Steam version or not steam version

sando520

I recently downloaded DCS from Steam and I am wondering which version is better, the steam version or the non steam version. I know one downside is that I don't get to have the 50% off for new users and I can't use promocodes from a youtuber I watch. If I keep the steam version then I get to use the steam sale prices. Is there other things that I am missing that the respective versions have?

They are exactly the same.
I have standalone because
ED gets more money
I get Miles
I can use Skatezilla's launcher
Sometimes the Steam launcher gets corrupted, or other Steam issues

Some people like to have all their licenses on Steam, but still have the Standalone version installed.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Standalone version offers two-week free trials of almost all of the modules (minus campaigns and some of the 3rd party products) - that's a major advantage if you're not willing to spend money on something which later turns out to be not your thing. Try a plane or a map for two weeks and return it if you don't like it. You will also be able to repeat the trial 6 months later. Steam 2-hour (?) refund option can't even compare here.

As for the prices, if you're not located in a specific country with Steam regional pricing (which can be significantly lower compared to standard USD equivalent price I admit), I think sales on ED shop offer roughly similar prices to Steam overall and they start in similar dates compared to Steam sales.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

As for the prices, if you're not located in a specific country with Steam regional pricing

And you can purchase your modules on steam with regional price, and still use them on standalone.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

There's very little reason to do that, though. If you're buying everything through Steam because of regional pricing, there's basically no reason to install standalone. Maybe if you want the Mudhen on a discount, but depending on where you are you'll be getting a raw deal even with the preorder discount. I found Steam more reliable, and much smarter, about how it installs updates than what I hear the standalone launcher does.

I'm on Steam and I'm not really sure why. I guess I grabbed the free version back in the day while cruising Steam and just stuck with it. And since it works, I saw no reason the change. Also, I like the Steam wallet.

I also have the stand alone version on a separate drive just for the free trials.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

And you can purchase your modules on steam with regional price, and still use them on standalone.

so i can use the steam purchases on standalone but not standalone purchases on steam?

• Like 1

Correct. I suspect this is because downloading modules you don't own on Steam is not possible unless they're part of the base game (and we know how bloated DCS gets), so doing it the other way is not feasible. The other WWII sim does it like this, but that means every single bit of content, even unowned ones, has get downloaded, which results in a waste of disk space (admittedly, that one is much smaller than DCS).

12 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Correct. I suspect this is because downloading modules you don't own on Steam is not possible unless they're part of the base game (and we know how bloated DCS gets), so doing it the other way is not feasible. The other WWII sim does it like this, but that means every single bit of content, even unowned ones, has get downloaded, which results in a waste of disk space (admittedly, that one is much smaller than DCS).

so which do you prefer, steam or standalone?

I use Steam, mostly because of the aforementioned regional pricing. Standalone is better if you're either paying in USD or in one of the few stronger currencies (since on Steam you must pay in your local currency). My currency is rather wimpy, so Steam is the better deal. 

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

My currency is rather wimpy, . . . 

A fellow Canadian? 😆

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

. . . so Steam is the better deal. 

Right now the A-10C II is about $5 less on Steam once the exchange is done. $75US on Steam Canada vs. $80US main site.

In the end, it only matters where you're more comfortable setting up shop. I can't say Steam is better, but if you're on a platform that works for you and keeps you playing and keeps you spending, that's the ballgame I guess. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW,

one more aspect, it may only apply to a few but it's valid.

As of now, if you want DCS on Linux, the only way that I am aware of and using myself ( Dual Boot ) is via Steam and Proton.

I myself buy directly and if I ever need to run DCS solely on Linux there will hopefully be a way to use the standard install with it's licenses ( maybe there already is ).

Only the first few modules I own were bought via Steam, so when I give Linux DCS a spin I am limited to just a few modules and caucasus.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X