Navigator viewport

Minhal

In the real plane, i guess the navigator turned 90 degrees left on his seat to operate all the equipment back there.

Just trying the Mossie on trial and i could not find a viewport that would replicate this and is suitable for prolonged operation in the rear. Just the forward looking when pressing 2. Am i missing something?

No, that's how it is. You have to turn around using your TrackIR or VR.

I guess setting up custom snapview could help you in this case.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 hours ago, Art-J said:

No, that's how it is. You have to turn around using your TrackIR or VR.

I guess setting up custom snapview could help you in this case.

Ah damn, thanks for clarifying. Thats really a deal breaker sadly.

Snapview is not an option since my brain is so accustomed to TrackIR, it really does not like switching between static and moving cockpit view. (Or forced movement, since i was happy to see one can deactivate the automatic cruise/gunsight shift). Operating back there with TrackIR really asks to do some weird gymastics over some time, so this is not an option either.

Guess i'll give it two weeks and check out everything else on the Mossie and maybe make a wishlist item for this. Pressing 3 for a rear looking navigator position should be possible and easily solve this.

Yeah, it is a bit unfortunate, especially given the fact that right after initial release, it was actually easier to turn around with TrackIR and reach radio panels back there from navigator's seat. The radios were still not fully implemented, but operating the knobs was easier, even though from slightly unrealistic positions.

They changed it in the second or third patch, however, and now there are some "invisible walls" limiting look-around capability. I guess they wanted to simulate ergonomic restrictions of the very tight cockpit of the real thing (no, I dont think it was possible for the navigator to turn 90 deg), but now, even though knobs are clickable, it's more difficult to look at each gauge scale.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

21 hours ago, Minhal said:

Operating back there with TrackIR really asks to do some weird gymastics over some time, so this is not an option either.

It has been a long time since I used TrackIR, but I think you have a command to re-ecener the viewpoint direction.

If youu do then you should be able to use this handy effect I have in VR

It goes like this ..

Screen_230427_161759.jpg Move to Nav seat. Turn head rightto look at the wing tip. Re-center the viewpoint Screen_230427_174910.jpg Now you have the centered view with your head still turned far to the right Screen_230427_161913.jpg So looking straight ahead you have this ..

Screen_230427_161828.jpg And now it is easy to look a bit to the left to see and access all the radio controls

Screen_230427_161949.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactil
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Terry Dactil said:

Screen_230427_161913.jpg So looking straight ahead you have this ..

And who is flying the plane? 😱 🙈

:laugh:

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

50 minutes ago, Bozon said:

And who is flying the plane? 😱 🙈

Yeah. That's the big problem ED needs to fix.

I either set up as much as I can on the ground before takeoff, or I use VoiceAttack to ask Nigel my navigator to turn on the power and select all the required mode..

Then I can leap into the Nav seat and twiddle the knob to set the correct frequency and maybe get back into the pilot seat before the crash.  😀

Edited by Terry Dactil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

It has been a long time since I used TrackIR, but I think you have a command to re-ecener the viewpoint direction.

If youu do then you should be able to use this handy effect I have in VR

It goes like this ..

Screen_230427_161759.jpg Move to Nav seat. Turn head rightto look at the wing tip. Re-center the viewpoint Screen_230427_174910.jpg Now you have the centered view with your head still turned far to the right Screen_230427_161913.jpg So looking straight ahead you have this ..

Screen_230427_161828.jpg And now it is easy to look a bit to the left to see and access all the radio controls

Screen_230427_161949.jpg

Good point, did not think about this. But not really workable sadly as your movements are still relative to the front of the plane. So if you look left physically, the pilot leans "left" (relative to the front of the plane) to "look over his shoulder" (see video). Also all the XYZ movements are still relative to the planes 12 o'clock. Physically leaning left makes you lean "forward" (direction to the pilots seat).

I'll take some time the next days and make this a wishlist item, no clue why something crucial was not in from the start.