Realistic gunsight effect

From mine understanding the sight on the 109 and many other German fighters, even though mounted on the right side, didn’t need the pilot to actually move his head to be used. 
instead, keeping the head in the central position, he would see the reticle through the right eye and no reticle through the left, thus having the illusion of a center reticle almost floating in thin air. Maybe vr users can help me here. 
so it would be great to have a way to simulate the “center” reticle without having to move your head in 2d as well

• Like 1

You got it wrong, German pilots did aim with their right eye only mate (not easy to keep it like that under G's, many times told by veterans). That illusion you mention is just that, an illusion, don't know where you got that from, but they had to use their right eye only and there were no magic glass making the right eye sight viewable and usable for both eyes. You can mimic that behaviour in VR, but on screen there's no way for that, just no way. Old sims might fake that just putting the sight in the middle, but it's just false. So you have to use the change position option when the sight if unfolded or centred view if you would want so for any weird reason. Then again, auto option is fine if you don't want to be messing with the sight every time.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

By right eye only you mean closing the left eye? If so do you have source for this because I couldn’t find any, and I would honestly find it way too disadvantageous, losing sense of depth.

it’s not a magic glass, is basic stereoscopic. If my right eye watches the sight and my left has instead a clear view, the brain will mash up the two images together, creating the fore mentioned illusion. 
something similar to the monocle of the apache or the hmd but not bound to head movement.

Not closing, if you practice and get used to it, I guess, but yes right eye only since the sight is lined up to it and if you are unable to do it like that, well I guess you could close your left eye if the "don't close your left eye police" never catches you in such a flagrant offence 😁 .

I guess it depends on every individual but that effect you mention, well in cameras and so I believe it'd be easier to happen that on your brain (like movie theatre's 3D glasses, some people get used to them, some don't). Anyhow, even if you practice, get used to it and all (as said, in VR I know it's an option and you can do it like that, I don't use VR though so never tried) one has to remember every time (till one's used to it) your aiming eye is the right one (IRL also) and it'd be a bad mistake to forget it while one tries to aim both eyes or even left one.

I don't recall where I read that, maybe Galland's memories, maybe Heinz Knoke ones (quite posible), any other or both, or even maybe some articles or whatever, can't recall really, possibly several sources to be honest. I recall though that sentence (some memoirs probably) "remember to use your right eye", and the under G's it's not easy to keep it like that. Anyhow, it's been discussed here at the forums and that's how I know VR have that option implemented, one eye, the other or both, to your liking, IIRC. Even in VR you have to get used to that, so there's the both eyes option. And it happens in every German fighter, both 190s also are like that, it was their thing for a reason unlike centre mounted sights in Allied aircraft.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 5/3/2023 at 7:30 PM, algherghezghez said:

Ok, I just checked in vr and with two eyes the sight just looks more like to the center, I wish we could have a way to reproduce that. But I fear it’s almost impossible 

i don't have VR headset yet, but according with 3 of my squad mates who are using VR headset from months ago. if you have the VR pov settings propertly centered in the cockpit, you must see the optical sight only centered with the right eye, as it was in the real Bf-109.and you must be able to aiming with the right eye in the lateral emergency iron sight too.

8E2D4F7B-8354-40B6-8996-F81D2FEF837C.jpeg

Edited by IIIJG52_Otto_