reference button use on ground not working anymore for manual course setting?

Snappy

Hi,

has something been changed with use of the reference button on ground? I used to be able to press it once aligned with the runway  centerline and you could see the compass on the central indicator do the manual update/correction and snap to runway heading.

The manual also mentions that function , the manual course setting:

"Manual course setting If needed. Press Reference button (on stick) after carefully aligning with the runway heading."

This no longer seems to work, you can press the reference button, but nothing happens , the compass rose does not adjust.

In the air the reference button works as it should.

Can somebody confirm this?

regards,

Snappy

Just to confirm... did the compass rose NOT show the correct runway heading at that very moment before pressing the REF button?

I think this step - in DCS - has never been necessary, because - just my perception - the HUD and the compass rose always showed the correct heading once BANA / GRÄNS was used to manually select the runway heading (and btw. not forgetting about the 2 minutes time window before lineup ON the runway).

I can't confirm your experiences, because I never used the REF button on the runway. But I will try this once I have access to my rig.
As far as I can remember my fellow mate Quigon sometimes used the REF button, maybe he can tell us about his experiences meanwhile.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

31 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Just to confirm... did the compass rose NOT show the correct runway heading at that very moment before pressing the REF button?

I think this step - in DCS - has never been necessary, because - just my perception - the HUD and the compass rose always showed the correct heading once BANA / GRÄNS was used to manually select the runway heading (and btw. not forgetting about the 2 minutes time window before lineup ON the runway).

I can't confirm your experiences, because I never used the REF button on the runway. But I will try this once I have access to my rig.
As far as I can remember my fellow mate Quigon sometimes used the REF button, maybe he can tell us about his experiences meanwhile.

Some long time ago, the compass rose was always offset by a few degrees until you pressed the REF button, then the rose adjusted to the correct heading. 

Nowadays the rose always shows the correct heading even before pressing the REF button. 

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

Hi @TOViper  , yes It was like @razo+r wrote , there used to be a slight discrepancy on the compass rose on the ground and once aligned with the runway centreline you could press the reference button and see it snap onto the correct course. It was only a small correction, maybe 3-5 degrees max.

But it could well be that this initial discrepancy has become eliminated by one of the patches and the compass rose is now always spot-on by default, I just re-familiarized myself with the Viggen after quite a while. Like I said, in the air the reference button works and performs its function in regards to altitude setting like it should.

Regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

Now, after having access to my rig again, I figured out that the reference button works on ground (at least for what I consider it to be used).

After line-up on RWY07, I entered 0740 (which is 074.0°) into BANA GRÄNS, which is the true heading of the runway center line.
This was then shown satisfactorily OK on both the HUD and the ROSE.

Then I mis-aligned the aircraft just a bit, and pressed the REF button, with the consequence of the ROSE turning from the current true heading to the entered runway heading of 074.
Seems to work, does it?

See attached track.

Steps to reproduce:
Use current OB, MT, Caucaus, single aircraft, out of ME
Hot spawn on ground with B0 as starting base
Manually entered coords of Kutaisi for LS
Manually entered 0740 for BANA GRÄNS (this was somehow necessary two times, don't know what I did wrong ... ).

edit: I did a second run, this time with using 9014 as LS, then bad line-up, then REF button > works OK too, see attached track _2.trk

2023-05-02_AJS37_Reference_button_works.trk

2023-05-02_AJS37_Reference_button_works_2.trk

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

2 hours ago, Snappy said:

Hi @TOViper  , yes It was like @razo+r wrote , there used to be a slight discrepancy on the compass rose on the ground and once aligned with the runway centreline you could press the reference button and see it snap onto the correct course. It was only a small correction, maybe 3-5 degrees max.

How was it possible that I have overseen this little issue in 7 years??? :doh:
ShameShameShameOnMe

my computer:

On 5/2/2023 at 12:19 PM, Snappy said:

But it could well be that this initial discrepancy has become eliminated by one of the patches and the compass rose is now always spot-on by default, I just re-familiarized myself with the Viggen after quite a while. Like I said, in the air the reference button works and performs its function in regards to altitude setting like it should.

Regards,

Snappy

I noticed this too, the initial alignment of the directional gyro is now perfect, instead of having a small error.  

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 2 weeks later...

I also wondered why this had disappeared, makes sense now if it is perfectly aligned from startup.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄