A2A against helicopters... what do I do?

kratz

I'm on the mission 'On the Other Side', where you fly over the mountains, attack a base in coordination with some attack aircraft, and then a pair of Mi-24Vs show up and proceed to kick my flight's ass...

I imagine the 'correct' thing to do in this situation is to engage them with the cannon, but I can't even get the cannon to *fire* in this situation... in fact, I have cannon issues in general.

I get the concept, that I should use the helmet mounted sight to aim the cannon within the bounds of it's movement, and engage targets, but it seems that the last thing I had locked in the Shkval contains the area in which I can shoot, maybe? I tried hitting 'P', which I thought would release the cannon to me, but no dice... I hit the A/A button on the targeting control, but I don't know how to target an aircraft.

A step by step would be a terrific help.

If your cannon wont fire, make sure the manual / auto button is set to manual, that way you will have no problems firing missiles and cannon without having to be within the correct parameters.

I cant recall the mission your on but try and hit them with your missiles, select A2A and if the helos are coming towards you then select headon, if no then select the other mode and target them and fire 2 missiles a pop, once fired and detonated turn and run then get into another position and either do the same or sneak behind them and cannon them :) = easier said than done.

Most of all, dont try to be a fighter aircraft in this helo and try and dogfight them as you will not win since the other helos can swing their guns to either side unlike us who have to shoot with the nose pointing at the target.

• Like 1

'P' I think of as the "Point and Shoot" mode (as a quick reminder, it toggles between gunsight and auto-tracking, it can take a few seconds to switch between the two).

In point-and-shoot mode don't forget to switch to cannon "c". I think of it as CP (combat pilot time), and hit my C and P keys. Mental jogs can help relax you in times of stress, also soothing music when available.

In this particular mission you have the advantage that the Mi24s come down the valley towards you, head-on aspect. Lock them up for a long range VKHR shot, zoom in and make the gate as small as possible (use the [] bracket keys), target the chopper a little above centre if you can. Not important but it can help if it turns.

You might also want to use the AA mode AND the AA/HO mode together if you have time to fumble for those controls.

I wouldn't recommend the HMS in these situations. It's hard enough to fly and point your head in the right direction. Keep it simple. Also try using the wingman as a human shield, tell him to engage the bandits to give you some time in getting your targets locked up, this is funnier in multiplayer situations.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats

Oh, I didn't realize I could lock air targets w/ my missiles.

Thanks guys... I will try some of these things!

I was just messing about with the shooting range... it seems that in gunsight mode, the cannon is not affected by the helmet sight at all... is that right? There is no mode for the cannon where you exclusively control it with head movement?

Hrm... I must still be missing something... I don't think I quite understand the targeting systems, maybe.

I did the 'Battle' mission, and there were airborne targets that I tried to engage... I was in A/A mode, I would find them with the Shkval, and try to lock them with 'ENTER' when the box was over them, and it didn't do anything...

Looking through this stuff, it seems that maybe there is a way to get things to be automatically targeted based on movement or something?

And HMS = ?

For HMS engagements I would suggest the following :

I assume you do not have track IR, so I would turn on Padlock under Options/Gameplay

When in combat perform the following checklist:

Master Arm on [W LAlt]

Laser On [O RShift]

HMS on [H]

Air to Air mode on [V]

Select gun [C]

Uncage Shkval [O]

Padlock Bandit [Num .]

Designate target [O] (Moves shkval to padlocked target)

Lock target [Enter]

Repeat the last two steps in fast sequence until you get a lock. Steer your heli into shooting parameters. Shoot.

I hope this helps. Cheers.