Learning the Spitfire Mk IX

Lined up the Spitfire after flying the P-51D for about 3-4 weeks, must say it's a lot more sensitive and almost effortless to fly. More worried about VNE than keeping speed up as I was in the P-51, after firing up DCS about 4-5 weeks ago for the first time.

Though I do miss the sensations you get when actually flying, as you instinctively move the controls to counter the effects and can react to the picture changing quicker than it seems I can in DCS. My reactions are a lot better now than 4 weeks ago - just a case of relearning the cues. I'm no RL pilot just did a fair bit of gliding back in the day.

I do find the Spitfire graphics - compared with later developed modules, a bit old hat - the canopy for one. All those Perspex scratches. Having worked on fast jets and slow ones too. I doubt the scratches would pass the BF or even be mentioned in the Lim log. Does it always seem to be foggy when looking near to the sun. Can't see any demist controls as in the P-51?

Do modules ever get re-worked, updated at all?

My landinds 8-12 are below for those interested. The nose is espcially long, so I don't think i'll ever arrive finals low again!

Only wing tips were harmed in the making of this montage!

Spoiler

The Spitfire is from 2017, has gotten a cockpit update and seems to get another graphical update soon. So yes, they get constantly updated. 

Demist and window fogging isn't simulated in any airplane in DCS except in the JF-17 and I think also the Mb-339. So the levers don't have any effect at all. 

21 minutes ago, razo+r said:

The Spitfire is from 2017, has gotten a cockpit update and seems to get another graphical update soon. So yes, they get constantly updated. 

Demist and window fogging isn't simulated in any airplane in DCS except in the JF-17 and I think also the Mb-339. So the levers don't have any effect at all. 

Thanks, I hadn't used the P-51's demist, noticed it was there when looking for swiches to map.

I'll look forward to the re-worked Spitfire as I think I may be flying this the most out of the 3 props I have.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a few good flights out in the Spit recently, mainly on the 4YA Normandy training server. I did have a go on at the PvP Normandy server but I must say more people saw me than I saw them. Shot down once and saved a few times with a helpful "Spit break" shout out over the comms.

I really want to get the track of where I'm trailing friendly bombers and I hear "Spit trailing bombers break!" I kid you not I saw orange shots flash by as I pulled so hard I immediately blacked out - He climbed back into the clouds.

I have the track on my PC but this was before I knew that DCS automatically saves each online track to the tracks\multiplayer folder. I now have a fair few to go though, and its a slow process as the DCS replay function is somewhat prehistoric.

4k really is a hinderance with out any map aids as I'm now finding out. Dots are a pain for sure - thought I left that behind in WT.

4K is a bad way to fly DCS WW2, frustratingly. I nipped it back to 2K (2160/1080) and you can actually see bandits again. I have a hunch ED might be working on something to do with spotting after that mod was released and blocked under integrity check the other week but that work remains to be confirmed publicly.

Best thing to do on the PO server is to key up SRS and ask if anyone's looking for a wingman or flying to a specific objective. Flying together makes both of you much more survivable as you can cover each other's sixes. We have a wingman finder channel in our Discord server too.

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, Skewgear said:

4K is a bad way to fly DCS WW2, frustratingly. I nipped it back to 2K (2160/1080) and you can actually see bandits again. I have a hunch ED might be working on something to do with spotting after that mod was released and blocked under integrity check the other week but that work remains to be confirmed publicly.

I did use this saw it and tried it out a few weeks ago now, pity it's been blocked with no ED replacement. Though not seen any errors on launching DCS or is it blocked for multilayer?

• 5 months later...