F-20 mod for F-5?

Visyxl

Don't really know a lot about the F-20 other than.... It was kind of garbage. Though, I am soon getting the F-5 Module in DCS So can anyone just modify it slightly so it has the same Weight/Thrust etc... Like the F-15EX mod for the F-15C FC3? Would be cool...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Visyxl said:

Would be cool...

but unrealistic, what's the fun in that? .. I like DCS because it allows me to experience what flying a real aircraft is like and learn about its systems .. the F-5E is great,  a Mod derived from it not so much.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well... I heard there was an abandoned project long ago soooooooo.... make up your mind with that.. I mean the F-5 was developed into like 4 other aircraft including the F-20 and uhhh one of them had 2 tails? The community can come together and mod them with the correct Weight,Thrust,Venter of gravity etc....

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, Rudel_chw said:

but unrealistic, what's the fun in that? .. I like DCS because it allows me to experience what flying a real aircraft is like and learn about its systems .. the F-5E is great,  a Mod derived from it not so much.

<RANT>

...which is what cracks me up when YouTube content creators whip out a couple mods and proclaim this aircraft superior to that aircraft in some performance characteristic.  They're mods.  Fiction.  Somebody's idea of what the real thing might be capable of.  In my world there's no point wasting time watching videos of mods; better to watch Star Wars, because we can decide once and for all if the X-Wing is better than a TIE fighter...

</RANT>

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 8:26 AM, Visyxl said:

I mean the F-5 was developed into like 4 other aircraft including the F-20 and uhhh one of them had 2 tails? 

You probably mean the Hornet. 🙂 Yeah, sure, it's quite removed from F-5, but the YF-17 was very much a descendant of that line, and the F-18 is a further refinement of it.

Well, either that, or that Iranian F-5 derivative with twin tails. 

2 hours ago, Raisuli said:

<RANT>

...which is what cracks me up when YouTube content creators whip out a couple mods and proclaim this aircraft superior to that aircraft in some performance characteristic.  They're mods.  Fiction.  Somebody's idea of what the real thing might be capable of.  In my world there's no point wasting time watching videos of mods; better to watch Star Wars, because we can decide once and for all if the X-Wing is better than a TIE fighter...

</RANT>

I agree. The only mod that I consider even close to realistic is the A4- and that’s because it would be hard to fake the performance when so many have actually piloted it. 

Just now, ricktoberfest said:

I agree. The only mod that I consider even close to realistic is the A4- and that’s because it would be hard to fake the performance when so many have actually piloted it. 

I do have the A-4 community mod, I confess.  Sorry, Reflected, but I have to draw the line somewhere!  As far as I know that's the only mod.  Used to have mil and commercial aircraft mods, but that started to cause issues and I dumped them.

The F-104 mod is tempting, but so far I've resisted it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I agree. Besides the F-20 wasn't adopted by any air force around the world.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, Rudel_chw said:

Mod does not imply unrealistic. And replicating the F-20 in DCS sounds like a good way to learn about it, from what you stated I'm a bit lost as to why you'd be against it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 8 months later...

The F-20 was by all accounts an incredible aircraft in many respects being revered by its test pilots...  Way ahead of its time some may say, fielding a true modern BVR capability before even the venerable F-16A (initial batch, same era).   Alas the F-20 was overshadowed by the F-16 sales team and, of course, politics & politicians.

Edited by Tengah

• 4 weeks later...

The F-16 at the time (early 80s) had a very powerful lobby that made sure the US government eliminated any competition to it. That included the F-20 and Israeli Lavi.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!