Poor Man's TEDAC

Go to solution Solved by Blazkovitch,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Recently I bought a 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth Controller and with either bluetooth connection or beta firmware for dongle it works pretty well. Bluetooth/beta fw is required to use triggers as buttons instead of a shared axis - I wanted to lase while firing Hellfires. You can also use 8BitDo software to map P1/P2 buttons to diagonal D-Pad (up-left and down-right).

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the 8BitDo Pro2 controller but using their software so far, I have been unable to make P1 & P2 pads underneath the device to work. Also, the two buttons right next to the analog mini-sticks are not recognised by DCS, not to even mention splitting the triggers' axes into a stage one and two dual-purpose buttons. Is there a software out there that could unlock this device's full potential?

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's a different pad so YMMV but I used 8BitDo's software because 3rd party software (e.g. vjoy or UCR) is buggy as hell and it crashed quite often when doing more complicated stuff. Also, the axis splitting is complicated because windows treats both triggers to be on the same axis so you cannot pull both at the same time so I decided to not use the 1st stage triggers.

P1/P2 are programmable which means that the DCS won't see them as separate buttons unless you assign them to a macro (e.g. diagonal D-Pad) in a profile. I don't know why the mini-buttons are not working. 

• Like 1

This is saddening. I'm spoiled by Virpil's configuration tool for my cyclic and collective, with curves, deadzones and analog-to-button functionality and in the meantime no one can manufacture a simple gaming pad with customisable axes and buttons..

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well.. only the sim crowd needs this kind of functionality and pads are usually not considered a sim-grade equipment so I somewhat understand simpler functionality 🙂 On the other hand I'm pretty sure that you could do all that if given enough access to the firmware. You can set customizable dead-zones and assign macros to specific buttons so adding curves and analog-to-button mapping is just few lines of code away. Especially if you consider that beta-firmware already does that (more or less) for triggers.

My only complaint is that the P1/P2 buttons are momentary-only (they do not register a continous button-press) and you cannot create layers with P1/P2 acting as modifiers. I even dropped an email to 8bitdo support and they said that they will consider adding these features but we all know how long it usually takes 😛

• Like 1