more detail of the differences.

Why create DCS: Normandy 2.0?
The original DCS: Normandy 1944 map was created using older map technology and tools which rendered it impossible to simply expand and update the existing map to achieve DCS: Normandy 2.0.

DCS: Normandy 2.0 has been created with new map technology and tools that have allowed us to increase the map size and amount of detail greatly.

In order to make the maps compatible with one another, the airfields in the original map have all been updated so that the spawn locations match. This way, players can fly together regardless of whether they have the new DCS: Normandy 2.0 or DCS: Normandy 1944.

What about my missions and campaigns?
Some work will be required to adjust for some of the changes to the map.

All existing airfields have been updated and so spawn-locations, script triggers, and so on will need to be checked and re-worked.

New airfields have been created entirely, so there is much greater opportunity for mission and campaign scenarios. For example, many of the UK airfields have been updated heavily to be more historically accurate.

Campaigns such as those from Reflected Simulations have been updated and should be working at release. Please watch his video on this here

ED and Ugra Media will work hard to get the remaining content updated shortly after the Early Access release.

If continuing to fly DCS: Normandy 1944, missions that have been updated to suit DCS: Normandy 2.0 might reference world objects you will not be able to see without the update.

Will the framerates be worse than the current DCS: Normandy 1944 map?
Using the latest Terrain Development Kit (TDK), DCS: Normandy 2.0 has been well optimised and so despite a great increase in the number and detail of objects you should see no loss in performance compared to the original DCS: Normandy 1944 map. 

This will also be aided by the recent release of Multi-Threading by Eagle Dynamics. Please see here for details.

Will there be winter textures?
At this time, no. We plan for DCS: Normandy 2.0 to include Summer as it is being created around operations in Normandy in the summer of 1944 (Opération Neptune) but it will also include Spring and Autumn seasons.

What airfields will be included at release?
The total number of airfields has been increased to 50 for the Early Access version.

Both owners of DCS: Normandy 1944 and those that upgrade to or purchase DCS: Normandy 2.0 will see all of these.

Please see the following list of the initial airfields, which may increase after the Early Access release:

Airfields in France

A1 Saint Pierre du Mont A21 Sainte-Laurent-sur-Mer Fecamp_Benouville Flers
A2 Cricqueville-en-Bessin A24 Biniville Evreux Goulet
B17 Carpiquet A6 Beuzeville Guyancourt Hauterive
A12 Lignerolles A8 Picauville Villacoublay Lonrai
A14 Cretteville A9 Le Molay Saint-Andre de l Eure Poix
A15 Maupertus B11 Longues-sur-Mer Orly Ronai
A16 Brucheville B2 Bazenville Amiens_Glisy Rouen-Boos
A20 Lessay - оригинальны B3 Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer Argentan Saint-Aubin
A3 Cardonville B4 Beny-sur-Mer Avranches Le Val-Saint-Pere Triqueville
A4 Deux Jumeaux B7 Rucqueville Barville Vrigny
A5 Chippelle B8 Sommervieu Conches Broglie
A7 Azeville Beauvais-Tille Creil Beaumont-le-Roger
B9 Lantheuil Cormeilles-en-Vexin Deauville Bernay Saint Martin
A17 Meautis Dinan-Trelivan Essay  

Airfields in UK

Chailey Stoney Cross
Farnborough  
Ford  
Funtington  
Gravesend  
Heathrow (as it was at this time, it is under construction and not usable)  
Kenley  
Needs Oar Point  
Tangmere  
West Malling  
Deanland  
Friston  
Lymington  
Odiham  

We hope that you thoroughly enjoy exploring and experiencing the incredible new WW2 theatre that is DCS: Normandy 2.0. 

We would also like to extend special thanks to our partners Ugra Media for their continued dedication and hard work.

As always, we also would like to thank you for your continued passion and support.

Yours sincerely,

Eagle Dynamics and Ugra Media

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

41 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Cool!

Hiob said it all! :thumbup:

Can't wait for the release and hope that the older DCS WWII modules get a facelift in the future to bring them on today's standard regarding texturing and functionality. And that we will get more modules  which are fitting this great map! (A German counterpart to the Mossie would be nice. :smilewink:)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NineLine said:

Campaigns such as those from Reflected Simulations have been updated and should be working at release. Please watch his video on this here. 

here is the video 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

• ED Team
13 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Edit; Normandy 2 will include spring and fall too, not just summer. Might want to fix that part of the FAQ.

added thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 часов назад, MiGCap1 сказал:

Hiob said it all! :thumbup:

Can't wait for the release and hope that the older DCS WWII modules get a facelift in the future to bring them on today's standard regarding texturing and functionality. And that we will get more modules  which are fitting this great map! (A German counterpart to the Mossie would be nice. :smilewink:)

The sound is updated already and there's some talk of giving the Spit, the Mustang and the German fighters a graphics update, particularly for the cockpit (P-47 and the Mossie have much better looking cockpits ATM). As for a German bomber I vote Ju-88 for versatility, production numbers and widespread use (not many Bf.110 to be seen on the Eastern front for example).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NineLine said:

Will I have both maps after updating or purchasing?
No. The normal upgrading procedures will be followed and all players will only have one map installed, but their versions may differ. 

Will the normal open beta updating process remove the Normandy map 1.0 when installing the new one, or will we need to manually remove Normandy 1.0 before installing 2.0?

• Like 1

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, burritto said:

What will happen to the Dedicated Server Install?  Will it update automatically to the new Normandy 2 full map? Will NORMANDY_terrain still be the install/uninstall id for the new 'modular' server install?

Dedicated server install will update automatically and the terrain ID will remain NORMANDY_terrain

37 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

Will the normal open beta updating process remove the Normandy map 1.0 when installing the new one, or will we need to manually remove Normandy 1.0 before installing 2.0?

It will all be handled by the updater and will update the old terrain. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, PeevishMonkey said:

Could you tell me, how much free disk space I will need to install Normandy 2.0?

I'm afraid, I'll have to remove old Normandy in case of having the new...

The Normandy 1.0 map will cease to exist and will be overwritten by the Normandy 2.0 anyways. When you don't buy the new one, you will just miss out some of the higher detailed areas. It's all in the FAQ.

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Awesomeness! Great FAQ.

Sounds like we are getting really, really close. Can't wait to refly Reflected's Spit campaigns.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I applaud the decision to introduce discount for The Channel Map owners as well. 👌

My questions:

- whats the size of this map (on disk)?

- the high detail area has rather odd shape - is the part with Dover, Calais and Dunkirk planned to be updated to high detail later as well?

1 hour ago, Jascha said:

is the part with Dover, Calais and Dunkirk planned to be updated to high detail later as well?

Since those areas are covered in the Channel map they are currently saying no.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

1 hour ago, Stackup said:

Since those areas are covered in the Channel map they are currently saying no.

That's rather disappointing. I think it's a good opportunity to fix the mess caused by weird decision to have two separate maps for (more or less) the same thing (and same period of time).

Incorporate the Channel map area into Normandy 2.0 map (as high detailed area that is currently missing). Make the purchase attractive by discounting it to the Channel Map owners (also after the initial special offer there should be *some* discount available). Discontinue sales of the Channel Map.

The only difference in comparison to Normandy 1944 map should be - the Channel map stays available to people who buy it before pulling it from store.

That's how I see it.

Edited by Jascha
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Jascha said:

That's rather disappointing. I think it's a good opportunity to fix the mess caused by weird decision to have two separate maps for (more or less) the same thing (and same period of time).

Incorporate the Channel map area into Normandy 2.0 map (as high detailed area that is currently missing). Make the purchase attractive by discounting it to the Channel Map owners (also after the initial special offer there should be *some* discount available). Discontinue sales of the Channel Map.

The only difference in comparison to Normandy 1944 map should be - the Channel map stays available to people who buy it before pulling it from store.

That's how I see it.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:46 PM, NineLine said:

It's not so easy sadly. We already have a large investment in The Channel, and you can't just copy and paste into the Normandy Map, but Management is aware of this wish. 

On 4/7/2023 at 4:38 PM, NineLine said:

Enough now guys, you are getting way off topic.

The Channel is a separate map done by a separate development team (us) before it was known that Ugra was going to do Normandy 2. 

It makes no sense right now until there is some tech to join maps to overlap major areas so Ugra left the Channel Map area off Normandy 2. 

If you own The Channel Map you get a discount on Normandy 2.

Please stick with the discussions of Normandy 2 and Normandy 2 only it has been explained enough why the Channel Map area is not included.

Thanks.

• Like 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Just blew 50 euro for chinese food and a few bottles of beer for myself and the wife.

We will get one night of fun for that 50 bucks...

For 10 or 15 bucks i will get thousands of hours of fun.

Honestly i feel the devs have been very generous with this upgrade and lets face it: The map looks as sexy as it gets.

Just saying.

Edited by Roy35150
mispelling oops
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Roy35150 said:

Just blew 50 euro for chinese food and a few bottles of beer for myself and the wife.

We will get one night of fun for that 50 bucks...

For 10 or 15 bucks i will get thousands of hours of fun.

Honestly i feel the devs have been very generous with this upgrade and lets face it: The map looks as sexy as it gets.

Just saying.

You compare a night of fun with your wife and the new Normandy map? Puh, what a tragedy...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, THERION said:

Puh, what a tragedy...

great argument ... what's your point really? 🙄

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB