F16 and F18 in headwind, incorrect CAS value shown in the HUD by A LOT

JCTherik

The headwind component of airspeed seems to be calculated incorrectly when near the ground, or on the ground.

Strong wind will show it the best, in all the screenshots, there's ~90kn of headwind pretty much nose on, yet the huds of 16 and 18 show 175kn. That's almost double.

All airplanes are parked on the ground.

The airplane still behaves consistently with 90kn airspeed, ie. cannot rotate, but when forced to rotate by other means, can just barely hold nosewheel off the ground.

After takeoff, few hundred feet above the ground the airspeed seems correct, but the closer to the ground the more off it is.

The wind on the ground seems lower than the wind just barely few hundred feet up, and my guess is the HUD just calculates the airspeed with the wind value that's few hundred feet above, ignoring the fact that next to the ground, the airspeed is lower.

Having a correct airspeed indicated is absolutely crucial for flying, especially on takeoff and landing in strong winds.

Sure, 90kn wind is not realistic, but it seems to be off even at lower speeds.

Following are screenshots of HUDs with screenshots of F2 views, which seems to report correct values. Tomcat shows correct airspeed, included for reference.

EDIT, sorry for crap screenshots, i'll remake them

Screen_230501_214435.jpg

Screen_230501_214424.jpg

Screen_230501_214408.jpg

Screen_230501_214350.jpg

Screen_230501_214319.jpg

Screen_230501_214254.jpg

wrong-ias.trk

Edited by JCTherik
better screenshots
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eeeh, I don't know what to say, really.

I'm talking about the IAS in the HUD being shown incorrectly on takeoff and landing, which is... kinda important...

I made sure to put an effort into this bug report, there is a description, screenshots and track replay, all together with a probable cause, and a description of expected behaviour.

It's been a month without any response. Is this being worked on or is it being ignored?

14 hours ago, JCTherik said:

It's been a month without any response. Is this being worked on or is it being ignored?

You did all well, thanks. You just can't demand a response, note, work reports or ETAs on fixes. Just report and move on, they assure us they do read bug reports.

We all have our favourite bugs listed to squash some day.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

they assure us they do read bug reports

I've read that too, but sometimes there are some bug reports that linger around for years, and are brought up again and again before being acknowledged. And since there's no [REPORTED] or [INVESTIGATING] here, I'm worried that it fell through the cracks.

I'm not asking for ETA, or progress report, just a little "Filed" reply, or [REPORTED] flair.

But anyway, if you say it's filed, it's filed, I'll leave it.

• ED Team

Thank you for the report @JCTherik please feel free to tag me or message me in the future if you think a bug has been over looked. 

I have reported to the dev team.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2